-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spent almost two weeks in a hospital in May of 2003. Had to have a brain operation after they spent years figuring out what they had to do to fix it. The operation was exactly 17 years ago today. Got out a few days later and that was it except for a couple follow up visits to the surgeon. Recently turned 70 and that's the only hospital time unless you count that I was born in one.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One night in May ‘69 in DaNang and another in Gainesville about 5 years back. Round eye nurses in DaNang, a squint in G’ville...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Hernia surgery and H1N1, neither was bad. For the hernia, I was taking a lap of the ward and an older (much) female nurse patted my rear through the gown and commented on it. Nice to be appreciated, but that was a different time. For the H1N1, they kept pumping IV fluid into me and it kept running out, couldn’t seem to stay hydrated. They sent me home the next day and it took me about 8 days to recover.

Old70

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've been in a few times. Nothing life threatening. Mostly to fix structural damage.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
2 nights, 10 years ago when I was 52, broke my leg bad on an elk hunt, hypothermia was the most concern the first night, had surgery the next day to repair the leg.

Doc said I would never work construction again and to bring paperwork for SSI, I hobbled out and my wife said, he doesn't know you... was on the job site 3 months later hobbling around and was 75% after the first year.

Kent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2 nights after a sub-taylor dislocation of my right foot - playing volleyball and came down wrong, 4th of July, 1982.
2 nights after having tonsils and uvula removed in 1995.
2 nights with hernia and mesh surgery in 1999.
1 night with pancreatitis in 2002.
2 nights in 2004 with another round of pancreatitis.
2 nights after stomach surgery in 2008.

That's it so far but at 68, I fear there are a few more ahead of me.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm 71 & have only spent 1 night in incarceration. I was in jr high when I got tossed off a horse in my head. Whether I had lasting injuries is still being debated.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
They removed your uvula? I have a partial cleft uvula, birth defect.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Stepped on a barnyard nail when about 3. went right through.

I think 3 nights. I'm pushing 71 now.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
40 years old and never spent a night in the hospital or had any type of surgery for that matter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
61 Here.
None. I've been blessed and lucky!
I played a lot of competitive Hockey and came out with 6 stitches, 2 sore knees, 2 sore hands, and assorted other aches and pains. I was a slalom and barefoot waterskier until almost 50, and played most every sport as a kid. I was always very lucky! I was always involved in fairly high risk activities and always somehow avoided serious injury. I try to never complain about normal aches and pains of growing older and paying for the sins of my youth.
I can not imagine all the pain and suffering some have been through......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
As a patient? I've been lucky, only two. The first, one night, and heart scare, the second, when they put a stent in my heart.

Did you count the one night for your lobotomy ? laugh

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
One night when I was five in 1967 after hernia surgery.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
Stepped on a barnyard nail when about 3. went right through.

I think 3 nights. I'm pushing 71 now.

Which way are you pushing it?
wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Quite a few - As toddler / youth a month + with polio, 4 days with a bad concussion from hockey --- As an adult a week in an infection control ICU for something I caught at work, 2 days with shoulder / knee operations, 4 days for a lump removed from my spine, 2 days for hand surgery, a couple of nights with ticker issues, 2 nights with Achilles tendon surgery --- overall I was looked after well and was glad to leave. Seen quite a few people in worse shape especially from polio.

With the Hospital post infection bugs floating around now they are good places to stay away from.

Hugh
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
One night in a hospital in England, I was 6.........

One ambulance ride to Juneau Hosp., undiagnosed gastro event........ ????

For the price they billed I should have had lights and sirens, but alas NONE.... Leaving the dock, wheeled out on a gurney, the EMTs told everyone that it was a shark attack!!

PS: Travel insurance paid every dollar not covered by BCBS....... AND reimbursed both me and the missus for two missed days of a cruise.... me 'cause I was out, her 'cause I was out!?!?!?

Last edited by muffin; 05/27/20.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
1986 27 days,1987 23 days,1988 21 days,1997 8 days,2018 14 days.

Out of all of these the last was the worst,even waking up and being paralyzed was not as bad as losing 57 lbs.
in 14 days.

I told them if i was going to be this miserable to let me go home and get better or die.

It took me 2 weeks before i could walk to the front porch.

Still have not gained my weight back,can't seem to get out of the 160's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since moving to the Texas Hill Country I've had more friggin' surgeries than I care for. The two most serious landed me in the hospital. Emergency gall bladder surgery after an attack while at the lease 247 miles and 5 hours from home. I thought I could tough it out for the weekend and its a good thing I didn't try. The doc said I might not have made it had I not had my partner drive me back. GF took me to the ER and finally had to tell them that I was having chest pains and then they took me in real fast. Hooked me up to an EKG and I was like WTF, its not my chest that hurts. They didn't take my gall bladder out until Saturday afternoon. For an emergency surgery they sure took their damn time. That got me two nights.

I had to have hip replacement surgery in June of 2018. I should have only stayed one night, but they made me stay two because I had some kind of reaction to the pain meds. When the PT saw I was drooling like an idiot he asked me if I was ok and I remember shaking my head no and then being manhandled back into my bed. That surgery got me two nights.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Woke up with a J tube shoved down my piehole early Aug 2003 at the CASH on the airfield in Mosul.
Pretty unsettling trying to breathe and a having docs pull that outta ya outta the blue.

1 night.

Everything else been day procedure type of schit.
Even the mylar staple procedure on my LS diaphragm from above being medevaced back ta campbell for 90 days.

My little Bro/ best friend Slumlord the past 4 yrs.
Has gone thru operations , procedures, treatments ect ect ect.
That your average person cant imagine .
JMO..

Probably the toughest man I have ever met able to endure pain .
I have seen some fugged up schit .
Most of it are injuries people just dont see ever.
Most of these people injured are running on a adrenalin high from the event prior too or directly from the injury sustained.
Then ya got the shock factor setting in afterwards.

People undegoing medical planned painful med procedures dont have the brief benefit most of the time with adrenaline overriding pain for x amount of time.

Some of the things he has had done to him in the name of med procedures are out right torture in my thinking.

He is a tough person.

I dont even think you could waterboard him for info, cause he knows the procedure has to end eventually.
And would laugh and tell the people they aint got schitt on docs who conduct legal torture.

Last edited by renegade50; 05/27/20.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,165
Posts18,465,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.