24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking at these two tents, mostly for the ability to just use the fly with trekking poles. I'm leaning toward the Durston as I'm just not crazy about the SD color, but the difference in money is about $25, so cost is a wash. Anyone have experience with either?
https://durstongear.com/product/x-mid-1p
https://sierradesigns.com/high-route-1-fl/

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't have first hand experience with either, but know folks with the Durston.I prefer Dan's setup, and I believe he was the originator of the design. While both are 20D fabric, the Durston has a 2500mm sil/PU coating vs. Sierra Designs 1200mm Sil/PU coating. Also, the Durston has two actual doors (rather than the partial/gear door of the SD) and has bigger vestibules and great fly coverage.

Yeah, The Sierra Designs is fugly too!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
D
The main functional difference between these two shelters is that the X-Mid uses a wider rectangle (67" vs 42") so it can rotate the inner onto a diagonal. That layout gives much larger vestibules and eliminates the need for guylines because pole locations are no longer right along the edge. Space inside the inner tent is very similar in both tents but the X-Mid has much more vestibule space and a simper (4 stake) pitch. The High Route has the advantage of a very small footprint that can fit into small sites. Besides that there are some smaller differences, such as the X-Mid uses polyester fabric so it doesn't sag in the rain. Mostly I'd decide based on whether you prioritize vestibule space or a small footprint.

(Disclosure: I designed the X-Mid).

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good unbiased info even if you have a bias.

Welcome to the 'Fire....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dandurston
The main functional difference between these two shelters is that the X-Mid uses a wider rectangle (67" vs 42") so it can rotate the inner onto a diagonal. That layout gives much larger vestibules and eliminates the need for guylines because pole locations are no longer right along the edge. Space inside the inner tent is very similar in both tents but the X-Mid has much more vestibule space and a simper (4 stake) pitch. The High Route has the advantage of a very small footprint that can fit into small sites. Besides that there are some smaller differences, such as the X-Mid uses polyester fabric so it doesn't sag in the rain. Mostly I'd decide based on whether you prioritize vestibule space or a small footprint.

(Disclosure: I designed the X-Mid).

Wow, talk about straight from the horses mouth.

I'm certainly leaning toward the X-Mid mostly because I do like the vestibule space, but slightly less expensive and not looking like 10 clowns are going to come piling out of it helps.

It's getting hard these days to find a quality tent with good sewing of all seams and attachment points instead of cheap glue and shoddy sewing. I started out years ago using a Moss tent for backpacking and a VE-25 for base camps that were much higher quality than most tents today. I doubt the current VE-25 is half the quality of the older ones.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

D
D
I think you'd find the X-Mid is a high quality tent. It's built at the same factory as MSR and uses high end components throughout (e.g. ITW buckles, YKK AquaGuard zips instead of basic ones etc). The low price is only because they are sold direct (no retail markup). You can search the 144 actual user reviews on Drop for "quality", and I think you'd find good things said:
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-dan-durston-x-mid-1p-tent/reviews?search=quality

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
That X-mid is a cool looking tent with lots of great features. I’ve never seen them before. Got me thinking.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.