Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hello all:

I just bought a really nice Remington Model 11 Sportsman in 16 gauge, modified choke with 28 inch barrel. My first Model 11 and first 16 gauge. Anyone have any opinions on the Model 11?

Thank you

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I used one for a season, as a field gun, here in KS hunting over pointers.
It was 16ga with 28" poly-choked smooth barrel, believe all my shells were 2&3/4" with 1oz shot.

When I shouldered A5/M11's previously, either at store, or handling friend's guns, I always seemed to be staring at that hump.

But when I got in the field, walked up behind my dogs, and flushed birds...it really worked well.
First bird hunter error is shooting behind birds, second is not putting your head on the stock.
That stock/receiver seemed to be a benefit in the field, slightly more heads up mounting. I shot it very very well as a field gun.
Never shot it on skeet field or any clay targets for that matter. Does have sufficient mass to maintain good follow through.
Did not have any functional issues, shooting standard velocity 2&3/4" 1oz shells.

All of my shotguns are either fixed breech or pump action, so that M11 sounded like quite the "contraption" when it fired and all that finely fit US steel started shucking & jiving.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Friend of mine shot his dad's model 11, 12 gauge full choke, when I was a kid. I had a modified choke Coast to Coast 880, 12 gauge. Using the same shells, 1978 era Federal High Power or similar, his shot like a rifle it seemed, very tight patterns. He was a good shot, and waited out the sharptails till they were 35 yards out or so, and usually got em. I often shot birds he was waiting out, had to learn to let him have his chance. That old Remington never malfunctioned with those high brass 1 1/4 oz loads, don't know what it would have done with lighter loads. It was a solid and reliable shotgun...and perfect for late season birds that flushed way out there in big groups. His average was way higher than mine after the birds quite flushing close.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I used my late FIL’s Sportsman 12 gauge full choke for dove shoots. It would really reach out and get them.
The first time I shot it, it kicked very hard. I carried it to a local smith who replaced the barrel recoil spring and the bolt recoil spring. It was noontime very bright sunlight versus full cloudy, new moon midnight. He left It to his only grandson so I’ve done without.
After looking for one in 20 gauge, I finally found a Sportsman. After shooting it, I quickly ordered the same two springs.
As of yet I have not shot it. Bad back, bad weather and covid-19. Where I’m at in MS we’re still in lock down and yes I have damaged lungs so I’m staying put for now.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have never owned one but I have shot more than a few. The closest to a Model 11 I have come is the "American" Browning's made by Remington for Browning during WWII and shortly afterwards. These were not true M-11s nor true A-5s but a kind of mix of the two. Replacing some parts could be an adventure at times.

As expected of a John Browning design, they are quite dependable and reliable. Properly set up they can be fairly soft shooting too. Like many shotguns of the era, the drop at the comb is greater than the norm today but it was an effective design for the style of the time.

As an aside, the M-11 came about to circumvent the high tariffs put on foreign products in the early 1900's. The A-5 had just come out and the newly placed tariffs put the price well above what the average man could afford. The M-11 was redesigned to be more economical and production was granted to Remington for sale in the U.S.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
built like tanks. prone to cracked forearms due to a recoil system. I have 3. 12/16/20.
all skeet with rare pistol grip caps and vr's. if anyones interested lmk...im thinning them out.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a while I owned an American Browning 16 Ga., basically a Remington Sportsman with the Browning magazine cut-off switch added, made by Remington for Browning early in the WW-II era. That shotgun was every bit as reliable as any Browning Auto-5 I've ever owned. I only sold it because I had a Belgian Browning 16 Ga as well.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Model 11 16 ga. love it for upland hunting. Some previous owner put Poychoke on it, there's worse things.

Used to have a 12 ga with a shortened barrel also, wish I had it back.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They most certainly excell at ugly....and a big wall in frount of your sighting eye doesn't do it any favors....

Last edited by battue; 06/02/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have 2 both 12's a 30 & 32" both with solid ribs full choked. They are not refined like a Belgian A-5 but are good serviceable shotguns. Neither gun had been detail stripped and cleaned for a long time but still functioned fine I've since cleaned them the 32" gun was made in 1938 with the rings set for heavy loads it shot Kent tungsten Matrix 1 1/4 oz loads fine on pheasants
and ducks same with with the 30" gun. The stock had been cut back and padded on the 32 but with heavy clothes that worked ok in a layout blind for Canadas. Hunting with friends one time in late December I shot a limit with it using Kent tungsten matrix in the 1 3/8 oz loads OF # 1'S. They are choked tight for the old shells pre plastic wads, I don't have any problem making shells that work thru there chokes as is. When I bought the 32" it had 3 different colors of paint on it, all speckles where some woman had painted around it in the closet. Way cool. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
here are those 3 skeet guns..........note pistol grip caps.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
saw this over on gunauction.com in case anyone was interested. goes to an early model 11.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
3 or 5 shot. The 3 shot M11 may balance better than a Sweet 16....unless you happen to have that 3-shot unicorn. LOL

I’ve been shooting Auto 5s and M11s for close to 40 years now, so I’m biased. Other than the speed load feature, either is interchangeable for me. As I’m kinda addicted to that two piece lifter, the only M11 still in the house is an old, ordnance marked rem my, waiting on me to convert it.

I personally don’t believe there’s a more inherently reliable or durable semi auto shotgun design ever manufactured, period. I’d wager I’ve tried just about all of the types and twists, and other than some being lighter, I found none were ‘better’ to my thinking. Certainly none were more intrinsically reliable or durable. Of course, they could be one day. My 1913 gun had a head start on just about all of them, and still ran like new. FIL has a set of them in 12/16/20, I lust for.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 48 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.