Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nature does what it does. We think we can circle around that and get rid of whatever issues we want. We generally fail.

Love fox. They are just cool critters. And I hate to kill just to kill and waste. No use of hide or meat etc... but sometimes we have to.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was driving an old county black top road about midnight and saw a Great Horned Owl sitting in the road. Just sitting in the road with his wings sorta spread out from his body. In the headlights the owl looked like he was hurt. I was watching him when he suddenly took flight. When the owl took off it revealed a mallard duck! There are a couple small lakes about a half mile away and it was obvious the owl had snatched a duck off one of the lakes. I figured he set down on the roadway to either kill it or re-grip the duck when I came along. I later began to research the big owls and discovered just how great a predator they are.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
a Great Horned Owl will kill a bald eagle if kept in the same enclosure.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
A grey fox has gotta be the prettiest chicken-killer ...

Grey's are beautiful foxes. Seem more cat like than canine.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
A grey fox has gotta be the prettiest chicken-killer ...

Grey's are beautiful foxes. Seem more cat like than canine.

they are mine uses a litter box.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heard my kids hollering and screaming a couple hours ago. Sure enough, daughter had let the chickens out to pet one, while one of my bird dogs was also out. He grabbed a hen and brought it to me happy as he could be. The hen wasn’t amused though...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My game cam showed a gray fox that was pestering the chickens and got one of the ducks a couple months back. He's moved on...
More common here than the coyotes which seem to come by towards fall.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
In the past, coons were the culprits here.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Craigster
In the past, coons were the culprits here.

Coons are little a-holes. If coons were people they would all be in jail.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Good detective work!
All chickens seem very vulnerable. .. lots of predators out there, wherever you are..
I try to kill every coyote, skunk or coon that I see on our acreage, especially around the coops. We put a lid on the chicken runs because of the hawks and owls, but that is not enough to prevent all losses.
Trail cams are a great help. We see an occasional mountain lion or fox, but mostly skunks, coons and coyotes. Although I love to see foxes, they are great hunters and the chickens are easy pickings. Putting a stout wire roof on our chickens' runs has been helpful and we do not allow them free range unless we are present. We, and our neighbors, like the eggs and try to keep all the layers safe, which is a true challenge.
Best of luck with your flock.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sweet pallet fence 😂👍

Must have ripped that idea off of some Tennyseean.

Almost chupacabre proof

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We’ve had a new pair of hawks hanging around the farm the last few days . I let a few .22 rounds go and they went to the end of the driveway and perched on another power pole.

Hopefully our four hens are still there when we get back from the lake.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

426 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 32 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.