Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Don't buy a phuggin Dodge! There's a valid reason why they are cheaper.
.........Oh yeah? No explanation?

There's nothing out there better than Ram trucks. IMO At one time it was rare to see a Dodge truck, now Ram trucks are everywhere.

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The ones we tried in the fleet at work sure were crappy, they bailed and sold both before the service life was up due to excessive repairs necessary. The two RAMs needed more work in a year than the 70 Fords.

Of course I know guys around town with them and nothing but good stuff to say. Maybe they were lemons, just odd for two in a row to suck

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Now thats funny chit.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My 15.5 mileage I stated is combined but mostly town and country roads. I haven't had it on the interstate much and last time I did there was a strong headwind.

My 2016 silverado had a 5.3 and 6 speed and averaged around 17 mpg same type of driving. I had the same 20" 8 ply ko2s on the chevy that I now have on the ram. My chevy got 24 mpg one time on a state highway 70 mph trip to bear lake. I've never seen anything like that on the ram. I think the old gm 5.3 is pretty efficient but the hemi has a bit more power.

Bb

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
We have both Dodge and Ford 1/2 tons in our fleet. My fleet manager reports the Dodges have more maintenance issues. So far, my 2020 Dodge has been pretty good. It has a couple quirks, but nothing major.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Question: how's the engine compression on downhills with the 8 speed? We have a Toyota Highlander with an 8-spd. It seems like it has no compression at all on downhills. I have to shift clear down to 4th to feel it at all. What does the Dodge do when you need to slow down on a hill?

What happens if you have the cruise control on, does it down shift then? Trying to maintain the set speed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't tried it on a steep enough hill to notice.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Having had an '11 1500 and currently a '19 Durango, I'd be more worried about the cylinder deactivation. I know on the '11s and a few years after, the roller portion of the lifters can go bad, especially on the ones that get deactivated. Look it up. There are several places on line with pics and video documenting it. You can count on $2500 for a junkyard and $4500+ for a remanufactured engine. The magic number seems to be between 85k to 120k miles. I keep my cylinder deactivation off on my Durango. Also the TIPM is crap on '11s through about '13 or '14. It is the fuse box under the hood that also has the relays in it. Several people have been stranded when their fuel pumps won't work because the relay is intermittent. This was also a problem on several other CJD products.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Comment on descending hills. With 6 or 8 speeds the ratios are close to keep a happy engine so pulling down to 4 in an 8 would be about the same as 2 or 3 on the old 4 speed autos.
My 06 sorento wants to go into passing gear pulling a hill, wifes trax does less so, but still shifts. If you feel the pedal position all the cars and trucks it will floor it for long grades to maintain speed. I learned that turning off the thing works better for mileage, even with a clutch truck. This is for hills in places like I80 in Wyoming; long grades with traffic light enough dropping from 80+ to 70 doesnt make you a road hog

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kennyd
Comment on descending hills. With 6 or 8 speeds the ratios are close to keep a happy engine so pulling down to 4 in an 8 would be about the same as 2 or 3 on the old 4 speed autos.
My 06 sorento wants to go into passing gear pulling a hill, wifes trax does less so, but still shifts. If you feel the pedal position all the cars and trucks it will floor it for long grades to maintain speed. I learned that turning off the thing works better for mileage, even with a clutch truck. This is for hills in places like I80 in Wyoming; long grades with traffic light enough dropping from 80+ to 70 doesnt make you a road hog

That's about what happens with our Highlander. At freeway speed, I need to go down to about 4 or 5 to notice any engine braking at all. On steep dirt roads, I've gone all the way down to 1 and still had to ride the brakes. I guess I'm spoiled by the compression brake on my Dodge diesel. Now THAT's a brake.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by coobie
Now thats funny chit.

After Chrysler's first bankruptcy.......

30% of a Chrysler vehicle was union shop content
70% of a GM vehicle was union shop.

Now suppliers might have been in different unions, but the lack of using so many union shops supposedly made Chrysler more competitive.

Great for the folks making the big items like engines, transmissions, and doing assembly.

Sucked for the smaller stuff like electronics, seats and whatever..........prev UAW plants that closed.

Slam the door on an American's dick so a window can be opened for a messican.

Back in the 90's...........I forget what % of Mitsubishi was with Chrysler.,
Think GM had 17% of Isuzu. Maybe a bit of Nissan too.
Ford was in bed w Mazda.

I know a GM plant used to make some electronics for Toyota, Fuel Vapor Sensors the first ones.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/26/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Sure. I’ve owned 2 Dodge trucks, and we’ve had several of them in our work fleet. Every single one of them were nothing but trouble. The new ones may be great, but my experiences with them have turned me off to the brand.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sure. I’ve owned 2 Dodge trucks, and we’ve had several of them in our work fleet. Every single one of them were nothing but trouble. The new ones may be great, but my experiences with them have turned me off to the brand.

Great details. We are all thankful to have someone like you to enlighten us.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine will downshift on its own with cruise ctrl engaged in order to maintain the set speed. 2018 Dodge 1500

Yours in Liberty,

BL
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

...........Maybe older Rams were in your work fleet?.....I will concede that the earlier Rams (pre 2008-09?) had issues. Beginning 2009-10 IIRC began the major improvements.

Saw a beautiful yellow w/black racin striped V10 Ram just the other day. They go back to around 2005. Too bad he turned left at the light. I was going straight. No traffic, no cops...LOL. Might have been interesting.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

...........Maybe older Rams were in your work fleet?.....I will concede that the earlier Rams (pre 2008-09?) had issues. Beginning 2009-10 IIRC began the major improvements.

Saw a beautiful yellow w/black racin striped V10 Ram just the other day. They go back to around 2005. Too bad he turned left at the light. I was going straight. No traffic, no cops...LOL. Might have been interesting.

That’s good to hear. They are nice looking trucks.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I could write a book on the subject.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Start the book with what year trucks are you talking about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I could write a book on internet blowhards.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I could write a book on internet blowhards.

Start by looking in the mirror, boss.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,304
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.