Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A family member was over in eastern ID over the weekend for a fishing trip. Fueled at the Maverick in St. Anthony, drove up to Last Chance in Island Park, and stopped for dinner. Went out and my 2008 F250 diesel wouldn't start. Towed it to a mechanic, and they found gasoline in the fuel tank. Motor is toast. Receipt clearly shows that diesel was sold. Confirmed with Maverick corporate.

Has anyone else heard reports of this out of eastern ID?

Is this something that an insurance company should cover? I have comprehensive coverage with State Farm.

I'm seriously thinking about paying that mechanic to put a re-manufactured 5.9 Cummins in it. Hopefully with Maverick paying for it.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is something that Maverick should cover and I'd raise a shidt storm if they didn't.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your insurance company should be able to assist you in getting Maverick to pay for this, contact them right away and file a claim anyway.

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just curious how much "diesel" you put in it? I'm kind of suprised you made it up to Last Chance (40 miles?)

I had a friend that "accidently" filled his Dad's work truck (gas) with diesel and as I remember, he did not get down the road very far before he started having problems. It did not ruin the engine as I remember in that case but his old man was not very happy with the inconvenience and cost!

I've fueled a few times at that Maverick but I usually trust my truck to the Chevron diesel in Ashton. Hearing this I see no need to change! Sorry for the mistake and problems. Keep us posted. There are so many Mavericks in the area now that is is sometimes hard to find the competition.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm an independent mechanical inspector for a company that investigates warranty and mechanical damage claims. They flew me from Tennessee to Spokane Washington to confirm a claim that a truck stop in Wyoming had mis-fueled a brand new Freightliner that was being ferried back to the dealership from a custom body builder that had just installed a beverage body on it. They put about 25 gallons of gasoline into a Diesel tank, and the truck made it less than 10 miles before the engine went toes-up. That was a $35,000.00 mistake and the truck stop bit the bullet for a new engine.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maverik runs their own trucks and drivers. They obviously screwed up. I wonder how many other drivers got caught on it. It could get really expensive.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I know people can make mistakes but it would be hard for me to not notice the gasoline smell while filling up my diesel truck.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by victoro
I know people can make mistakes but it would be hard for me to not notice the gasoline smell while filling up my diesel truck.

That was what I used to think, right up 'til I woke up at the 30 litre mark.

Apparently I am really good at profanity.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lundtroller
Just curious how much "diesel" you put in it? I'm kind of suprised you made it up to Last Chance (40 miles?)

I had a friend that "accidently" filled his Dad's work truck (gas) with diesel and as I remember, he did not get down the road very far before he started having problems. It did not ruin the engine as I remember in that case but his old man was not very happy with the inconvenience and cost!

I've fueled a few times at that Maverick but I usually trust my truck to the Chevron diesel in Ashton. Hearing this I see no need to change! Sorry for the mistake and problems. Keep us posted. There are so many Mavericks in the area now that is is sometimes hard to find the competition.
how do you get a horse dick diesel size nozzle into a gasoline filler neck?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
when i worked at oilstates we had a guy pour def into the fuel tank.......

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord

He didn't. He put a gas mini-nozzle in a large diesel hole.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by slumlord

He didn't. He put a gas mini-nozzle in a large diesel hole.

Nope.....from lundtroller..... ”friend that "accidently" filled his Dad's work truck (gas) with diesel”

Says in the quote, he put diesel in a (gas) truck

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oops. Didn't back up far enough in the string of quotes.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We cool πŸ˜ƒ

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack
A family member was over in eastern ID over the weekend for a fishing trip. Fueled at the Maverick in St. Anthony, drove up to Last Chance in Island Park, and stopped for dinner. Went out and my 2008 F250 diesel wouldn't start. Towed it to a mechanic, and they found gasoline in the fuel tank. Motor is toast. Receipt clearly shows that diesel was sold. Confirmed with Maverick corporate.

Is this something that an insurance company should cover? I have comprehensive coverage with State Farm.

I'm seriously thinking about paying that mechanic to put a re-manufactured 5.9 Cummins in it. Hopefully with Maverick paying for it.

Get a nasty good attorney and sue Maverick. They have the money and it was their fault. Do it fast before the 100s of others do the same.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We had an issue here in Teton County Idaho this winter. The distribution company put gas into the diesel tank at a station. A few folks got a mix when fueling up. According to local paper they made good on the issue with folks. And No, it was not a Maverick station.

Last edited by Razz; 05/26/20.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
many stations have a small gasoline sized nozzle for cars. that is a diesel nozzle that is small enough to fit in a diesel car fill tube.

other wise them meeercedes would not go far.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Why is the engine ruined?

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack

A few years ago the Maverick in Caldwell got diesel into the gas tank. A friend filled his Chrysler 300 and it promptly went into limp mode. Code reader said excessively heavy fuel IIRC. The mechanic knew immediately what the problem was.

Anyway, the answer for his car was a complete flush of the fuel system and reset of the computer.

Maverick picked up the tab on his car and a whole mess of other cars so afflicted.

I sincerely hope the computer recognized the problem on your truck and shut it down before any serious damage was done.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Injecting gasoline into a combustion chamber that's 1000+ degrees F. from compression pressure creates a bomb. The usual result is bent connecting rods and/or holes blown in the tops of pistons, broken piston rings, etc. Diesel in a gas engine just makes it run lousy, smoke, knock, and be very low on power if it runs at all. Gas in a Diesel is a total cluster fook!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 46 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.