Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Saw the short hike around Devil's Tower mentioned a couple of times and it is worth the stop. I haven't seen it mentioned, so would add if you have time to slow down for a 4-5 hour hike in Custer Park I have done the hike to Harney Peak (now Black Elk Peak) several times and it is a great way to see the area. No technical climbing, just an enjoyable hike. Good trails and fun for the family.

https://harneypeakinfo.com/harney-peak-hiking/harney-peak-trail

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A few things, some of them unmentioned:
1 Jewel Cave NM and Wind Cave NP in the southern Black Hills are both remarkable. Just be sure the caves themselves are open to visitors. I don't think they are right at this moment.
2 I found Fort Phil Kearny SP in central Wyoming to be more fascinating than Little Bighorn NM. Real history, done well, without the NPS bullschit
3 I enjoy the drives across the Bighorns as much as any drive you've heard about in this thread.
4 I think the store and museum at King's Saddlery in Sheridan are not to be missed for any reason. A King Ropes hat would be about the single best souvenir of such a trip, that I can think of, anyway.
5 The burros on the wildlife loop in CSP will eat just about anything, but if you show up with a little bag of horse treats, they'll ignore everyone else's apples and carrots and sugar cereal and become your friends for life.
6 If you only stopped at Wall Drug for the donuts, it's worth it. The bookstore is fantastic also.
7 First Stop Guns in Rapid City is a great stop. The good stuff is often in the back or in the basement, ask if you can see it
8 I am partial to the pie at the Cowboy Cafe in Dubois. Pickle Barrel sandwiches are always good, but the best ones are in Livingston
9 Try to find Poet's Table
10 Bighorn sheep in Badlands NP. The new WR bighorn was taken there recently. Its not super easy to see wild sheep but it can be routinely done there. Same with mountain goats at MtRushmore/Needles/HarneyPeak

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BKinSD
A
I am partial to the pie at the Cowboy Cafe in Dubois.

We live 70 miles south of Dubois, we sometimes get up early and drive up there for breakfast.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If HWY 93 between GNP and Missoula is in your route, the National Bison Range is worth a stop. South shore of flathead lake there is wild horse island, set up a tour and check out a island of Bighorn sheep.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jnyork
A
I am partial to the pie at the Cowboy Cafe in Dubois.

We live 70 miles south of Dubois, we sometimes get up early and drive up there for breakfast.

Oh I would totally do that. I don't drive to Wall for donuts but I don't often just drive by either.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There have been a lot of good suggestions made but by far the best one was "avoid SLC". It is a nightmare for traffic, endless construction and at the wrong time of day gridlock, just driving through it will be enough to make what should be a great trip into a bad trip.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
BamaCKC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Really appreciate the info. Keep it coming!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How old are your kids?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
SLC is great, passing through at 0400 Sunday.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
BamaCKC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Kids are 9 and 12

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If you’re going to the Custer Battlefield, make sure to drive over to Pompeys Pillar NP. It’s just down the interstate. It’s named after Sacagawea’s infant son, and is the only NP named after a toddler. Lewis and Clark carved their names on it in the early 1880’s. Spend time in Jackson Hole and then drive north up into Teton NP. Yellowstone is worth a week all by itself. If you fish in Yellowstone, most of the rivers are Catch and Release only. To stay in YNP, you need reservations months in advance- stay outside the park in West Yellowstone. There are dozens of national chain motels there, but you’ve got to prepay via credit card .

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree with Pompey's Pillar being worth a stop if you're going by. I am not sure I'd go out of my way to see it but some might and it is pretty cool. In any event, I'm pretty sure it was inscribed in 1804 and not "the early 1880's"

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just to north of Pompey Piller about 3/4 mile is a very good prairie dog town.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Two years ago my wife and I hit a lot of the parks talked about here. When we were just about done my wife asked (how damn many mountains can there be ) . She had seen enough. She was glad to get back to the flats of South and North Dakota’s. Have fun. Ed k

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Lots of opinions, lots of choices!!! You are going to need 3-6 months to drive from Alabama to the West Coast in Oregon/California, north to Washington, and back across Montana, Wyoming, and the Dakotas on your way back home to do all of this area justice!!! Or you could just plan your next yearly 2-3 week vacation for the next 6 years or so while the kids are younger.

Have fun prioritizing what you want to do. You will definitely enjoy some beautiful scenery for sure! FWIW, I liked your original plans for Jackson Hole, Island Park/Ashton, Yellowstone, East or Northeast Entrance, Cody, Custer Battlefield, Devils Tower, Black Hills/Mount Rushmore and all the scenery in between. It will keep you plenty busy and wanting to come back and explore more another time!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If ya'll happen by Mitchell SD on the south side of I90 near Cabelas is El Columpio a Mexican restaurant. They have this spicy mango enchilada that is freaking awesome. All excellent. Hope they have weathered the 'demic and are still operating.

Something not mentioned about Wall Drug are the great ol pictures on the walls. It's just a tourist trap but can be fun for a break. You can ride a giant jackalope too. Yep. Awesome.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BulletBud
Lewis and Clark carved their names on it in the early 1880’s.

I'm pretty sure it was inscribed in 1804 and not "the early 1880's"

1806 and Lewis was never there, He took the Missouri River route back.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover
There have been a lot of good suggestions made but by far the best one was "avoid SLC". It is a nightmare for traffic, endless construction and at the wrong time of day gridlock, just driving through it will be enough to make what should be a great trip into a bad trip.

drover

I would rather someone beat me with a stick than make me drive from Ogden to Springville on I-15. Over 100 miles of urban
insanity.

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Amen to the above!!! I do the drive 6-7X/month and have so for the last 10 years for work. I just can't bring myself to live down there amongst the crowds of people. The drive just keeps getting worse and worse. Southern California "north" I like to call it. Some call it progress! Isn't going to get better.

I'm just glad I can still access Wyoming, Eastern Idaho, SW Montana, and the Yellowstone area a few times each summer and fall to maintain my health and sanity.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by CRS

You could do a week in the Black Hills area alone.

Hell, I've lived here since 1994 and still have things I haven't seen in and nearby the Hills. The 5 state area centering on the Black Hills (SD, ND, WY, MT, NE) is simply amazing. smile

-=[Bob]=-
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (163bc, 44mc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,695 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.