Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
But it's the 3rd Gen made after they went back to the two piece cylinder (removable bushing), which are sometimes informally referred to as 4th Gen, but Colt rejects that label, only accepting the three gen distinctions. It's a 2005. I think I paid the right price for it at a total out of pocket of $1,600, including transfer, background check, etc.. It's in very lightly used condition, and very well cared for. Looks basically mint. Mainly, it's been a safe queen till I got it, but no longer. I intend to shoot her a lot, though also take good care of her.

Buying one of these, the way I see it, is about like taking money out of one pocket and putting it into another, since you're not losing any money, and might even (theoretically, assuming you ever resell) make some down the road. And in the mean time, you get to enjoy owning and shooting it. Hard to beat that.

[Linked Image]

Here she is next to my Uberti, which is also a .45 Colt, but came from the factory with a fitted .45 ACP cylinder, too. The Uberti is a great shooter, not much if any inferior to the Colt in any way that I can discover, other than lacking the pony on the frame.

[Linked Image]

Here's the Colt at the range. I shot her today, soon as I picked her up from the FFL.

[Linked Image]

This was the first five shot group (two went into the same hole), fired at fifteen yards, standing, off hand, one handed, slow fire.

[Linked Image]

Couldn't be happier with that group.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice, been wanting one for a long time, good shooting too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great Colt SA there TRH and you shoot it well. I'd say you did fine at that price.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Gorgeous revolver. Would love to have one. Looks like it , and you, shoot very well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice, congrats 👍

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool gun! I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate you wink

Very nice TRH

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 700LH
I hate you wink

Very nice TRH

LOL. grin Thanks.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ronc

It's been a bucket list gun of mine for many years, too. Thanks.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Thanks to all.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Can you shoot full power (Ruger) loads in it?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Texczech

I don't think you can shoot monster loads in the New Vaquero. You can in the Old Vaquero (I have one in .44 Magnum, pictured below), and in the Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks. I wouldn't shoot any monster loads out of this Colt. It's not built for it.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Texczech

I don't think you can shoot monster loads in the New Vaquero. You can in the Old Vaquero (I have one in .44 Magnum, pictured below), and in the Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks. I wouldn't shoot any monster loads out of this Colt. It's not built for it.

[Linked Image]

I probably wouldn't shoot hot loads in it either just curious. Beautiful gun ,congrats. 👍

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just think how much better off you would be if that relic was chambered in 9MM Miraculose Farce.
If it were you would be set for anything from plinking to planetary invasion. It would replace a 16 inch battleship cannon.
I am sure you have remorseful remorse on your mishap.
May the Farce be with you.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
But it's the 3rd Gen made after they went back to the two piece cylinder (removable bushing), which are sometimes informally referred to as 4th Gen, but Colt rejects that label, only accepting the three gen distinctions. It's a 2005. I think I paid the right price for it at a total out of pocket of $1,600, including transfer, background check, etc.. It's in very lightly used condition, and very well cared for. Looks basically mint. Mainly, it's been a safe queen till I got it, but no longer. I intend to shoot her a lot, though also take good care of her.

Buying one of these, the way I see it, is about like taking money out of one pocket and putting it into another, since you're not losing any money, and might even (theoretically, assuming you ever resell) make some down the road. And in the mean time, you get to enjoy owning and shooting it. Hard to beat that.

[Linked Image]

Here she is next to my Uberti, which is also a .45 Colt, but came from the factory with a fitted .45 ACP cylinder, too. The Uberti is a great shooter, not much if any inferior to the Colt in any way that I can discover, other than lacking the pony on the frame.

[Linked Image]

Here's the Colt at the range. I shot her today, soon as I picked her up from the FFL.

[Linked Image]

This was the first five shot group (two went into the same hole), fired at fifteen yards, standing, off hand, one handed, slow fire.

[Linked Image]

Couldn't be happier with that group.

You're living the dream brother; congrats!!

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek

You're living the dream brother; congrats!!

laugh Thanks. Nothing like having the real thing.

I was actually in the market for a well worn First, or early Second, Gen, that was in mechanically good and shootable condition, but as I was discussing this on another forum, someone PMed me offering to sell me either of his Third Gen SAAs at a very reasonable price (He said he was getting up in years, and was drastically cutting down his firearms collection). He had one in 4.75" an one in 5.5" both in like new condition (basically safe queens), bought new by him at about the same time (2005). So, after taking some steps to protect myself in the deal from the potential for fraud, I went ahead and bought his 5.5" specimen.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wonder if you could get enough Bullseye in the case to get it up off its behind? Probably not. Kinda sad really. Plus its an old design to boot. Maybe you could trade it on an M&P 9MM with some boot.
Hope you can.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Doofus, I learned a while back just to skip over your posts, but I figured everyone deserves a chance at changing for the better, so read your last one above.

No change. Back to skipping.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Last month I walked into a small gunshop in Green Valley, AZ and was surprised to see that they had a brand new 2020 production Colt SAA .45 on the shelf. I wanted to buy it but needed to show some self-discipline. So I walked out and came back the next day to buy it. I have two other Colts, 2 Turnbull finished AWA's and a USFA, and this Colt is as nice as any of them.

They still know how to make them, but I understand they only put out a couple hundred or so each year.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 05/27/20.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ronc

It's been a bucket list gun of mine for many years, too. Thanks.

The 3rd gen guns (especially the later ones) are great revolvers and are very nicely put together. All the ones I've played with are accurate and shoot to point of aim. Plus, they're fun to shoot. You'll never lose money on a Colt SAA.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 05/28/20.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,633
Posts18,455,226
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.