Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I’ve 2 half Anatolian half sarplaninac. They are not for everyone and not house dogs. But they aren’t pitbulls either. They are still bred for a purpose. ...

What is that purpose and do you use them for it?

He's never met a dog he doesn't like.

Untrue. There have been a few over the years. But admittedly not many.

MAGA
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by billhilly
Despite the vile claims of dog breedists, science has shown that there is only one breed of dog: the dog breed.
The fact that pit bulls are only 6.5% of the dog population and yet responsible for 74% of fatal dog attacks has nothing to do with breed.
This is the result of poor dog training.
If we want to stop pit bull attacks, we need to cut the breedist language and focus on giving more money to programs that train pit bulls not to kill so many human children.
After all, there are mixed breeds of dogs, meaning that there is no such thing as breeds of dogs. There is no pure dog breed.
You can help the pit bull struggle for liberation from breedism by becoming a pit bull ally, and standing up to people who claim that pit bull attacks are related to their breed. Arm yourself with the scientific facts that dog breeds are a social construct and all dogs are exactly the same. Then if you’re in public or among friends and family and you find someone saying that pit bulls are dangerous, shut them down.
As long as pit bulls are being oppressed and disenfranchised because of unscientific theories about the existence of “breeds” of dogs, no dog will ever be free.

Anyone with any worthwhile knowledge can smell the BS from this.

If there is only a generic dog breed,
explain the physiological differences that require
different medical treatments.

Try giving a dog like Lassie Ivermectin.
Then give it to a dozen other unrelated dogs.
Now, tell me they are all the same.

It's more like, "Why are pits so prone to sickle cell anemia?"

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
I can't for the life of me, understand the attraction in having a dog around that is nothing but a liability. We have two little house dogs that give us a lot of pleasure and companionship (and are both at my feet at the moment.) They are also whole-house alarm systems with incredible hearing that that will wake the dead at any suspicious bump in the night. I can take it from there. My "real" dog is a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. He weighs, usually 3 or 4 pounds under the top of the breed standard (which is 80 pounds for a properly built male.) He's a great dog on upland or waterfowl. He swims long and fast and he's done blind retrieves on birds everyone thought were lost for sure. He's earned a pass in every sanctioned hunt test he's been in. He will not fight another dog. Why would I want him to? It can lead to permanently being banned from UKC events. I don't feel like I have any particular shortcomings that can be compensated for by having a dog that weighs 30% over the breed standard or that will rip the schitt out of any other dog in the neighborhood.

There are an alarming number of pit bulls and similar dogs around, many, if not most, in the hands of people with no fugging clue how to train or handle a dog. When my wife and I are out walking with the two little dogs, we have a procedure in the event of an uncontrolled, agressive dog coming after us. She takes both little dogs by their harnesses and gets behind me, keeping me between her and the threat. Don't touch me, just keep me between her and the threat. I'll take care of the rest.

I've actually known people into dog fighting. (The operative term being "known." They weren't my friends, I just knew them.) Their family had a history of felony criminal behavior, alcoholism, drug abuse, child sexual abuse and suicide. A limited sample, yeah, but that's what I associate with people enthralled by vicious, out of control dogs.

If JRT's were dragging a 14" limp d!ck behind them the trailer trash posse would keep those too...it's all about projecting an image.

Dave

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I’ve 2 half Anatolian half sarplaninac. They are not for everyone and not house dogs. But they aren’t pitbulls either. They are still bred for a purpose. ...

What is that purpose and do you use them for it?

They keep toothy critters on the other side of the fence. I've chickens, and horses and house dogs. Any or all of which can/do bring in bear of both flavors, wolves, etc. These guys keep them away. Mine run loose on 10 acres. They are bred for livestock protection, not to look pretty, or sit pretty for the queer at the dog show. Kissing cousins to Ovcharkas etc. There is some variation among the breeds, some (like Kangals) having a reputation for getting people aggressive. Mine are not, though it did get sideways with my male once, my fault for not understanding the breed. I don't care how badass and young dumb and full of puzzyjuice a guy is, the prospect of going toe to toe unarmed with one of these guys if they get nasty is not an idea to be entertained lightly. They are different and respond different to stimuli than your regular pet dog. Not an eggspurt or pretend to be. But I have done a ton of research after getting mine. And no, I am in no way saying I have badazz dogs. I have furry retards that I am rather fond of that have a job and do it well, and love damn near every stranger that they meet.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Neighbors have 6, they keep a pair in each pasture with sheep and cows. They have zero tolerance for anything including people approaching a flock or herd outside the fence even when they know you, but inside the fence they are docile lugs, until someone out side the fence approaches and it's back to business.

Dave

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RDW

Neighbors have 6, they keep a pair in each pasture with sheep and cows. They have zero tolerance for anything including people approaching a flock or herd outside the fence even when they know you, but inside the fence they are docile lugs, until someone out side the fence approaches and it's back to business.

I'll never not have a pair. Neat dogs. If I'm home they don't give a flying fugg about any 2 leggeds. I guess they figure it's my purview. Wife has said when I'm not here they act a bit different, but not enough that I have concerns. The innate intelligence they possess is amazing. They don't look at you with a blank stare waiting for you to throw the ball for them lol.

MAGA
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am another with zero use for any pitbull. I knew the stats, but never understood the kill switch mentality, until we got a JRT. He was the absolute scariest dog I have ever known. He would go from zero to full blown killing machine in two microseconds. All it took was sight of a furry creature moving. The yard cats all survived because they learned all they had to do was roll over on their back, then the dog would ignore them. But the stray cat that ran, had better be fast. As long as a cat was running, he was fair game.

The dog was death on squirrels, rock chucks, and pocket gophers. His favorite thing was fighting raccoons trying to raid the cat food dispenser. Once in attack mode, he was totally oblivious to anything in the world. He got in with a dozen turkey poults (about three pounds) in the yard one day, and set about killing the entire flock. My wife heard the commotion and got to him just as he was finishing the second bird and headed for a third. She was screaming and beating the dog about the head with her fists, But, at that point, he was oblivious to anything but his need to kill. He did not bite or attack her, he was just oblivious to her presence.

I was the only human he ever acted aggressively toward. As a half grown pup, he growled at me for pushing him off my place on the couch. I immediately grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and spanked his butt with my hand. Then he snarled and snapped at me. I grabbed him by the throat and threw him onto his back with all four feet in the air, and kind of half choked him for a minute or two. That was the only time he ever acted aggressive toward a human. But we remained wary.

The dog was a wonderful pet. He loved both of us and the grandkids. He would wear himself absolutely ragged wrestling and playing with the grandkids. But we never let the kids play with him outside our immediate reach. If I had not known I could drop kick him over the fence at the slightest indication of need, he would have been dead and buried as a pup. He was a terrier, and he did what terriers have been bred to do for centuries.

Last I heard, they are still known as pit bull terriers. There are very few of us who could kick an adult pit bull over a yard fence. If I was king, pit bulls would rapidly become extinct.

Yes, malinois, german shepards, collies, rotties, boxers, dobermans, etc can all turn aggressive occasionally. And abuse can turn any dog aggressive. But these are all herding breeds, bred and selected for protective instincts for hundreds of years.

There is a basic difference in brain function between a herding dog and a terrier, born and bred to attack and kill. The herding dog does not, as a rule, become oblivious to his handler during a fight. He will fight to the death to protect his charges, but will break off the attack/pursuit on command.

There is not that instinctive drive to kill. I never heard of the need for a "breaking stick" when handling herding breeds.

Anyone ever see a K9 unit use a pit bull as a hold dog? Why not? Possibly a difference in brain function?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When I had 'em, I used to run my two heeler mutts alot through town next to my bike, otherwise at that time I'd take 'em for hour-long walks early in the morning before work...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

During that ten-year period I always carried a 9oz can of bear spray, put bulls and other loose dogs were always a constant worry and, here in the city, shooting even a vicious dog would get complicated.

Almost all charging dogs are actually bluffing and my dogs were usually the target rather than me. Anyways, I do recall using the spray eight times over a ten year period, after each time I replaced it though I had only used a fraction of it..

Only time it didn't work at the first blast was when a rott had already closed in on my loose dog and she was running ovals trying to get away and stay close to me at the same time. That rottweiler got a blast in the face every pass, finally stopped after the third pass and began rubbing her face in the grass.

IIRC the other seven dogs were; one big yellow mutt, one other rottweiler, three pits, a boxer and one for the life I me I cannot recall, but I do remember using the spray eight times.

In every case the inbound dog ignored all my yelling and posturing and came right at us, in every case other than that one rottweiler that sudden 20-30ft blast of spray appeared to instantly startle the dog from "fight" to "flight" mode, throwing a switch inside its head. Most times I actually missed with the spray, shooting low, aim about 2ft above a charging dog's back if ya wanna hit it.

$50 a pop, $400 over ten years, was still much cheaper in complications, legalisms time and money than shooting 'em. Easier too.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have a lot of love for a good heeler.

Probably the toughest dog in the world to train, like a Missouri mule. You gotta break a 2x4 over his head to get his attention.

My brother, long deceased, used to kick the crap out of his pup. The dog would turn around and look like "What did I do now? Oh yeah, that. Okay." and jump up and lick him in the face. My brother, in Jr High, took the dog to 4H and showed him in obedience class. He took a blue ribbon for the county. But they probably would have taken it away if they had seen his training technique.

He was a big dog, over forty five pounds. Huge by heeler standards. Pheasant hunting, pointing, cat killing, cow chasing fool. The meaner the cow, the better he liked it. Never saw him get kicked, he was too quick. He would dive four feet to the bottom of the water to make a retrieve. And would haul a twenty pound fence post back from fast flowing water.

After my brother died, his dog came to live out his life with me and my family. My kids as toddlers would "tail" him up the hills on hiking trips. Poor old guy was deaf as a stump from sitting under the muzzle of a shotgun or rifle for thousands of rounds with my brother. He could not respond to verbal cues. But he watched your hands like a hawk for any kind of signal and instantly responded.

He was just an incredibly tough animal with unlimited amounts of energy.

I have never owned another heeler. It just would not be fair to the dog, as I have not had the work for him to do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
What's the best cartridge/load combination for a pit bull?
After eliminating anywhere from 4 to 10 a year for over 30 years I recommend any good deer bullet from 62 grain up from .223 up and 2500 fps up applied behind the front leg.
Sounds like high shoulder shots work....Mr. Hasting, how did you find yourself airing out 4-10 Pits a year? SWAT Cop hitting drug houses would probably have that amount of contact with PB.😎
We have a few cattle on a little over a 100 acre pasture that abuts some black folks property on which there are many trailer houses and extended family. They own pits and pit hybrids such as chow cross, Alaskan Husky cross, and mixed in with Catahoula cur. All of which are catch dogs and they breed indiscriminately. Get the idea?

Yup....😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I have never owned another heeler. It just would not be fair to the dog, as I have not had the work for him to do.

Pretty much describes the heeler I have now. The two I had were actually heeler mutts, the best one a heeler/sheepdog type mutt, the second a cross between a heeler and a stumpy tailed cattle dog (a sort of longer-legged heeler). Good dogs but without the fanaticism of the one I have now.

Buying her was planned as my previous two were getting long in the tooth, and a big part of the reason for having dogs was as a burglary deterrent.

Little did I know at the time but as it turned out the missus up and left a couple of years later. It was sorta OK with two people in the house but just me weren't home enough.

Then outta boredom I suppose she became progressively more aggressive with the aging dogs, had to keep 'em separated. Same has turned out to be true with the two little stray mutts I took in. So, she has spent most of her life out in the backyard.

If I woulda known how things were gonna turn out back then I never would have got her.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
What's the best cartridge/load combination for a pit bull?

I know for a fact that a standard 5.56 AR will work.

Details requested...How many rounds did you let loose? What was your target area?...Head, heart, behind the shoulder or did you go with a Swiss Cheese look?

😬😎

Early one morning a few years back, when we were snowed in with almost a foot of snow, 2 Pits, from the white trash neighbors on the other side of the hill, chased one of my mom's (lives next door) dogs into her garage and were trying to kill him. She called me on the phone hollering & crying, and I took off out the door in pajama pants, Crocs, and my AR loaded with standard 55 grain FMJ. When I came around the corner of her car, they bowed up on me, so I just snapped off a round center mass on the closest. It didn't kill him immediately, but he wouldn't have lasted long. He staggered out in the yard wheezing & bubbling, and I finished him off with another round behind the shoulder. The other one was a schittin' and a gittin' around the corner, so I missed him. I've been patiently waiting ever since for a rematch with him, but that damned dog is smarter than he looks. He stays on the other side of the hill where I can't get a shot at him.

Surprised the second Pit ran instead of testing you....Definitely a smarter Pit Bull.

😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Despite the vile claims of dog breedists, science has shown that there is only one breed of dog: the dog breed.
The fact that pit bulls are only 6.5% of the dog population and yet responsible for 74% of fatal dog attacks has nothing to do with breed.
If we want to stop pit bull attacks, we need to cut the breedist language and focus on giving more money to programs that train pit bulls not to kill so many human children.
After all, there are mixed breeds of dogs, meaning that there is no such thing as breeds of dogs. There is no pure dog breed.
You can help the pit bull struggle for liberation from breedism by becoming a pit bull ally, and standing up to people who claim that pit bull attacks are related to their breed. Arm yourself with the scientific facts that dog breeds are a social construct and all dogs are exactly the same. Then if you’re in public or among friends and family and you find someone saying that pit bulls are dangerous, shut them down.
As long as pit bulls are being oppressed and disenfranchised because of unscientific theories about the existence of “breeds” of dogs, no dog will ever be free.

Are you full of shît or just a fûck’n retard?

Trying to catch up on this thread, apologies if this has already been posted.

😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Funny thing about heelers....................

Around here.........all the Dutch have a heeler dog. Some of the English have a heeler dog. A Dutchman's heeler dog will almost never bite you. An Englishman's heeler dog will almost always bite you.

Curious.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Smells like satire to me.

good....cuz it’s was rank stupidity, if it wasn’t..

😬😎

“Molon Labe”
L
Lawdwaz Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
I just got a call from a good friend, he and his dog were attacked by a pit bull today. He was taken by ambulance to a major trauma center here, bypassing two other hospitals. He said he's OK but feels like there is some serious damage to his one arm, at a minimum. He may have been in shock when he called.

His son has taken the dog to an emergency vet. The dog was in tough shape and was just spayed this past week.

He asked me to give him a ride home from the hospital when he's all bandaged up.........

Quick follow up.......I picked my buddy up at the hospital around midnight last night. His left hand was swollen and wrapped up due to deep puncture wounds. They are assuming the dog did not have rabies inoculations and are treating him and his dog accordingly. The dog had $700 worth of attention last night, I thought that was reasonable and expected worse. Stitches in multiple areas, xrays and shots I assume?

When I picked my buddy up I could tell he was still really shook by the entire thing. He's no outdoorsman at all, pretty clueless about a lot of things regarding such matters but still a great old friend. I think myself and most here would have figured out away to kill that [bleep] pitbull.......

Tomorrow he'll be in touch with his county health department, primary doctor and homeowners insurance company.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sorry to hear about this.

As for pits and other dogs here on the farm.
I live 7 miles from any town and the closest neighbor is a 1/2 mile.

To the south one side of the road has several pits and the west has a bunch of mixed dogs most large.

To the north about 1/8 mile new one has some large dogs and yesterday a pit.

The last few weeks has been pepper the dogs with some bird shot and hope they get the idea that they are not wanted at my house.

Yesterday i had the 3 dogs from the north show up at the barn and they growled at me and bared teeth.

The only shotgun handy was the savage model 34 20 gauge so the pit got a load in the butt and they all ran home.

Talked to the owner today and told him i did not care what type of dog he had as long as they were kept off my place.

I also told him this was the third time they had been here and the next time they would not be coming home.

I think he got the idea.

Today 4 more dogs showed up while i was walking to the house from the shop and they also got the 12 gauge warning.

Next time the bone yard will be filling up again.

It's been years since folks from town dropped off dogs out here thinking folks will look after them and i hope they don't start up again.

I have been chewed up by 2 dogs in my life that were not where they were supposed to be and have told myself that it would not happen again.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

That's one stupid quote. Sure training or lack of it will affect how a dog turns out but dogs are bred for a purpose. Ever wonder why bloodhounds are used to track or pointers are used to point? It's not just because those trainers are good at teaching a dog to track or point, it's because the dog was bred to do a job and the trainer hopefully didn't screw it up! I've seen a lot of dogs that could do what they were bred to do, regardless of training and pit bulls are no exception.

Smells like satire to me.
Noted..... wink

Also, if Rotts could take out Pits with regularity, you'd see the dog-fighting rings all using Rotts. They're using Pits due to their results, not due to their reputation.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happy to hear this....It does sound like both friend and his pup got off pretty easy, compared to how really bad this could have gone for both.

😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have furry retards that I am rather fond of that have a job and do it well, and love damn near every stranger that they meet.

If you want to talk about your testicles, start a new thread.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
When I had 'em, I used to run my two heeler mutts alot through town next to my bike, otherwise at that time I'd take 'em for hour-long walks early in the morning before work...

During that ten-year period I always carried a 9oz can of bear spray, put bulls and other loose dogs were always a constant worry and, here in the city, shooting even a vicious dog would get complicated.

Almost all charging dogs are actually bluffing and my dogs were usually the target rather than me. Anyways, I do recall using the spray eight times over a ten year period, after each time I replaced it though I had only used a fraction of it..

Only time it didn't work at the first blast was when a rott had already closed in on my loose dog and she was running ovals trying to get away and stay close to me at the same time. That rottweiler got a blast in the face every pass, finally stopped after the third pass and began rubbing her face in the grass.

IIRC the other seven dogs were; one big yellow mutt, one other rottweiler, three pits, a boxer and one for the life I me I cannot recall, but I do remember using the spray eight times.

In every case the inbound dog ignored all my yelling and posturing and came right at us, in every case other than that one rottweiler that sudden 20-30ft blast of spray appeared to instantly startle the dog from "fight" to "flight" mode, throwing a switch inside its head. Most times I actually missed with the spray, shooting low, aim about 2ft above a charging dog's back if ya wanna hit it.

$50 a pop, $400 over ten years, was still much cheaper in complications, legalisms time and money than shooting 'em. Easier too.

Anybody that rides around town with two Heelers off leash is a fugking moron.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 49 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,606
Posts18,454,857
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.