Print Thread
Hop To
L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Any merit in getting one of these? Thinking about it while I'm off work if it would actually help find a good maintenance job that wasnt at a poultry processor. Looks like a 1 year cert. Pay difference would actually cover that.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never stop learning.

Let me know if they have any classes on growing wheat. I might know someone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If you want to take the plunge, industrial electronics will keep you employed making good money in about any place you choose to live. But you can't get a cert in a year and it's a fairly demanding course of study.

If I had to do it all over again, that's what I would do.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Pretty broad job title from pnuematics to electronics and everything in between .
Dont see alot of entry level positions.
Most of the ones I have ever browsed look like they want 3 to 5 yrs experience in ALOT of things and be able to hit the ground running
day 1.
27 to 32 an hour to start around here from what I have looked at.
Seems like vacancies are open when a really experienced guy retires and a company is scrambling to fill his shoes so production is not slowed down. JMO....

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I worked industrial maintenance for several years, with nothing beyond 30-something years' experience as an auto mechanic for qualifications- - - -no formal certifications whatsoever. Along the way, I picked up experience working with 3-phase 440 volt electricity, plumbing, pipe fitting, maintenance welding, hydraulics, pneumatics, and digital machine controllers. Fortunately, I was working for companies where strict trade separation was not enforced by the union communists.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The certificate could be a benefit when looking for employment! Some employers will give points for any education. Some won't! Depends on the criteria of the classes! Like slumlord said never stop learning. I am not familiar with the program you are considering! In this state we have, Industrial Maintenance Millwright, this a four year apprenticeship! It cant hurt to take the classes!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by LJBass
Any merit in getting one of these? Thinking about it while I'm off work if it would actually help find a good maintenance job that wasnt at a poultry processor. Looks like a 1 year cert. Pay difference would actually cover that.

You have to weight out the time & cost, but a cert like that can quickly lead to better jobs, &/or an Associates degree in Ind. Maint. Engineering/mgmt. etc. etc. So many require/desire a hire to have something that hangs on the wall.

Been there done that. I worked Ind. Maint. for a bit over 20 years & 12 of that I ran the department. I could get a maint. job about anyplace for 50-60K a year, out on the floor with a tool cart & dirty fingernails. Nothing wrong with that, but the days get longer as you age. Some sort of degree in the same field could have put me in a maintenance office, if I desired for closer to 6 figures a year.

That's my experiences in central Ky., you area or talent/knowledge may differ.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If you want to take the plunge, industrial electronics will keep you employed making good money in about any place you choose to live. But you can't get a cert in a year and it's a fairly demanding course of study.

If I had to do it all over again, that's what I would do.

What does industrial electronics entail?

Our electricians covered everything from high voltage switch gear to servicing laser & vision systems, robotic electrical/electronic architecture including programming amongst others. If it had wires going to it or batteries they repaired it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I want to add something that's very important. Save, like you were hiding money, any little certificate of completion for classes or seminars that give them out & that you attend. Some qualify for college credit or points towards them.

I didn't know anything about college, & over the years I pitched away an Associates Degree. A credit here, a half a credit there add up. My many certificates of completion were just stuck in a drawer someplace soon lost.
Most know this advice, I was just ignorant or DGAF at the time.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After this pandemic which has wrecked supply chains, there will be a reshoring of production. There won't be many jobs with this, it will be all automation. The most important person in the company will be the electrician and maybe one of the few employees. I say this as a retired millwright, an old English term for industrial mechanic. Here in Canada , millwright is a four year apprenticeship with an interprovincial certificate, that we call Red Seal.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by slumlord
Never stop learning.

Let me know if they have any classes on growing wheat. I might know someone.

First statement, I fully agree.

Second statement.

I know a man. He could teach anybody to grow wheat.
"It's a process. You dig a hole, you put a seed in, you put dirt on top, add water, up comes the WHEAT."---Mike Bloomberg

Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by LJBass

You have to weight out the time & cost, but a cert like that can quickly lead to better jobs, &/or an Associates degree in Ind. Maint. Engineering/mgmt. etc. etc. So many require/desire a hire to have something that hangs on the wall.

Been there done that. I worked Ind. Maint. for a bit over 20 years & 12 of that I ran the department. I could get a maint. job about anyplace for 50-60K a year, out on the floor with a tool cart & dirty fingernails. Nothing wrong with that, but the days get longer as you age. Some sort of degree in the same field could have put me in a maintenance office, if I desired for closer to 6 figures a year.

That's my experiences in central Ky., you area or talent/knowledge may differ.

I worked the floor for the last 13 years as a machinist, Between that and working around the farm, Figured the cert would make for a better chance at a maintenance job and better pay. The Dirt hasn't killed me yet.

Other thought was Refrigeration. Quite of bit of cold storage warehousing, processing plants, things like that around.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Maintenance jobs are nice, you will live longer.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have an Associates in Industrial Maintenance plus I added Electronics I and II . Went through an apprentice program in one industry that lasted three years . Worked as General Maintenance (multi-craft) for nine years then added Electronic Tech to it and pulled that gig for ten years. Spent some time in Ion coating then changed industries and just have since done just straight troubleshooting (tire industry). All this in non-union shops over more than 34 years time. Never stop learning . Very few dull moments very good pay. I can go just about anywhere and work.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by renegade50
Pretty broad job title from pnuematics to electronics and everything in between .
Dont see alot of entry level positions.
Most of the ones I have ever browsed look like they want 3 to 5 yrs experience in ALOT of things and be able to hit the ground running
day 1.
27 to 32 an hour to start around here from what I have looked at.
Seems like vacancies are open when a really experienced guy retires and a company is scrambling to fill his shoes so production is not slowed down. JMO....

This describes it pretty well. When I started it was hard to get in as they were basically looking for a 25 year old with 30 yrs. of experience. Took all kinds of vocational courses plus correspondence courses to get my foot in the door and get hired into the apprentice program.

Some industries are now getting the tech schools to do these one year courses even in high school to start young folks in a background . They will then test these participants in these programs and take the cream of that crop to hire and finish their formal training often times requiring them to work two to three years in the hiring industry to pay for this education. It can be a sweet gig with no where to go but up if you have the talent for it...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most places I know of a journeyman's book in the construction trades (Pipefitters, Boilermakers, Millwrights, and Ironworkers) is akin to a master key for entry into industrial maintenance. And this with a strong bias towards those who have graduated an apprenticeship in their trade.

And It's not like any tradesman can do any job when he walks in the door, but the journeyman's book, and documented work history show evidence of work ethic and ability to learn. Use the master key for entry. Work and learn to master a new job.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good instrument tech is hard to find. Harder on the brain but easier on the body IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LJ-I’m an engineer for a company with plants in Monett, Mt Vernon, and 2 in Carthage, not poultry. I started as a maintenance manager 16 years ago. For the most part our maintenance teams are hired and educated from within. Typically it’s a production worker with some mechanical sense that passed the tests. Then they’ve learned within the shop and got into electronics and PLC programming.

Very few of our shop guys came off the street. The ones that did, any certifications just serve as a flag to get a call as a prospective applicant. Then you’d have to take screening tests for aptitude. Typically a hire off the street is working night shifts. Most of our maintenance departments are 12 hour shifts working 3 on 3 off 2 on 2 off. Repeat.

Refrigeration might be the best job of all. Monitor the systems. Do the paperwork. Generally the work that is involved it’s clean work just with motors/pumps/valves etc. A little ammonia never hurt anybody, warns you by smell if something is wrong and a mask generally filters it out, until an SCBA is needed anyway...

C
C
I bet I worked for the same company as Cheesy. And it is just like he said. They take people off the floor that already know the equipment and train them in what they need to know. I have learned a lot from on the job training. and still learn new stuff every day.
If you have the time and money to take classes I would do it if I where you. It can only help when trying for any job in a factory.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
126 members (32_20fan, 338reddog, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.