Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
How often do you clean your FL dies? I resized a few cases and I noticed the cases were being scratched. The die hadn't been scratching the brass until today. I had tumbled the brass and it was clean. I use Imperial wax to lube the cases. I just finished cleaning my FL dies.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I try to wipe them down or spritz them with carb cleaner before and after each use. I don't tumble cases usually and the reloading bench is in a dusty environment. Only takes a little grit to scratch a case. If I use the carb cleaner then a light lube with whatever is around the bench, Kroil, One Shot, Corrosion X Eesox, etc. Ed's Red takes care of both cleaning and light lube so that is handy.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Up to now (about 35 years) never. Except when I get a new set. Those I clean very thoroughly and oil all the threads, then use a q-tip to wipe a very thin coat of Imperial inside the body of the FL die.
Should I be adding a routine cleaning to my process?

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
TRexF16, I can't say you should or shouldn't. I decap my brass with a universal die. Right now I think that's where my problem was initiated from the grit from my primers. I'm going to clean my FL dies after I use them. I'm also going to clean my press after decapping my brass.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on the universal decapping die, lotsa grit from primers that's not finding its way into your sizing die.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I usually clean them when new.

If i have a problem by me not putting enough lube on the case and it gets stuck,then it gets cleaned again.

I also have dies that have not been used for years and before use they get scrubbed.

I use a de-priming die than tumble them for a short while just to get the crud off.

Scratched up dies before by not paying attention.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I clean once when first purchased. If I’m going to set aside dies for an expended period then I’ll wipe them down with a light coat of Ballistol To stop any surface rust. Then, when I take them out again I’ll hit them with brake cleaner and then a quick shot of Hornady One Shot.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
About once a year, unless I notice scratches. Clean when new as well. Carb/brake cleaner and a Q tip.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just polished the die that was scratching brass with a chamber mop coated with Flitz. I chucked the mop on my drill. Cleaned it up and it looks new.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I use brake clean, when they feel like there are getting sticky and gunky....

works just fine, and dries almost instantly...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Seafire
I use brake clean, when they feel like there are getting sticky and gunky....

works just fine, and dries almost instantly...

Just bought a can of non-chlorinated Brake clean today/

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Hoppes #9 and a Q-tip!

This is all you really need to clean you dies and it has worked perfectly for me for over 35 years now.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.