Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Is there an accepted method for changing the finish on scopes from glossy to matte (black)? I'm guessing Cerakote is out as is any other finish that requires heat for curing.

There is no shortage of new matte black scopes on the market, of course, but I'm interested in having an out-of-production glossy scope redone so it's matte. I don't want a rattle can job. Are there companies that offer this service? Thanks!

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A matter clear coat like krylon would do it but durability might be an issue. A refinish would not be difficult to do.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wasn’t there someone on here a week ago looking for a gloss scope? Maybe you can trade.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Plenty of guys looking for gloss scopes, as they are just about impossible to find. Sell it to someone who needs one and buy a matte scope. Unless it's a POS, then spray away

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
This may be better than the average rattle can paint.
I'm having good luck with a rifle barrel I did. And some gun stocks.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...rosol-paints/aluma-hyde-ii-prod1117.aspx

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Wasn’t there someone on here a week ago looking for a gloss scope? Maybe you can trade.

Originally Posted by 2five7
Plenty of guys looking for gloss scopes, as they are just about impossible to find. Sell it to someone who needs one and buy a matte scope. Unless it's a POS, then spray away

Thanks. I'm looking for a (discontinued) Burris Mini 4x in matte black which won't need anything but mounting and sighting in. But it might be that all I can find is a glossy one, which is why I asked. I've read that Burris' customer service is spotty, so doing it myself may be the best option.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Steven60
Originally Posted by Woodhits

Originally Posted by 2five7

Thanks. I'm looking for a (discontinued) Burris Mini 4x in matte black which won't need anything but mounting and sighting in. But it might be that all I can find is a glossy one, which is why I asked. I've read that Burris' customer service is spotty, so doing it myself may be the best option.

If it can be done, Brownells has done it. That Almumahyde is good stuff. Not your typical rattle can stuff. In fact, I have a silver Leupold scope on my 9.3X62 I want to make matte black. I had forgotten about Alumahyde but I think I'm going to order me a can. Also get their degreaser. Can't remember the name but I used it when I did a barrel with OXPHO Blue. It's something like C.T.E. I think.

Last edited by Filaman; 05/29/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I also think selling your scope and finding the one you want is the best idea. Between ebay, samplelist.com, gunbroker etc and a WTB here , there are plenty of places to find a turn key solution.

F
F
You could always go Dura-coat. That is the precursor to Cerakote. It is no heat and is pretty durable.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve got a few I’ve painted.Several coats of matte clear are your friend’s.Been just as durable as a factory finish...

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Why not take it to a paint shop and have them lightly sandblast the outside if the scope. That may look just fine like that. And if you need to paint it a matte, it’s already prepped.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ditto on the Aluma Hyde II

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No. A good way to BUBA up and ruin a scope. Trade/sell get your matte scope.

LC

S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Well, I found a pretty good deal on a Burris Mini 4x that is, predictably, gloss finished. I may just use it as is. Does anyone think Burris would refinish it in matte for me?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Steven60
Well, I found a pretty good deal on a Burris Mini 4x that is, predictably, gloss finished. I may just use it as is. Does anyone think Burris would refinish it in matte for me?

I don't know of any scope maker that will refinish a scope tube.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
No. A good way to BUBA up and ruin a scope. Trade/sell get your matte scope.

LC

Well maybe it’s just not in your skill-set...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The last 2 of mine that got drastically altered
got a thorough wipe down with acetone and
the lenses masked off and sprayed down with
OD krylon shake shake. It affected absolutely
nothing as far as performance, but cut the
glare to nothing just as I intended it to

JMHO - I could give 2 sh*ts less about resale
value of anything I own

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 56 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,187
Posts18,465,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.