Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would suggest going out to cut down some trees. However, after thinking of how many tree cutting references you have made here, I guess you've already clear-cut all your property.

Have you tried slingshots, or better yet, slings. I used to be right sharp with a homemade sling.

We also made up a batcha bolos using heavy cord and rubber balls. Them gauchos knew a good thing when they saw it. Wasn't a dog in the area that didn't tuck tail and run at the sight of us....

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Want fun? Try Cowboy Action Shooting!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Maybe make up a cast net with heavy mono and go for pigs.....

Inspired by HOOK and the bolo................

Last edited by muffin; 05/25/20.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Steve, my options are somewhat limited at present. I don’t have any of the newer popular cartridges. Couple of .30s, small herd of .25s, 7mm, buffalo and elephant guns. Never had bad experiences with Rem/Win bulk in the past but note some other brands seem a bit better. Dunno my looneyism is inspired with the idea at the moment. OTOH, a race between their bullets and my cast versions might be interesting. 🤪

Muffin, I already got some buffalo guns and paper patched lead. Anyway, I found out awhile back that .22 cast is about as small as I want to fool with. Maybe a young dink lad would like it, whaddya think?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Could you be interested in DIY cannons?
[Linked Image from pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com]

Well, maybe like this instead.
[Linked Image from thefirearmblog.com]

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Go fishing!!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Okay here are my suggestions

How to lathe turn or cast bronze/copper mono's for .30 cal. rifles at home.

How to harden and or plate lead shot commonly available for improved performance.

Market a loading box for refilling the mag box on a Krag quickly. Ever seen the Scandinavian guys run a Krag?

Source a good supply of cheap TSS and figure out how we can apply this to CF rifle bullets.

And if you really get bored switch over to the shotgun forum and wax poetic about your grandfathers LC Smiths, need all the particulars...........I am a vintage shotgun fan!!!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by czech1022
Want fun? Try Cowboy Action Shooting!

I already done that.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by muffin
Maybe make up a cast net with heavy mono and go for pigs.....

Inspired by HOOK and the bolo................

Didn't really need a cast net, but have to admit it was awhile back. I'm not sure I could hang upside down from a tree limb for very long these days.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Cowboy, I like cannons but they are a bit outside my means. Anyway, back in the day it worked better if I let someone else shoot them and just radioed what adjustments were needed. My two favorites were the 8" SP and 155mm. I did have a brief single experience with the Jersey and the 16" guns but I'm not worthy.

I am..........disturbed.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Go fishing!!

I don't shoot fish very often.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bartman
Okay here are my suggestions

How to lathe turn or cast bronze/copper mono's for .30 cal. rifles at home.

How to harden and or plate lead shot commonly available for improved performance.

Market a loading box for refilling the mag box on a Krag quickly. Ever seen the Scandinavian guys run a Krag?

Source a good supply of cheap TSS and figure out how we can apply this to CF rifle bullets.

And if you really get bored switch over to the shotgun forum and wax poetic about your grandfathers LC Smiths, need all the particulars...........I am a vintage shotgun fan!!!

1. I don't own a lathe and am addicted to soft lead, not monos.

2. Don't see a need for that, thus I am uninspired.
3. Don't have a Krag, and never shot one. I'm weird like that.
4. WTF is TSS?
5. This covers most of what I consider to be vintage style shotguns. I likely won't wear these out, but am working with diligence trying to do so with some others. First two pics are a Charles Daly 16 made by JP Sauer and Sohn. Last is a Webley Scott 20 SxS. One of the things that Gramps proved about the LC Smith is they can survive years of use with little maintenance. I don't recall that he ever cleaned a gun in his life.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Any of you fellas had success with round balls in cartridge guns? If so, do tell.

The pics posted early on of the Zimmer and the target that followed. 50', offfhand, 2 shots/target. Fairly obvious to me it can work, but the questions that rise are what are the particulars? Case, powder, bore/groove/ball specs etc etc....

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/25/20.

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have used round balls in several handgun cartridges, such as the .32 ACP, though not much in rifles. They work fine when sized correctly and a little lube added.

I keep from being bored by trying a lot of stuff outside my previous experience, from 150-year-old cartridge rifles to the latest, cutting-edge stuff. My latest was an 1893 Marlin in .32-40, which I tried with everything from black powder and cast bullets to jacketed bullets with smokeless

But I also have more fun researching the history of rifles than punching lots of holes in paper.

Plus,both Eileen and I hunt a lot, because that's how we acquire the complete proteins in our diets. Am about to started handloading for a TC Contender in .357 Maximum, because that's what Eileen has decided to start hunting with in our local no-rifle area. Looks like a 180 Speer Hot-Cor can be started at 1800 fps--the same bullet, at the same velocity, she has used in her century-old German combination gun to crumple deer out to 150 yards.

I would be bored SL if my shooting life meant punching holes in paper.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I’m with you in that. I look at paper punching as a necessary step if placement is important however. Light ballistics pretty much mandate that unless a fella is OK with being a hog’s appetizer. Do you recall any of the specs with the .32?

I am..........disturbed.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have you ever tried loading some pinfire? I've always thought that would be an interesting challenge. One requiring a good deal of care too, I expect.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
No, I've only seen a couple of pinfire guns in my day and never laid eyes on any ammo. Challenge writ large I suspect.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Here's a different way to go. Buy some bulk Remington and Winchester bullets in different calibres and show the world how well they can shoot.

Always thought Remington Bronze Points were really cool, but think they've gone the way of the dodo.

Once Upon a Once, Rem and Win slugs could be had at excellent prices; still have some Hornet-types I scarfed up years ago. Then, for some reason the prices jumped into the ozone, for no particular reason I could see. Gave up even looking at them. Now I look for bargains wherever I can find them, which might explain the heavy "overstock" boxes under my bench.

I have not, so far anyway, purchased bullets in a caliber for which I don't have a gun.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you pull bullets and dump powder from the .32 short and replace with a single O buckshot over the primer rammed down flush with the case mouth, don't shoot your brother in the ass with it. And yes the statute has run on this.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
No, I've only seen a couple of pinfire guns in my day and never laid eyes on any ammo. Challenge writ large I suspect.

Somewhere I read that an ordinary percussion cap can be placed inside the case under the pin so that it will be whacked, hopefully setting off the main charge. Might be one of Bob Haley's tricks. Sounds fraught with peril to me, but then so does the whole pinfire concept. Reminds me of the poor schmucks in the Soviet Union reloading .22s with match-head paste as priming.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,439
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.