Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The classic time to plant a garden here is memorial day because we usually get some frosts in May. Anyway I put in some green house grown tomatoes and peppers, plus some seeds. I had left over zucchini seeds from 2018, and I bet they all germinate. I also found some retro 2004 cantaloupe seeds, so we sowed those. I wonder if they will germinate?
A few years ago there was a story in the local paper. A old timer found some heirloom tomato seeds he has saved in a jar for something like 30 years. He gave them to the son of the guy that originally grew them. Anyway the son planted the seeds and had a big variety of heirloom tomatoes. So the son became the local heirloom tomato grower just like his dad, and the son is pretty big time at the local ag fair. So the hobby was passed on with 30 year old seeds.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seeds can stay viable a long time under the right conditions. Years ago I worked for a seed company. There was a large cellar under the building that they used for seed storage. One day the warehouse manager came in with a bag of about 20lb of carrot seed that he'd found in a back corner. The lot # showed that it was nearly 40 years old. The boss had me run a germ test on it and I got a 65% germination.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve had seeds ten years, they came up fine.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have bought and planted out of date wildflower seeds on my bank several times, and they didn't germinate either time. I guess they were older than the package said or were a scam from the company.

Last edited by reivertom; 05/27/20.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Grass seed, and soybean seeds lose gemmation fast. Corn, and weeds seem to last forever.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Keep them dry and bugs out of them and they will germinate forever. I put leftover seeds in a coffee can and store them in the chest freezer. They always come up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by reivertom
I have bought and planted out of date wildflower seeds on my bank several times, and they didn't germinate either time. I guess they were older than the package said or were a scam form the company.

Wildflowers can be very difficult to germinate. Many of the seeds need sunlight. In nature, they lay on the surface in damp soil while the sun gets them going.

― George Orwell

Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I tried to find the original tomato seed story but I found articles on germination at 50 years. Another store said 80 years.

http://www.tomatodirt.com/old-tomato-seeds.html

Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by reivertom
I have bought and planted out of date wildflower seeds on my bank several times, and they didn't germinate either time. I guess they were older than the package said or were a scam form the company.

Wildflowers can be very difficult to germinate. Many of the seeds need sunlight. In nature, they lay on the surface in damp soil while the sun gets them going.

I heard some seeds like that need frozen. We pick annual wild flower seeds and leave them in the shed all winter. We add that stock to a new bag or two of butteryfly/humming bird mix. We grow some big areas some years if I get an urge to till. This year I put in about a 1/4 acre. I plowed and seeded in april, and it looks like I have a good batch started. I don't know the germination rate on our recycled seeds because we mix them with fresh seeds. I should put some in a bowl and see the rate.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About 8 years ago, a 93 year old woman had me dig through her freezer for some seeds that her and mother used plant and save/plant and save, etc.

They were dried and dated 1979 in a Sanka coffee jar.

Speckled butterbeans.

They all did really well,

Kelvinator chest freezer by the way, old school with frost

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My partner, who has a PhD in horticulture, tried for years to germinate elderberry seeds. He tried every trick in the book and never got a single one up. Yet in the wild, they're thick. They're also impossible to transplant because of all the rocks. The roots wrap around them. He wanted them to try to draw birds away from his fruit trees.

― George Orwell

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Still planting Collard seed from 1976 from a quart mason jar from my grandfathers sister. She gave to me and said they had been in family for over 100 years at that time and to keep passing them on. My son of 30 is still growing and leaves a plant for seed ever year to keep going. Yes they only see daylight to be planted out of freezer....

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I found some old seeds in the shed when I was rearranging things. The radishes are up, the carrots are either taking their time or not planning on showing up.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bought a pack of sweet 100 cherry tomato seeds off of amazon about 6 weeks ago. I planted about a dozen in peat moss planter cups and put them on shelves in the south facing windows of my garage. So far only 1 has come up.

The celebrity seeds I bought at a local store have all came up and so has my pumpkin, squash, and onion starts. Sweet 100s, bell peppers, and cucumber starts no luck.

Bb

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Do Mary Jane seeds keep well?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Occasionally a story comes out about some seeds from ancient Egypt that are planted and grow. All of them so far have been debunked. A seed that's viable after 50 to 75 years is extremely rare. The only way to keep a seed longer than that is to freeze it in liquid N. While seeds are dormant, they're still living things and are using energy at a very slow rate. Sooner or later they run out.

― George Orwell

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The story of seeds from ancient Egypt is true as far as I know.

The seeds were a type of wheat . It looks like a cross between rye and wheat. It has been grown in north central Montana for many years.

Also there is a story about honey taken from a tomb that was still good.

Stranger than fiction. Maybe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honey story might be true. Kept dry, it is basically anhydrous sugar and does not deteriorate.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ipopum
The story of seeds from ancient Egypt is true as far as I know.

The seeds were a type of wheat . It looks like a cross between rye and wheat. It has been grown in north central Montana for many years.

Also there is a story about honey taken from a tomb that was still good.

Stranger than fiction. Maybe

It's called emmer wheat. The species is several thousand years old but what was thought to be actual seeds that old turned out to be false. It's still raised in a few locations in the middle east so none of the seeds are that old.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My partner, who has a PhD in horticulture, tried for years to germinate elderberry seeds. He tried every trick in the book and never got a single one up. Yet in the wild, they're thick. They're also impossible to transplant because of all the rocks. The roots wrap around them. He wanted them to try to draw birds away from his fruit trees.

some seeds need to pass through a bird's digestive system to germinate, when I did my chili Pequin seeds I soaked them in a vinegar solution. only about 10% germinated.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (69sportfury, 35, 2UP, 300jimmy, 17 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,134
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.