Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I need to buy some trail cams.

Never owned any. Seems like there are multiple specifications.

What are the important specifications and features?

Probably need about 4 of them so what to optimize "bang for my buck".

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have had great luck with Browning Strike Force.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Browning is what I would buy again

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Two votes for Browning but why? What is it you like about them?

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had numerous models by diff manufacturers... I've settled on Moultries and Brownings... they just work.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have had many different models as well from the Walmart cheapies to $400+. I run multiple cameras and basically settled on the $150.00 +/- price range. I get 3, maybe 4 hunting seasons if lucky out of them. After each season, remove the batteries, wipe down, and store inside. Spypoint and Browning are good and Cuddeback very good but more expensive. I have had mixed results with Moultrie, Bushnell, and similar.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by lone wolf
I have had great luck with Browning Strike Force.

Browning all the way. They have a fast trigger and they take great pictures! They also have the capability to run 12v solar packs with them. I have more expensive ones I use at feeder sites that have wireless capabilities.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
I need to buy some trail cams.

Never owned any. Seems like there are multiple specifications.

What are the important specifications and features?

Never owned any? How are you planning on using cameras? Trails, feeders, what?? If you are using on trails you need a camera with a fast trigger and picture recovery time. If you are using on feeders then that stuff is not as important.

Cameras come with either "red flash or black flash". Animals can see, (just barely) the faint glow of the red flash camera as it triggers at night. Black flash is covert, animals cannot see it for the most part!

Go to Trailcampro.com They do testing on many different cameras. You can read and see the test results!

Here's a really good deal! I have 2 of these! Great pics, battery life is good! Outstanding camera for the money. If I needed any more I would buy a couple more of these!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020771780?pid=770050

Last edited by Highoctane; 05/25/20.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Look on eBay!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What do you want a trail cam to do for you? Just let you know what's out there? Just about any of them do that. Do you need HD type quality? If so you have to spend some money. I bought an expensive Moultrie cellular last year that is so sensitive that it takes pics of shadows moving in the wind. Hundreds upon hundreds. It's all but worthless. I have some cheap Simmons that are ideal for me. If they get stolen, it's not a huge loss. One step up from that are a few Stealth Cams I bought at Midway.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
No need for anything spectacular. Just want low light capability that doesn't scare game. Motion sensor. No need for wireless. Just want to be able to pick up deer, elk tell the difference between male and female.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Reconyx make the best but you pay for them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My highest priority would be that the flash is not visible to the human eye.

Any recommendations?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have 4 stealthcam pxp36ng trail cams. 22 MP,they take pretty decent pics,infrared so they don't spook game. I think midway usa has them on sale for about $80 now. Most likleywill buy at least 2 more of them pretty quick

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
We have started to transition to Browning cameras as our older cameras die off. The Brownings take good photos are are reliable. Don't need the top of the line versions, IMO. Just the basic ones work fine

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by johnw
My highest priority would be that the flash is not visible to the human eye.

Any recommendations?

Any that have "No Glow" led flash. I'm looking for some cheapies too.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've had good success with my lowish-end Moultrie. It has an invisible flash, and takes 6 x C batteries. I wanted a camera that wouldn't cause me any concern about theft or fire loss. Left it out for 14 months one time and the card filled up but batteries still had charge left (800-ish black bear pics. Yes, in AZ). All my needs and expectations were exceeded. Also, a steel security box is needed where I scout, because bears will nose and nibble at the camera and knock it out of alignment. Every stinkin' time. So I tote one in the woods, along with a ratchet (limb saw, etc) and Pex screws for securement. Cost was less than $150 I think.

It's in the woods right now.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've ran a lot of camera's for quite a few years. Top two picks for me are Browning and Covert, specifically the MP16 Black. A great camera you can get for under $100.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre

No easy answer. "It depends." It depends on how good of a camera you need considering image quality, shutter speed, flash distance, battery life, long term durability / service life, initial cost, and replacement cost iff theft is a concern. Likely everyone you talk to is going to push their favorite without understanding their own needs, never mind yours.

For me the requirements were maximum range for detection and flash, best picture quality, best battery life, then then balance of trigger speed and recovery speed vs cost. The cream of the crop is Reconyx but they were running around $650 when I was shopping. I "settled" on Covert Extreme Black 60s at 40% the cost, equal performance otherwise, but a 1.4 second trigger / shutter / recovery speed instead of 0.2 seconds. It was an ok tradeoff for me. I wound up with a dozen Coverts at one time, bought a couple here, couple there as money was available, for from $195 to $215 each including a 32G SD card which did not come with the camera.

I have 7 left. 1 was lost to theft. 3 had shutter failures ... stuck in the shut position. 1 had a sensor failure. Both of the first 2, purchased in spring 2014, are still working. The newest is about 4 years old. I expect the rest to drop off in the next couple years. I don't have what I consider a good replacement candidate picked out.

For people who are setting them up where theft or vandalism is more likely, lower cost is better. Likewise, if you're visiting your cameras more often than me (I get back to them 1-2 times per year max) then having a failure isn't as big a deal, not as much info lost. If you are not carrying them in as far to set them up, then lugging in a replacement isn't as big a deal. Ifyou are not leaving them out over winter under snow at sub zero temperatures as I did, then durability may not be as big a factor.

You have to figure out what works for your situation, what factors to consider, what weight to give each. Best advice I can offer is to check a site like trailcampro.com for reviews, both comparisons of technical features, and the reviewers impressions.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We've had pretty good luck with Covert black flash cameras in 2 or 3 models.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
740 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 76 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.