Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 79S
Well I found some 55 Sierra’s, not 52 smk. I’m going to try ARcomp with them.. I never had much luck with cfe or tac.. I heard good and bad about benchmark. I need to find more Varget, Varget is hands down the most accurate powder I used. Followed by RL15, AR comp is phenomenal with 77tmk. I have also had good luck with H4895..

55 Sierra SP's? If so try about 25.5 gr of TAC (if you still have any). Might not work in your rifles but does in 2 of mine.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by 79S
Well I found some 55 Sierra’s, not 52 smk. I’m going to try ARcomp with them.. I never had much luck with cfe or tac.. I heard good and bad about benchmark. I need to find more Varget, Varget is hands down the most accurate powder I used. Followed by RL15, AR comp is phenomenal with 77tmk. I have also had good luck with H4895..

55 Sierra SP's? If so try about 25.5 gr of TAC (if you still have any). Might not work in your rifles but does in 2 of mine.

55gr hpbt.. I might just run with these 69’s they are priced to bad.. I better have it sorted out by next Saturday lol..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by 79S

55gr hpbt..

Of course <face palm>, how foolish of me.

Well good luck with it.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like 79s better get his schidt together by next weekend.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

My wife has me playing farmer bob finally got seed planted in the garden.. i will probably be using 73gr eld-m with 23.5gr h4895, rem 7 1/2 primers. Seated at can’t remember lol.. Just playing around with other bullets see what I could come up with.

This is a 100 yd reduces high power match, when you get bored give it a go. Standing slow fire you cannot use a sling.. rapid fire you use sling, 99% time we shoot in the sitting position. prone you use sling.. all the targets to use are listed as well..

2 sighting shots and 10 shots for record, standing, slow fire, 100 yards, SR-1 target. 10 minutes
2 sighting shots and 10 shots for record, sitting or kneeling, rapid fire, 100 yards, SR-1 target. 60 seconds, magazine change first mag has 2rds, second mag has 8 rds.
2 sighting shots and 10 shots for record, prone, rapid fire, SR-21 target. 70 seconds, magazine change first mag has 2rds, second mag has 8 rds.
2 sighting shots and 20 shots for record, prone, slow fire, MR-31 target. 20 minutes

Last edited by 79S; 05/25/20.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Oh I have a load ready to use.. already figured it out, week ago.. using 73gr eld-m with 23.5gr h4895, rem 7 1/2 primers. Seated at can’t remember lol.. Just playing around with other bullets see what I could come up with.

This is a 100 yd reduces high power match, when you get bored give it a go. Standing slow fire you cannot use a sling.. rapid fire you use sling, 99% time we shoot in the sitting position. prone you use sling.. all the targets to use are listed as well..

2 sighting shots and 10 shots for record, standing, slow fire, 100 yards, SR-1 target. 10 minutes
2 sighting shots and 10 shots for record, sitting or kneeling, rapid fire, 100 yards, SR-1 target. 60 seconds, magazine change first mag has 2rds, second mag has 8 rds.
2 sighting shots and 10 shots for record, prone, rapid fire, SR-21 target. 70 seconds, magazine change first mag has 2rds, second mag has 8 rds.
2 sighting shots and 20 shots for record, prone, slow fire, MR-31 target. 20 minutes

Sounds like fun buddy. I like shooting offhand, generally slinged up though. Are you running your 4.5x scope? That 73gr eld match is a great bullet. One of my favorites. I looked at my .224 bullet supply today and saw i have 200 73gr eldm pills. They fly straight for sure. I gave up on the 69gr SMK after first trying the 73gr hornady. Now ive made full circle, since ive been shooting my Noveske more. When i want to switch things up a bit, i do the carl ross positional shoot for practice. You shoot timed targets in offhand, sitting, off sticks and off a pack. More like hunting scenerios. When we have ar shoots at my club, we shoot more your style. Offhand, sitting and prone. What some guys dont realize is a lot of us that shoot off the bench and post results in the black rifle and moa all day long challenge here is that we dont just shoot off the bench. They make fun of us "x shooters", but for some reason dont get the importance of being able to strategically place the bullet where we want it to go each and every time. It should be that way, regardless of the quarry. Hit what you are aiming at. That is the important thing to think about.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Oh I have a load ready to use.. already figured it out, week ago.. using 73gr eld-m with 23.5gr h4895, rem 7 1/2 primers. Seated at can’t remember lol.. Just playing around with other bullets see what I could come up with.

Sounds like fun buddy. I like shooting offhand, generally slinged up though. Are you running your 4.5x scope?

I changed my reply, because I was going to the range today but spent all day out in the wife garden planting potatoes seed, and green beans. So I worked on a load last week with the 73gr eld-m. Weds will try to hit the range to verify the load. Yes will be using 1-4 swfa scope. So far I been pretty happy with it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Sounds like fun buddy. I like shooting offhand, generally slinged up though. Are you running your 4.5x scope?

I changed my reply, because I was going to the range today but spent all day out in the wife garden planting potatoes seed, and green beans. So I worked on a load last week with the 73gr eld-m. Weds will try to hit the range to verify the load. Yes will be using 1-4 swfa scope. So far I been pretty happy with it.

You know if that load doesn't work out, you can always use AR Comp. A load that shoots very accurately is 20.5gr, but is not a screamer. Almost guaranteed to shoot very well in your rifle...At 100 yards, it is very consistent. Sub moa in my rifles... and when I say sub moa, I'm talking 10 shot groups..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

You know if that load doesn't work out, you can always use AR Comp. A load that shoots very accurately is 20.5gr, but is not a screamer. Almost guaranteed to shoot very well in your rifle...At 100 yards, it is very consistent. Sub moa in my rifles... and when I say sub moa, I'm talking 10 shot groups..

I shot that load last week and shot great. Just want verify it, will do it again. For these shoots I don’t need anything fast lol..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

I shot that load last week and shot great. Just want verify it, will do it again. For these shoots I don’t need anything fast lol..

Yep, at 100 yards, accuracy trumps velocity..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
WOW, BS Kchunter gasbaging another thread!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
i will probably be using 73gr eld-m with 23.5gr h4895, rem 7 1/2 primers.

That's not exactly a mild load......................at least IME, but with other similar bullets, not the 73 ELD.

MM

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by 79S
i will probably be using 73gr eld-m with 23.5gr h4895, rem 7 1/2 primers.

That's not exactly a mild load......................at least IME, but with other similar bullets, not the 73 ELD.

MM

Anything less than 2700 is mild lol.. I’m going to chrono that load today or tomorrow.i hope it’s over 2650 I really want to try it out to 600yds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use H4895 in my bolt guns but not in an AR; IMO, the recoil impulse is too quick with sharp recoil; too many better choices for an AR.

I don't know what the bearing surface on the ELD bullet is, & I'm sure it's different than a 77 SMK, but with the SMK, 22.5 is about max, 23 is too much for sure & I'm not squeamish about pressure.

And my bolt gun loads with that combo is 21.8 gr.

YMMV, of course, & there's always powder lot variance...........& you're shooting an ELD bullet, so post up the pics of your brass after you shoot it.

MM

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use H4895 in my bolt guns but not in an AR; IMO, the recoil impulse is too quick with sharp recoil; too many better choices for an AR.

I don't know what the bearing surface on the ELD bullet is, & I'm sure it's different than a 77 SMK, but with the SMK, 22.5 is about max, 23 is too much for sure & I'm not squeamish about pressure.

And my bolt gun loads with that combo is 21.8 gr.

YMMV, of course, & there's always powder lot variance...........& you're shooting an ELD bullet, so post up the pics of your brass after you shoot it.

MM

23.3gr h4895 is max fo 223 service rifle data in hornady 10th edition. So 23.5 in a 223 Wylde chamber is fine. Hornady doesn’t have load data for the 73gr bullet and up for standard 223... Today I was getting 2676 FPS with my load of 23.5gr H4895. According Hodgdon their max load with H4895 and a 77 Sierra OTM is 22.6..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, at that velocity, pressure should be OK; thanks for the info.

MM

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MM

Unfortunately I tossed my brass i used i had it marked because primer pockets were loose. After this shoot on Saturday will snap pictures of the brass.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

MM

Unfortunately I tossed my brass i used i had it marked because primer pockets were loose. After this shoot on Saturday will snap pictures of the brass.

Hey J, what kind of accuracy are you getting with the load you plan on using Saturday?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

MM

Well, that's not a good sign unless they had several warm loadings on them? How many did they have?

Like I said, unless I just had lots of 4895 that I needed to use, it not high of my list of AR powders. I would never go buy that particular powder with the sole intent of loading AR's.

MM

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

MM

Well, that's not a good sign unless they had several warm loadings on them? How many did they have?

Like I said, unless I just had lots of 4895 that I needed to use, it not high of my list of AR powders. I would never go buy that particular powder with the sole intent of loading AR's.

MM

cool your jets, I used this brass 5-6 times with other loads AR-comp, RL15, Varget, leverevolution you get the idea.. hell I used some once fired Winchester brass the other day, that had loose primer pockets.. I like H4895, guys out there love tac, cfe 223 I think it’s absolutely horrible.. AR-comp with this 73gr bullet on the high side of charge doesn’t get near the accuracy as h4895.

Last edited by 79S; 05/27/20.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.