Hop To
#14910470 05/25/20
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What's the "Stihl" of HVAC?

Lennox? Carrier?

My system is 22 years old now, still working but I think we are going to piece mill it out and upgrade to a more efficient system. Doing it on our terms instead of it dying and dealing with it in a hurry.

I have an American Standard now and in 22 years, I've had the repair guy out twice and I've fixed it myself twice, but that seems pretty reliable to me. Once was a high limit switch that tripped, the other was a fan that went out. Blew myself off a stool once igniting gas that had built up. That was fun.

Whatever I buy I want it right the first time.

Last edited by KFWA; 05/25/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
My Son was employed by Carrier for several years. He says they are good equipment.

Today, be sure to install a heat pump as your AC. The price difference is pretty inconsequential, unless your installer is raping you. The Son buys wholesale. At wholesale prices our heat pump paid for itself this first winter with lowered heating bills, on an all electric house.

This 1800 sq ft house w/ heat pump was about 30% less expensive to heat this winter than our previous 1200 sq ft home w/ electric furnace.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
My buddy owns a HVAC company and put in a Goodman at his own home. I'll be doing the same with ours before too long.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
My advise? Buy local, there should be several major brands that will work. Parts when you need them quickly.
Repairmen that will fix it without making you freeze until noon on the next Monday.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
have a 4 ton train and a 2 ton goodman.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have American Standard in mine, installed in 98. It is still doing fine. I have two 3 ton units. I put an evaporater coil in the bedroom unit last spring. I’m lucky, I can do that myself. I have gauges, vacuum pump, etc. I have a good bit of R-22, so it wasn’t a big deal. I’m gonna change both units out this winter. I’m gonna put Goodman equipment back in. All the AC boys use it around here.

I’d go with Goodman

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There is a tremendous mark up on the equipment, most AC companies put the wood to you!

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
One is as good as another when you are talking residential equipment. Pick your replacement by dealer and his service department and not on what manufactures equipment he uses. Ask for references plus make sure each quote is an apples for apples, i.e. same or very close SEER rating, heat capacity and cooling capacity, etc.

Since you mentioned lighting the furnace I will assume you have gas available. I would highly recommend, as others have said, in installing a heatpump system with a gas furnace. The gas will be your emergency heat if and when the heat pump fails for some reason or another. Also discuss with your installer at what outside ambient temperature is the heat pump system is not efficient any longer, lets say 20 degrees or so, and lock out the heat pump and heat with the gas.

I was an commercial HVAC engineer for 17 years and a commercial HVAC contractor for 25 years and when I replaced mine I selected 3 trusted residential outfits that I knew from reputation that they service what they installed professional and honestly and made my selection.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My youngest brother...53, as of yesterday...has been doing HVAC since he got out of the Army...swears by Trane...just installed one yesterday at the Vet Clinic, in Liberty Hill...flew him in from Arizona for some bass fishing on my tank and the A/C work...oh and the S&W revolver he has wanted for about 5 years...A retired USBP Agent can only own so many 7 shot 686's...he really wants my 8 shot 327 but he's got a few years to wait for that one.

Dedicated Master of the Western Influenced Martial Art known simply as "KLIK PAO" !!!
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ok I'm going to check into the heat pump

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Wood? you mean like $150 bucks for the exact same Honeywell thermostat I can buy at Home Depot for $30.

Or you go away for a week of vacation to find the kids have sent in a contractor to replace the entire HVAC system in your house as a surprise. And the contractor threw away or stole a two month old programmable thermostat and replaced it with the most basic unit available.

Hell he probably charged the next job $200 for my thermostat.

I was absolutely shocked when my son told me what he actually paid for the heat pump systems he installed in his old house, and also in my new house.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Raheem
Ruud

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 62 invisible), 3,027 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.