Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
My older AA hulls are starting to feel brittle. The mouth of the case is a little more ragged than fresh hulls. Would Armor All or silicone help or should I just chuck all the older ones? The oldes hulls I would get some powder darkening at the crimp and I chucked all of those.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
BP-B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I keep shooting them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
chuck em when the side crack extends below the top crimp when loaded.
and, if one of the 8 point crimps just overlaps and fingernails, instead of being a fold.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Pretty much as bobski suggests though with some hulls I go longer until petals break off and a dab of wax is needed to keep in the shot. I'll go this far if the hull does not crack past the crimp fold. The very last loading typically goes through an auto as I won't be looking to load them again.

I may not go to such extremes with 12 or maybe 20 ga hulls but I'll do so with 16, 28, and 410 ga hulls. I don't have access to a 410 auto but they are so seldom found when dumpster diving that I'll run them right into the ground. I'll even trim 3" to 2 1/2" as the longer hull wears out.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bobski
and, if one of the 8 point crimps just overlaps and fingernails, instead of being a fold.

i had that issue with Winchester AA-HS 12 gauge hulls and had to discard them until I replaced the crimp forming die for my Hornady 366 made specifically for the AA-HS hulls and the problem of bulging side cracks went away.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
All good answers but hulls are basically free anymore so help yourself at the trash can or dumpster. The price of shot is why damn few load shotshells any more. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also what bobski, says. If it’ll hold a crimp, it’s safely shootable, and i don’t worry about shot dribbling out and poofs. Minor pinholes, short cracks limited to crimp area or little into shoulder, wrinkly crimps, powder burns be dammmned. If need be a little piece of masking tape, and into the “last chance” box. This isn’t metallic reloading. Up to you. My vanity and ocd is limited to wiping a hull before goes in press with a pledge dampened rag. Grit gone, look newish, eject slick.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
All good answers but hulls are basically free anymore so help yourself at the trash can or dumpster. The price of shot is why damn few load shotshells any more. MB

Yeah, but it varies. I live in the sticks, dedicated reloader country. Empties scarce. When go back east, lots of empties, but heavily walmart throw-aways these days, for economic reasons you cited. So, funny, but some still hoard and milk, you know?

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bobski

After somewhere around 300,000 reloads and pushing them to several reloads after this description, I've finally decided that the tape, wax, and shot falling out of the weak crimps isn't worth it, so I now throw my beloved old style AAs when they meet this description. I've also realized that I'll never shoot the thousands of once fired old style AAs that I've saved from my Trap and Skeet competition days.

Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
I had that issue with Winchester AA-HS 12 gauge hulls and had to discard them until I replaced the crimp forming die for my Hornady 366 made specifically for the AA-HS hulls and the problem of bulging side cracks went away.

I've been using Pacific/Hornady 366 loaders (I have one for each gauge) since the early '80s. I've never had any problems loading any of the old style AAs, but the primers wouldn't fully seat in the new HS hulls until I bought a spring loaded primer seating rod from Hornady. I've never had any problems with the original crimp forming dies.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's interesting situation hull wise these days.Has been for a long time like Buffy I still have a lifetime supply of old style AA's. But I'm also a scrounger, I've allways liked loading federals also.
Years ago at the gun club I shoot at I was told I could have all the hulls I wanted. At the time they were selling Federal Top gun loads and everyone but me regarded them as throwaways. They load slick and work ok for me.. FREE It doesn"t bother me to change loads if I can score real savings cash wise on good component deals. It is how I roll. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sandcritter where are you located maybe I could get you some hills
M B

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks. I will load till they leak or just before. Due to a couple of moves I stopped reloading but kept most of the components including a couple hundred pounds of shot. The savings will be used to finance other hunts and I like the quality and uniformity of the reloads. I can't blame switching shells for bad shooting.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I turn the old ones into hunting ammo. If I lose them or step on them, no biggie.

I generally shoot about 100 rounds at the skeet range a week, so I go thru hulls pretty quick.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What Bobski said. Run them out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i got a bunch of once fired 12ga prepacked usps medium size boxes of 250 black rem, estates, blue rio, and gun clubs sitting in the corner when the hull markets fell out. packed and ready to go anywhere in the usa. everyone just buys factory cheap ammo these days.
pm me if anyone wants to buy them.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If they have a base wad. I toss them. in the older shot shell that have a base wad. the wad can get loose from moister, an be sucked down a ways into the barrel. and when you shoot the next shot it will ring the barrel... yes I know that is from old shells that I don't know if they are made anymore . but you never know what someone might sell you.. paper hull are bad for that.

Last edited by Hubert; 05/24/20.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I allways heard that but never had problems with Federal paper or plastic hulls with the rolled paper base wad. REIFENHAUSER style hulls been around since Christ was born. Say what you want but damn they cut down and roll crimp well,as well as being easier to use with nitro cards and Feltan bluestreak composite wads. Sanded walnut, fresh broken port oxford cedar,federal papers fresh fired with Green Dot powder are some of the finest smells still left in this world and those fed hulls are great in my LCSmith 16 dbl and 1902 vintage m97 12 ga. Old hulls yeah I'm a fan. MB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
204 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 857 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.