Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Don't buy a phuggin Dodge! There's a valid reason why they are cheaper.
.........Oh yeah? No explanation?

Sure. I’ve owned 2 Dodge trucks, and we’ve had several of them in our work fleet. Every single one of them were nothing but trouble. The new ones may be great, but my experiences with them have turned me off to the brand.

Great details. We are all thankful to have someone like you to enlighten us.

I could write a book on the subject.

Start the book with what year trucks are you talking about.

In fairness, they are no longer late model trucks. We stopped buying them because of poor service.

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have a 2003 Ram 3500, with Cummins 5.7? manual 6 speed that just turned 99K miles. It came with a 3,000lb Lance camper.

Front end redone, blown clutch, factory hubs went to hell, water pump went south, power steering pump replaced, I think a U joint or two...factory shifter knob or whatever it is called, was completely gone at time of clutch failure, and just replaced injectors, sleeves, headgasket. Sitting mostly idle for 8 years while we were in the Bush likely didn't do the seals and bearing much good, nor did the time my wife put gas in it (tank drain, replaced factory fuel pump - bad rep - with an aftermarket under the hood one per mechs recommendation, since they were there anyway). No tranny problems yet-tho there were metal shavings in itat fluuid rplacement last summer (It's first -way overdue!)

But then I'm at a mechanics mercy anyway....Got a good one now, I think. He hasn't screwed me yet.

That I know of...

I love the way the thing drives, but really......

Last one was a '90 Chev 3500 HD, diesel, auto trans.., which I got rid of a couple months ago with over 200K on it. One front end replacement, shocks, alternator, one engine replacement (wife tried to drive it home when it deveoped a ping one town over...), two brake jobs, several U joints I think...

One before that was a '80 150 with a 6 cyl,. A moose ate it at @ 130K. IIRC, one king pin and tie rod replacemt, alternator, shocks and a brake job. Mechanics kept commenting on how good the compression was yet. That's it...

Next one, if any, will again be a Ford most likely. Maybe a Chev. if Dave Smith is nice to me. smile

No more diesels, Unless like the last two, it's a deal I can't refuse. Tho I'm not so sure about the last one.

Last edited by las; 05/26/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Don't buy a phuggin Dodge! There's a valid reason why they are cheaper.
.........Oh yeah? No explanation?

Sure. I’ve owned 2 Dodge trucks, and we’ve had several of them in our work fleet. Every single one of them were nothing but trouble. The new ones may be great, but my experiences with them have turned me off to the brand.

Great details. We are all thankful to have someone like you to enlighten us.

I could write a book on the subject.
I bet you could.I can write one on Fords & Chebbies.LMAO grin
grin

Last edited by coobie; 05/26/20.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
I've been kicking some tires and thinking about trading my 2011 Silverado in. I really like the Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I'm running into some that have a 6 speed automatic and some have an 8 speed. Is either tranny more dependable?
...................I bought new a 2015 Ram Hemi Express; std cab; 6'4" bed; 8 spd trans; 3:21 rear diff; 2WD.........Love the thing......Just did a round tripper to from Calif to Texas and back. At 90 mph, engine rpm at 2,000.

My suggestion is to go with the 8 speed trans because imo you will have more gearing versatility, better acceleration and less engine RPM at fwy speeds. 85K miles on my truck. No trans issues.

Now if ya go with a Ram Hemi, here is a list of things I have added to mine for a 'lil more gitty up and slightly better gas mileage as well...

Cold air intake. Adds about 15 to 20 hp, more torque and a lower throatier sound when accelerating. Mine is an AFE.
18" Magnaflow straight thru muffler. Dump the OE muffler. Too restrictive. Beautiful sound. Much better than OE muffler.

Stage 3 Performance chip from www.chipyourcar.com. Plugs directly into the OBD2 port below the steering wheel under the dash. 60 seconds to install and forget about it. 45 to 60 hp gain. IT WORKS!

A complete conversion over to Amsoil Signature Series engine oil at 38,000 miles (15K change intervals), Amsoil trans fluid and Amsoil rear diff fluid at 55K miles. Doing that made the engine quieter, the trans shifts more crisp and the truck just a wee bit faster and smoother running still.

From the OE 395 HP; 410 ft lbs torque,,,,to a verified dyno test of 465 HP; 460 ft lbs torque.

It does love to go!.......

So you now get 30mpg with the magic chip.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I've been kicking some tires and thinking about trading my 2011 Silverado in. I really like the Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I'm running into some that have a 6 speed automatic and some have an 8 speed. Is either tranny more dependable?
...................I bought new a 2015 Ram Hemi Express; std cab; 6'4" bed; 8 spd trans; 3:21 rear diff; 2WD.........Love the thing......Just did a round tripper to from Calif to Texas and back. At 90 mph, engine rpm at 2,000.

My suggestion is to go with the 8 speed trans because imo you will have more gearing versatility, better acceleration and less engine RPM at fwy speeds. 85K miles on my truck. No trans issues.

Now if ya go with a Ram Hemi, here is a list of things I have added to mine for a 'lil more gitty up and slightly better gas mileage as well...

Cold air intake. Adds about 15 to 20 hp, more torque and a lower throatier sound when accelerating. Mine is an AFE.
18" Magnaflow straight thru muffler. Dump the OE muffler. Too restrictive. Beautiful sound. Much better than OE muffler.

Stage 3 Performance chip from www.chipyourcar.com. Plugs directly into the OBD2 port below the steering wheel under the dash. 60 seconds to install and forget about it. 45 to 60 hp gain. IT WORKS!

A complete conversion over to Amsoil Signature Series engine oil at 38,000 miles (15K change intervals), Amsoil trans fluid and Amsoil rear diff fluid at 55K miles. Doing that made the engine quieter, the trans shifts more crisp and the truck just a wee bit faster and smoother running still.

From the OE 395 HP; 410 ft lbs torque,,,,to a verified dyno test of 465 HP; 460 ft lbs torque.

It does love to go!.......

So you now get 30mpg with the magic chip.
..................Cute!....Wish I could get 30 mpg. .Did I type that I get 30 mpg in my post? "Slightly better" is what I typed...Magic chip? No! It is a performance chip that sends its own signals to the ECM thereby modifying the original factory ECM performance settings. I can also unplug the chip at any time, which will within a few minutes automatically reset the ECM back to factory and re-install it after I leave the dealer should I have any warranty work done.......Sneaky!!.......For performance along with added HP, it DOES work as advertised on their site. 3 to 5 mpg increase? Nope!....But I did not install it for any potential increased gas mileage.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Don't have a clue, put 150K on a stock trans in my 1 ton Dodge, shameless plug for Firepunk Diesel, they sent me a trans good for 750 HP and did away with all the weaknesses of the factory Dodge transmissions.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought the new Silverado instead. I get tempted by other makes but it's pretty hard to pull me away from Chevy in the end

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought the new Silverado instead. I get tempted by other makes but it's pretty hard to pull me away from Chevy in the end

It just got easier for me to get pulled away. Lifters and camshaft on my 2013 gone at 100K, Something failed in the mechanism where the engine drops 4 of the cylinders at highway speed. Over 4 grand to fix. My 04 was and is trouble free at over 250K, so I am very disappointed at the moment.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
...........OK! Put ya in a cold air intake, a Magnaflow or Flowmaster (dump the restrictive OE muffler), and getcha the same performance chip that I did which simply plugs into the OBD2 port under the dash below the steering wheel.......Installing a cold air intake and new magnaflow or flowmaster will not affect your OE factory warranty. And the chip will not harm your ECM.

You will notice a big difference.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

It just got easier for me to get pulled away. Lifters and camshaft on my 2013 gone at 100K, Something failed in the mechanism where the engine drops 4 of the cylinders at highway speed. Over 4 grand to fix. My 04 was and is trouble free at over 250K, so I am very disappointed at the moment.

AFM unit is a known disaster and the guys who know bypass the system with a Tuner. Cylinder reduction is overrated anyhow

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
...........OK! Put ya in a cold air intake, a Magnaflow or Flowmaster (dump the restrictive OE muffler), and getcha the same performance chip that I did which simply plugs into the OBD2 port under the dash below the steering wheel.......Installing a cold air intake and new magnaflow or flowmaster will not affect your OE factory warranty. And the chip will not harm your ECM.

You will notice a big difference.

Roger

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Congrats, hope it makes you a nice dependable truck.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500

Congrats, hope it makes you a nice dependable truck.

Thank you

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
The Allison Transmission in my 2011 Silverado HD has been bullet proof along with the rest of the vehicle 137 K no issues.

Keep that oil fresh. Those 1k's dont like dirty oil. Valve bodies are very picky and plus the way the tranny is set up. Good trannies if you keep on maintenance.

I work in an allison shop and have many hours on those things.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

AFM unit is a known disaster and the guys who know bypass the system with a Tuner. Cylinder reduction is overrated anyhow

Well, it is a disaster which is known to me too, now. And the fix will definitely bypass the system. I could have bought a heckuva lot of gas for what the repair bill is costing. Shoulda got Car Shield :=(

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.