yes.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Because most people become overcome with fear, and those not scared to near death are enraged. Few can remain rational in such circumstances.

My closest experience was an enraged 300 lb sow pig which came over the fence while I was castrating her babies. She hit me in the chest and knocked me straight down onto my back. There I was with 300 lb of pig straddling me trying to eat my face and throat.

I very consciously shoved my left arm in her mouth to protect my face. I was wearing a heavy down coat, which got torn to shreds. But I only suffered a few minor scratches before one of the baby pigs came running past and momma pig decided she was more interested in chasing down the baby than in eating me.

This is what college was like for me too.

Looked better with alcohol?

Ah, don't know about that. I was still virgin when I got done with College. I was a sweet, shy, farm boy.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Anyone has experience or first hand knowledge if OC spray will stop a Pit before it latches on to another dog?

Wife carries spray just for this reason...I got her a Gunfighters Inc chest holster for her Glock 17 so she could defend herself and our mutt from an attack.

She’s a total chic insert (dumb) when she says it’s easier to grab OC spray and hit the trails than putting on her holster.

Done fighting with her about it...If I’m walking the dog alone or with the wife, I’m carrying a Glock 20 in the same holster - no spray.

😎

Beaver,

I have no first hand experience with OC and canines. But, several years ago I read an interesting research paper that was done on the effectiveness of pepper spray on canines, and from what I remember it was mostly effective. However, on a certain percentage of dogs, it caused even higher levels of aggression. If I recall correctly, the study claimed that pit bulls were more likely to go into a rage when sprayed than other breeds.

I'd imagine that research paper is still floating around, if you were inclined to search for it.

Jason

Figures a pit would absorb OC like shots of tequila and get more pissed.

I will look for the study...Thanks!

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's the backup plan if the pistol malfunctions
and one arm gets locked in its jaws in a struggle?

Some might fumble with their trendy folder..
or some might be more practical - better prepared....

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Starman
and one arm getd locked in its jaws in a struggle?

you'd probably die if you don't know what you'd do.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Plan Z:gonad tickles. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Plan Z:gonad tickles. wink

According to an old joke if the attack occurs in the park and the pit bull is accompanied by a Black person with a handgun, you use your gorilla and the shotgun.

Hope this helps.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by Nebraska

Also, if Rotts could take out Pits with regularity, you'd see the dog-fighting rings all using Rotts. They're using Pits due to their results, not due to their reputation.

Much in the same way that, if a 2020 Escalade could take out a 1990 Subaru wagon with regularity, you'd see more new Escalades in the demolition derby.

Totally ridiculous example......

Not so much.

You wanna think on it for a while ?? Or shall someone explain it to you ??

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 700LH
grad him by the bottom jaw.

yes.

If your the one not being attacked but breaking it up, grab both back legs on the pit and walk backwards, dogs dont have any control when controlled like this. Now what to do when you stop walking backwards

IC B3

L
Lawdwaz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by gemby58

yes.

If your the one not being attacked but breaking it up grab both back legs on the pit and walk backwards, dogs dont have any control when controlled like this. Now what to do when you stop walking backwards

Interesting........

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

yes.

If your the one not being attacked but breaking it up grab both back legs on the pit and walk backwards, dogs dont have any control when controlled like this. Now what to do when you stop walking backwards

Start swinging it against a wall or a big tree?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
We went to Williamson county animal shelter years ago to adopt a female German Shepard. We took our little Min Pin with to introduce them. Bad idea. That GS grabbed the little dog (lucky she had a thick collar on) by the back of the neck. I couldn’t spread that dogs jaws, if I recall I think I punched its nose. I thought about driving a tanto point into its lungs though.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

yes.

Walked a lot if hogs out of the woods that way when we use to sell them live.

Life is good live it while you can.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 5sdad

yes.

Start swinging it against a wall or a big tree?

That would work

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Anyone has experience or first hand knowledge if OC spray will stop a Pit before it latches on to another dog?

Wife carries spray just for this reason...I got her a Gunfighters Inc chest holster for her Glock 17 so she could defend herself and our mutt from an attack.

She’s a total chic insert (dumb) when she says it’s easier to grab OC spray and hit the trails than putting on her holster.

Done fighting with her about it...If I’m walking the dog alone or with the wife, I’m carrying a Glock 20 in the same holster - no spray.

😎

BeaverCleaver,

I have sprayed at least a dozen dogs and it is very effective. It blinds them, fugks up their olfactory something fierce, and if nothing else it will give you time to get away.

When I lived in South Texas (total schit hole) it was common for dogs to be off leash. Certain houses had certain dogs that would burst out of their yards when I ran. After this happening once or twice I formulated a genius plan. I would run with the OC in my hand and cruise by certain houses. Like clock work they would bust out and that's when I'd turn on the jets. This ups their drive so they really get up tight to your heels. There's a bit of timing involved but once they're close enough you just cut loose with that schit. Keep in mind they're huffing and sucking through their mouth at this point.

They fugking HOWL. I've even had chihuaha's barrel roll forward as they yip and whine. If you ran by that house again, rest assured the dogs don't come after you again. I always liked to think they went back into their owner's homes and rubbed that schit all over the house as well. I literally cured an entire side of the town I lived in of dogs chasing people.

Another time (different state) I had a neighbor that bought two dogs. One was a Mastiff and the other a Rott. These fugking things would come to the fence every time I went outside and bark and drool and try to get over the chain link fence. The owners were good people but they just couldn't manage these fuggin' dogs. So one day I went and stood at the fence and here they come, going fugkin' crazy. I tried to let them sniff my hand so they would calm down and end this fugkin' charade but they wouldn't have it. Just kept chomping and snipping and barking. So I took the can of bear spray I had in my back pocket and hosed the every living schit out of those slobbering fugks.

They never came within 5' of that little chain link fence ever again. If I looked them in the eye they would both bow their heads and look away. Believe me, it fugks them up.

If your wife is running with it she should keep it in her hand. She won't have time to fumble around and get it out of a holster.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by lapua6547

Futhermore,

If you or deflave would like to debate this or anything else further. I would like dicsuss via phone or FTF.

LOL

Discuss what?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Had one of my hounds attacked by a pit bull 2 weeks ago, dog went through the screen door while walking my dog with one thing in his mind, my dog. He came out and bit onto my dogs back hams and wouldnt let go untill I drop kicked the SOB in the throat, then he staggered off turned around and I fogged him down with a 10 second burst of bear mace, that ended it, next would have been the sig 220, anti pitbull suppressor. Owner ended up paying the $241 vet bill for my dog. Biggest problem now is that dog attack once and more likely again, might be a kid next time

gemby,

I might be misremembering but weren't you the guy that ran a problem dog down on the side of the road?

I remember somebody telling that story on here and it was fuggin' hilarious.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Had one of my hounds attacked by a pit bull 2 weeks ago, dog went through the screen door while walking my dog with one thing in his mind, my dog. He came out and bit onto my dogs back hams and wouldnt let go untill I drop kicked the SOB in the throat, then he staggered off turned around and I fogged him down with a 10 second burst of bear mace, that ended it, next would have been the sig 220, anti pitbull suppressor. Owner ended up paying the $241 vet bill for my dog. Biggest problem now is that dog attack once and more likely again, might be a kid next time

Another pit discouraged with bear spray, with the three I did with it makes four. Only problem with mine is, since they never actually made contact, how intent they REALLY were remains unknown. They sure LOOKED serious tho. But in ten years walking/running my dogs through bad neighborhoods they never got bit, 'cept briefly by that one rot that snuck up from behind.

I will say this, I not infrequently ran into loose pit bulls, and even most of these were turned back with me shouting and posturing.

Bear spray ain't a substitute for deadly force, but I'm glad this tool was available tho.

That's the best thing about spray.

You never have to find out the dog or bear's intent.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by deflave

gemby,

I might be misremembering but weren't you the guy that ran a problem dog down on the side of the road?

I remember somebody telling that story on here and it was fuggin' hilarious.

Wasent me , would like to read that one

Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,814 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,523
Posts18,452,769
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.