Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
No, I've only seen a couple of pinfire guns in my day and never laid eyes on any ammo. Challenge writ large I suspect.

Somewhere I read that an ordinary percussion cap can be placed inside the case under the pin so that it will be whacked, hopefully setting off the main charge. Might be one of Bob Haley's tricks. Sounds fraught with peril to me, but then so does the whole pinfire concept. Reminds me of the poor schmucks in the Soviet Union reloading .22s with match-head paste as priming.

That is more or less the size of it. I've seen the odd few rounds of pinfire ammo in various calibres kicking around, years ago. I even had some, and might have the odd photo. It was made in various diameters for revolvers, from very small (I've seen 6mm, and heard of smaller) up to about 15mm. Shotgun shells too. I think the smaller calibres would be a mite fiddly to put the cap into, but a 12 mm or 15 mm would give a bit more room. The rounds for revolvers that I've seen had a very simple case - no more than a cup drawn into a cylindrical shape, with no rim or extractor groove, in thin copper or copper alloy. I don't entirely know how the primers were fixed in place, but I suspect it was with the use of some sort of gum or wax to hold it in position against the side of the case, with the pin protruding. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the pin was held in place by gum or wax too, both to hold it in position and to make the rounds weather resistant. All the rounds I've seen still had the pin, even well over a century after they were made.

I've always rather wondered about handling the stuff too. It does seem a bit hairy with the pin sticking out. You probably wouldn't want to drop it. It was popular for a time though, and there were some nice pieces made to fire it.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
If you pull bullets and dump powder from the .32 short and replace with a single O buckshot over the primer rammed down flush with the case mouth, don't shoot your brother in the ass with it. And yes the statute has run on this.

Liking the looks of that! Might have to adopt a brother though. laugh You recall if any powder was used in the charge or was it strictly primer powered?

Dan_Oz, the pinfire thing sounds interesting but I’m going to need to rise up and get my Looney PHD before I wander down that path.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Hey Digital, if you're bored beyond standing on your head on the bottom of the Mississippi River stacking greasy BBs, get you the rattiest old gun stock you can find, I mean UGLY with a capital U, and commenced to making saw dust. Sand that thing and apply your favorite oil repeating until it looks beautiful. I find this to be my therapy of choice when I've hit rock bottom of the boredom scale. Then again, I'm wierd. I'm what you might call a "Mega Looney."

Last edited by Filaman; 05/26/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Strictly primer powered. Grand dad would let us shoot rats around his hog pens with this load in his little S&W Hand Ejector. I guess he thought us kids and his hogs were safe enough - but in hindsight I am sure it would have killed any of us.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dan,

The .32 ACP load was a 00 buckshot with 3.0 grains of Unique. In a Beretta Tomcat it functioned very reliably, and got around 850 fps, with accuracy similar to jacketed bullet loads. (Of course, the Tomcat is not known as a target pistol....)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Just a thought there a quite a few POS rifles and shotguns out there which can be gotten for free due to their stellar condition (please note use of the sarcasm font).

There can be a good bit fun to be had in taking a firearms destined for the dump and dropping many hours and a few bucks into getting it into useable shape. I saw a thread on a Surplus Rifles forum (milsurps.com I think) years ago where a gentleman took a rusted up old falling block and got it back into shooting shape. Part of the process was for him to create a reverse electroplate system to pull all the rust off the rifle.

One of the 1860s Snider - Enfield conversions in .577 snider would be really interesting, or perhaps more exotic one of the "indian trade guns" made for the SN .577

Good luck in your search for the next project Dan.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks GRF, I'm getting some ideas here. I have restored a couple of guns to functioning condition though not from appearance. Always thought looks took a back seat to function.

Mule Deer, thanks for that. Never handled a Tomcat, but none of my pistols are target guns either. Somehow they still hit paper once in awhile. I would not have thought it would take 3 gr of powder to get to that velocity threshold, but there be a lot of things I don't know.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I tried it while doing an article on handloading the .32 ACP, which mostly involved jacketed bullets. Wanted a cheap practice round with about the same POI as the other handloads (and factory ammo), and that's what worked! In fact was kind of surprised by how well it worked!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mr Dan, Take your best rifle that uses Holy Black, balls or bullets and even smokeless as a chase and go to a rifle match at least 500 miles from your base. You need to win that match to rescue your soul! (keep going until you win)

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Last time I drove to a match I was on the road for 6 weeks. Drove out to Cody for a slug gun/picket rifle match. Even passed thru your neck of the woods on the way. Great trip it was, but I only garnered 3d in the slug gun match and 2d with the picket rifle. Those boys out west don't miss a trick....wind was blowing 15-20 full value....it's a bit of a learning experience plinkin' in wind like that with a 200 yd target. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I tried it while doing an article on handloading the .32 ACP, which mostly involved jacketed bullets. Wanted a cheap practice round with about the same POI as the other handloads (and factory ammo), and that's what worked! In fact was kind of surprised by how well it worked!

Wow....this stuff could turn into one of those genesis legends before you know it!

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Noted gun writer finds novel way to research for article. Down south a ways, local whacko tries it out by pasting a target on a wild hog while it was sleeping, waits for hog to wake up and shoots target! There will be a pig roast on 15 June, the public is invited (it was a big hog). Bring your own beer!

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Geez. Now I'm casting about for a buckshot mold. 00 for sure. Is there a buckshot size that correlates to .22? Thinking maybe trying my hand at making my own BB caps (see earlier reference to primed .22 brass in my possession). That or a BB-Hornet load. I bet Mr. Kilbourn would smile. Hovering carpenter bees at 20 paces best beware.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
just a thought DD make you a ss hand gun or rifle or muzzle loader

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Devil and details showed up, now I'm thinking about it. Pigs are squealin' in the swamps.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 44mc
just a thought DD make you a ss hand gun or rifle or muzzle loader

You posted while I pondered. I'm thinking a pistol barrel for the Contender might have a use. Much to consider here. The .32's might find another home.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Geez. Now I'm casting about for a buckshot mold. 00 for sure. Is there a buckshot size that correlates to .22? Thinking maybe trying my hand at making my own BB caps (see earlier reference to primed .22 brass in my possession). That or a BB-Hornet load. I bet Mr. Kilbourn would smile. Hovering carpenter bees at 20 paces best beware.

A bit less ambitious, and decidedly low-tech, but I've sent a bunch of stinkbugs on to the "next level" with a cutoff carbon arrow and airsoft pellets, pea-shooter style, while sitting on my front porch. One second they're there, and then.... gone!

Some of us just never grow up.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I have one and would be interested in feedback.

Having evolved to a notable state of Looneyism I have, as many of you know, undertaken a few projects slightly outside the box, and find myself in a curious circumstance. My shotguns shoot proper patterns with the shot of choice, and the rifles in my collection shoot quite well. Translated, that means they are boring me, not because of mediocrity, but because there is no place left to go with them. I have a few handguns and they will, on demand, shoot minute of jerk. So, what's next? I draw a blank. I load the scatterguns, rifles and pistols, cast bullets and even load a .45 caplock pistol with rice now and then for the purpose of eradicating pesky lizards. Yes, I use a wad and Lord Black. I shoot straight black and sometimes duplex loads in the Quigley rifles and they all shoot quite well.

Of late I have been considering the use of small capacity cases to shoot .30 cal round balls. Something like the .32 S&W or .32 Short Colt for example.

I'm bored and need suggestions. You have any pet projects, goals, innovations and such that bear consideration?

My condolences.

May you return to interesting times.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That is really good shooting. I have not read though all the suggestions so this may have already been suggested. You must have several friends who has a rifle or two that need some attention in order to become a great shooting rifle. You have the knowledge and each of those rifles would be a unique situation.

This would be a good way for you to entertain yourself and spread your knowledge.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Perspective on my community if you will? One of the oldest populations in Florida, quite conservative and they know everything. They also have more firearms than the USMC. Lot of possibilities no doubt but the biggest hurdle is giving them the Looney Virus-35. If it shoots they are satisfied for the most part

I am..........disturbed.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.