Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by deflave
Duck O' Dumb,

You might not be gay, but I guarantee you know what a dick tastes like.

Pay no attention to deflave. His only contribution seems to be making threads longer, sort of like blog pollution. I doubt if he hunts or fishes. His main interest seems to be scatology.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
They’re definitely filling a niche. The big concern I would have is the batteries. In the future will you be able to find a replacement for whatever Ebike you have. Seems like the technology is still changing fast.

Me too. Also, I'd be concerned about what happens when the battery is drained. The E-bikes weigh a lot more than regular bikes and would be harder to pedal, even where it's flat.

Indy and Birdie, fwiw, the gentleman that I was talking about with the tri-cycle Quiet Cat has had his battery rebuilt.

Battery World in Baton Rouge.

His has a charge indicator on it to know when it’s getting on the low side.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
D
duck911 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Barkoff
So are these any help up steep hills, or just keep you up to speed on flat land?

Both.

Mine is a "class 1", meaning I have to peddle to get the power boost.

Class 3's have an actual throttle, they can zip you along without peddling.

So in the case of my bike, I'll still have to peddle to get up a steep hill. I can choose the level of assist via the computer. None, Eco, Sport, Touring, Turbo. I haven't had this bike on a steep hill yet (just got it yesterday) but based on previous rides I'd guesstimate that on "turbo" the effort to get up a steep hill would be 25% of normal.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
It ain't really a dirt bike if it does not go ding---ding-ding-----ding-ding and capable of 100 mph in the straights.

But, then I ain't riding it if it is. Too scary for me, even in my younger days.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are pretty amazing. Same pedaling effort from the rider provides about 3X the power. I rode one up a canyon grade - where normally you would be gearing down and huffing at the top, that thing just accelerated. Felt like the best/strongest day you ever had. Strange feeling and fun.......but here in Idaho they are only allowed on motorized trails. Many of the better trails have signs specifically stating no e-bikes. They are huge in Europe, maybe it will work it's way over here.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How much heavier is this bike than one without a motor? How fast do they go? Also, do they recharge when coasting down hill?

Last edited by OutlawPatriot; 05/26/20.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They weigh about twice what a non motorized one weighs. I believe most of them cut off power at 22mph. No recharging while coasting on any that I have seen. From what I understand the recharging mechanism adds too much weight. They are still pretty expensive starting around $2500 for basic bikes - ~ $750 std. mt. bike comparable components and fork. They had a $10K model at the Trek dealer a few weeks ago. Awesome - as it should be. Hopefully trickle down tech will work its way into E-Bikes by the time I need one.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonder what it feels like pedaling a 50 pound bike if that charge runs out.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Wonder what it feels like pedaling a 50 pound bike if that charge runs out.

The utility bike I built weighs near that. It is some work.

Two stroke motor kits are much cheaper, but legality is a question in some states.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I like eBikes. I was thinking about getting my wife one so she can join me on longer rides.

Two-stroke or bust!
Depends on the definition of "bust"..... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"...starting around $2500 for basic bikes" more like $1500.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like eBikes. I was thinking about getting my wife one so she can join me on longer rides.

The only reason for an E bike IMHO is this. Great thing Paul if it gets her riding with you when she otherwise wouldn't. E bikes are allowing older people to join in on rides they normally wouldn't go on. I don't think their best use is to haul someone who is too fat and lazy to buy a real bicycle. If that's the case ,just buy a gas powered cycle. It will be cheaper and last longer.

BTW-my touring bike is way over 50 lbs loaded and I normally ride it 20-30 miles a time,3-4 times a week just to train. If an E bike is geared low enough,it should still be ride-able when the battery dies.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 05/27/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"...50 pound bike if that charge runs out" more like 65 pounds. Range is 32- 64 km depending on hills, wind, payload,speed and amount of pedal assist.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

The only reason for an E bike IMHO is this. Great thing Paul if it gets her riding with you when she otherwise wouldn't. E bikes are allowing older people to join in on rides they normally wouldn't go on. I don't think their best use is to haul someone who is too fat and lazy to buy a real bicycle. If that's the case ,just buy a gas powered cycle. It will be cheaper and last longer.

BTW-my touring bike is way over 50 lbs loaded and I normally ride it 20-30 miles a time,3-4 times a week just to train. If an E bike is geared low enough,it should still be ride-able when the battery dies.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"just buy a cycle" Cannot use a gas powered cycle on bike trails. Motorcycle needs plates, Off Highway sticker, etc.This is the definition of e-bike:
Electric-assisted bicycle. "Electric-assisted bicycle" means a bicycle with two or three wheels that:
(1) has a saddle and fully operable pedals for human propulsion;

(2) meets the requirements:

(i) of federal motor vehicle safety standards for a motor-driven cycle in Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, sections 571.1 et seq.; or

(ii) for bicycles under Code of Federal Regulations, title 16, part 1512, or successor requirements; and

(3) has an electric motor that (i) has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts, (ii) is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, (iii) is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power alone is used to propel the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, and (iv) disengages or ceases to function when the vehicle's brakes are applied."
State laws vary but generally an e-bike is treated like a bicycle. However, trails administered by the DNR can prohibit e-bikes. The National Parks prohibited e-bikes but just recently changed that ruling.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just finished Turkey season. At 83, workout a minimum of 5 days a week on elliptical, treadmill and ab machine. I am in pretty darn good shape for my age. I got one good bird but I really had to work hard for it. Many miles and hills to get the one I wanted although I did pass up some smaller Toms. Thinking about it and not wanting to give up hunting until the buzzards are circling overhead I realized some adapting should be made. Got on the internet and started looking. Have on order an Rambo Nomad. Not the top of the line as no use getting something that will outlive me but it is what I think will serve me well as to my style of hunting. It is a highly rated bike but it didn't break the bank. Actually, I am looking forward to Deer season but no, I am not about to sell my Honda Pioneer yet

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bobmn
"just buy a cycle" Cannot use a gas powered cycle on bike trails. Motorcycle needs plates, Off Highway sticker, etc.This is the definition of e-bike:
Electric-assisted bicycle. "Electric-assisted bicycle" means a bicycle with two or three wheels that:
(1) has a saddle and fully operable pedals for human propulsion;

(2) meets the requirements:

(i) of federal motor vehicle safety standards for a motor-driven cycle in Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, sections 571.1 et seq.; or

(ii) for bicycles under Code of Federal Regulations, title 16, part 1512, or successor requirements; and

(3) has an electric motor that (i) has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts, (ii) is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, (iii) is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power alone is used to propel the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, and (iv) disengages or ceases to function when the vehicle's brakes are applied."
State laws vary but generally an e-bike is treated like a bicycle. However, trails administered by the DNR can prohibit e-bikes. The National Parks prohibited e-bikes but just recently changed that ruling.

I can see where an E-bike,even a heavier one would have some appeal if you live where you could legally use one ,but couldn't use a gas powered cycle. My major concern however is that as E-bikes get heavier and more powerful,they will be restricted right alongside gas powered cycles. I just don't think the legislation has caught up yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you live in an area with lots of hills, one of these seems like it would be cool to have. I believe you can adjust the assist level so you could set it up to give you just enough help to get up hills that may be brutal or force you off the bike otherwise, and just use leg power on flats and down hill. May allow a person to get to destinations on their bike they may otherwise never get to experience. Just have to resist the temptation to use it as a scooter so you still get exercise grin

MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
If you live in an area with lots of hills, one of these seems like it would be cool to have. I believe you can adjust the assist level so you could set it up to give you just enough help to get up hills that may be brutal or force you off the bike otherwise, and just use leg power on flats and down hill. May allow a person to get to destinations on their bike they may otherwise never get to experience. Just have to resist the temptation to use it as a scooter so you still get exercise grin

I'm 52 and fairly new to cycling but I have discovered that with a good mountain bike of low enough gearing,I can climb any hill. The real limitation is getting to be a good enough cyclist When you can balance at extremely low speeds and get built up on the bike,hills aren't so much of a problem anymore. I can ride up a hill while talking to my wife as she walks hers at an exhausted slow walk. She hasn't been riding as long or nearly as much as me.

At my age and fitness level I wouldn't want an E-bike,but I can see where one would be nice in some situations. I would just lean toward the assisted ones and the lightest ones possible. I've seen some of the MTB ones that were very light and the guys were riding then unassisted as much as assisted.That's the direction i would go unless I just couldn't peddle at all,and in such a case one might not really have the balance to be on a 2 wheeled bike at all.Just keep on going man,as much as you can,whatever it takes. there's some radical recumbent bikes out there too.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by fester

Bad as s if ya ask me..... but you didn’t.
Still bad a ss

Fester,

The e-dirtbikes look bad ass. And by all accounts, they are.

My brother was going to get the bigger KTM version but they seemed to have discontinued it already. They are still making a 50cc size version (for lack of a better term).

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,042
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.