-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The winner of the camp gun competition is a Henry lever action. Just the standard version. Academy had them for $289. It will be the only open sight 22 I have. Something to leave at the camp and plink with while I am there. I bought a pile of rat shot and copper plated 27 grain short hollow points. The rat shot is for carpenter bees and sport shooting dragonflies out of the air. I am going to see if it'll shoot the shorts well. If it does, that'll be what I keep in it. If not I'll find a decent sub-sonic HP LR for it.

I like this gun. It is light and trim, but very well balanced. The action is smooth. Some Henry's have very nice wood. The lumber on this one is fairly plain jane. It does have one interesting character mark.

Would this be a good time to discuss lead removal?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Let us know how it works and shoots. Those are, I believe, the old Erma design from back when Hector was a pup.

Shorts are cool, but not the bargain they were when I was a pup like Hector. Mostly I use the various Quiet rounds in their place now. Still working on the five bricks I got real cheap when they first came out, about $2.35 a box IIRC.

What fresh Hell is this?
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Been considering one myself. From what I hear a 22 lever is about as much fun as one can have with their clothes on. If I could find one with good wood for that price it would move me off the fence. They are pretty slick little actions and you rarely hear many complaints from those that own them.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 05/25/20.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
The rat shot is for carpenter bees and sport shooting dragonflies out of the air.

You just gave me a thought for the carpenter bees around my cousins lean to. Bastards are everywhere.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Let us know how it works and shoots. Those are, I believe, the old Erma design from back when Hector was a pup.

Shorts are cool, but not the bargain they were when I was a pup like Hector. Mostly I use the various Quiet rounds in their place now. Still working on the five bricks I got real cheap when they first came out, about $2.35 a box IIRC.

These were 9.96 for a box of 100. I have never used the 27 grain hollow point. I an anxious to see what it does.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348

These were 9.96 for a box of 100. I have never used the 27 grain hollow point. I an anxious to see what it does.

I've killed quite a few coons with the Short HPs. they seem to be really decisive on a trapped coon. Much better than CCI Quiets, anyway. Subsonics work well, too, but those Short HPs seem to have more "kill" than the slow stuff. Dunno why that would be, since it's sure counter-intuitive, but they kill well.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
The rat shot is for carpenter bees and sport shooting dragonflies out of the air.

You just gave me a thought for the carpenter bees around my cousins lean to. Bastards are everywhere.

If you don't have time to hunt them bees find some smaller paper bags stuff with plastic bags to shape like hornets nest . Tie them under the eves or porch and will repel carpenter bees. Has been working for me for over 3 years , same paper bags tied under porches.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It works.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It works.

What's the bag limit on them things.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It works.

What's the bag limit on them things.

Damn sure more than I can hit!!

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Getting to those backstraps has to be tough.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Them little Henry lever guns are pretty dang fun to shoot. My brother called me 2 years ago while at a yard sale and said the lady had 3 of them for a hundred dollars each and asked me if I wanted one, I told him at that price and still in the box why not. It's been a pretty fun gun to shoot.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Them little Henry lever guns are pretty dang fun to shoot. My brother called me 2 years ago while at a yard sale and said the lady had 3 of them for a hundred dollars each and asked me if I wanted one, I told him at that price and still in the box why not. It's been a pretty fun gun to shoot.

I am envious of that bargain.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Probably killed 20+ in the last week or so. I need to build a trap or 5, it would be a lot cheaper than rat shells.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My Henry I bought from Buds with serial number of 2020TrumpXXXX. No issues shooting a variety of long rifles through it. Haven’t shot off a bench yet. But it bangs the spinners at 30 yards just fine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My kill ratio is 50%. Sure is a fun hour when I need a break.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Glad to know I am not the only one making sport of carpenter bees. Are any of you going after dragonflies?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Don’t have them around the place Paul. Plenty down at the creek but I’m usually just interested in fishing there.

Brother and I used to target them with our Daisy’s 40+ years ago. Piles of BBs missed till one day he knocked one right out of the air. Hell of a thing I won’t forget.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.