Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
I've never owned a set of Goodyear Tires I was pleased with....ever.

I've had far better service from Bridgestone or Michelin.

Ditto on the Goodyear’s. I’ve had several sets of them, car and truck. Won’t buy them again. Have Bridgestones on my 2019 Silverado. Noise is not a problem, but traction is terrible. I don’t get into rocky off road stuff.
The last several sets of replacement tires I’ve bought have been Michelin. They are the gold standard for me and are what I will buy for the foreseeable future.

NRA Patron
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Tire slut here.......

never ran the GY DT.....but currently have two sets of GY Ultra Terrains

They seem to be a DTD exclusive....

Yes...they are louder even new at hwy speeds than the Cooper ST Maxx

'14 Tacoma comparison

As far as the GY DT's....reviews I've read are...not so great mileage & louder as they age

My tire selection not in any order......

Falkin WP3's.....BFG AT KO2's......GY UT's........Cooper ST Maxx..all E rated

pics show the GY UT in LT 265-70x17 sizing.....

Yes..on the GX 460 will be a 5 tire rotation

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by DaveR
I've run them. Would NEVER do so again.

They have incredibly weak sidewalls. In AZ's sharp rocks, I managed to run 16 years on my last Tacoma without a flat with different tires. About the third extended trip out I lost 3 Duracrap tires to sidewall punctures and gashes during the course of a one week elk hunt. Lost one to a pencil diameter wet stick through the sidewall. Bought them when they were still a new tire and didn't have a lot of information out there about them. My bad. They seemed like a perfect compromise between an AT and an MT.

Those were the "c" rated tires. Sidewalls were incredibly thin and flimsy. As thin or weak as the Bridgestone "HT's (Highway Terrain) I took off the truck which were factory tires. Not sure how much (or if) the "e" rated tires would fare. But if you google "duratrac weak sidewalls" you'll have all the info you need.

They also got quite noisy as time wore on, showed excessive chunking and cupping.

I've run BFG AT's (long time ago), Goodyear Duratracs, and more recently Goodyear MTR's, Bridgestone MT's (previous go to tire), Firestone MT's (bought reluctantly after Bridgestone discontinued the MT in my size), and am currently running Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx.

Of all of them, the ST Maxx has turned out to be my favorite tire, and I see no reason to go any other way from here on out. If they keep making them, I'll keep buying them. Like the Duratrac, good compromise between an AT and an MT, siped, and ready to accept studs if you want them. Of all of them, I believe them to be the quietest aggressive tire I've run (with the exception of the BFG AT's when they were newer). They do well in rain, highway, dirt and mud....but no experience in snow or ice yet. And they take a beating in the rocks well.

A bit stiffer since they're only available in "e" rated, but don't even notice anymore.

If you're not going in the dirt, I think the duratracs are a good road and snow tire if you rotate frequently. But they will get noisier even with that.

If you get off road, and in places where you're hard to get to or where tire failures mean being stranded or a long walk out, I would pass.

not trying to be rude...but everything you wrote was a waste of time....you are comparing a c rated tire you had to the new e rated tire you have now......of course the sidewalls are stiffer on an e..

bob

Well thanks, but let me clarify for you. The POS Bridgestone HT's C rated tires that came on the truck did several thousand miles on those with zero like issues to the Duracrap. Have also run E rated Firestone AT's as an emergency replacement which were just as poor as the duratrac C's for sidewall thickness, but presented no like issues with punctures. So all E rated tires are not the same. Nor are all C's. I've run C rated BFG AT's that took a pounding and had no related issues.

The load rating does not determine how well a tire will handle sidewall damage and punctures. Plies construction, rubber compound, thickness, etc., does.

And any tire not on a Prius that takes a failure to the sidewall from a wet pencil sized stick does not belong on anything that sees more than pavement.

I thought maybe I got incredibly unlucky (but the picture of that soggy stick through the sidewall of a fairly new tire never left me), and when I got back I did the research. It became quite clear, quite quickly, it was a tire model issue, not a tire load rating issue.

And as far as C vs. E is concerned, the debate about that can (and does rage on) forever. Load rating has little to nothing to do with puncture resistance. Sidewall construction methods and materials do. Sidewall stiffness or added plies does not automatically equate to puncture resistance, tear or cut resistance. There are plenty of guys out there having the same issues with E rated Duratracs.

Search the off road forums. Plenty of failures. More than any other common use off road tire than I've heard of.

This is a blast on the Duratracs, not Goodyear. Goodyear makes some great, tough tires (MTR's for example), but there are a lot of better options out there than the duratrac for a similar type and application tire.

At the end of the day I don't need to be a tire engineer or get into debates about load ratings, numbers of plies, etc., to know they're crap, they wore horribly, and were noisy as hell after a few miles (noisier than the Bridgestone MT's I took off). Nobody to blame but myself for buying a new unproven tire, but learned a lesson I did. They're usually "just fine" until they suddenly aren't. Just passing it along, along with the advise to search out on the internet (specifically) Duratrac Sidewalls. Buyer beware, but if you run them, and take the truck off pavement, you can't say you weren't warned. I'm just one of many with similar experiences, load rating be damned. Plenty of solid C rated off road tires out there. The DC isn't one of them. Plenty of weak assed E rated tires out there as well. The DC seems to be (as gathered from off road forums) is one of those... I checked, because I considered going the E rated duratrac after my previous C rated duratrac failures. The experiences of a good number of those who ran the E rated DC tires and also had the same type of failures showed it was NOT a load rating issue.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a set of E rated on my DC tacoma. I had about 60k on then when got a screw thru my sidewall. Discount tire replaced a pair for $60 out of pocket since I didn't buy the extended warranty. I have had nothing but positive things to say. I live in the PNW, so my daily drive includes a lot of gravel roads. I was also pretty impressed with the performance in snow.

I have BFG AT2 on my wife's tundra and they have gotten really loud on the highway at 20k miles. I am looking forward to replacing them. I would guess they are over half gone.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

They have incredibly weak sidewalls. In AZ's sharp rocks, I managed to run 16 years on my last Tacoma without a flat with different tires. About the third extended trip out I lost 3 Duracrap tires to sidewall punctures and gashes during the course of a one week elk hunt. Lost one to a pencil diameter wet stick through the sidewall. Bought them when they were still a new tire and didn't have a lot of information out there about them. My bad. They seemed like a perfect compromise between an AT and an MT.

Those were the "c" rated tires. Sidewalls were incredibly thin and flimsy. As thin or weak as the Bridgestone "HT's (Highway Terrain) I took off the truck which were factory tires. Not sure how much (or if) the "e" rated tires would fare. But if you google "duratrac weak sidewalls" you'll have all the info you need.

They also got quite noisy as time wore on, showed excessive chunking and cupping.

I've run BFG AT's (long time ago), Goodyear Duratracs, and more recently Goodyear MTR's, Bridgestone MT's (previous go to tire), Firestone MT's (bought reluctantly after Bridgestone discontinued the MT in my size), and am currently running Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx.

Of all of them, the ST Maxx has turned out to be my favorite tire, and I see no reason to go any other way from here on out. If they keep making them, I'll keep buying them. Like the Duratrac, good compromise between an AT and an MT, siped, and ready to accept studs if you want them. Of all of them, I believe them to be the quietest aggressive tire I've run (with the exception of the BFG AT's when they were newer). They do well in rain, highway, dirt and mud....but no experience in snow or ice yet. And they take a beating in the rocks well.

A bit stiffer since they're only available in "e" rated, but don't even notice anymore.

If you're not going in the dirt, I think the duratracs are a good road and snow tire if you rotate frequently. But they will get noisier even with that.

If you get off road, and in places where you're hard to get to or where tire failures mean being stranded or a long walk out, I would pass.

not trying to be rude...but everything you wrote was a waste of time....you are comparing a c rated tire you had to the new e rated tire you have now......of course the sidewalls are stiffer on an e..

bob

Well thanks, but let me clarify for you. The POS Bridgestone HT's C rated tires that came on the truck did several thousand miles on those with zero like issues to the Duracrap. Have also run E rated Firestone AT's as an emergency replacement which were just as poor as the duratrac C's for sidewall thickness, but presented no like issues with punctures. So all E rated tires are not the same. Nor are all C's. I've run C rated BFG AT's that took a pounding and had no related issues.

The load rating does not determine how well a tire will handle sidewall damage and punctures. Plies construction, rubber compound, thickness, etc., does.

And any tire not on a Prius that takes a failure to the sidewall from a wet pencil sized stick does not belong on anything that sees more than pavement.

I thought maybe I got incredibly unlucky (but the picture of that soggy stick through the sidewall of a fairly new tire never left me), and when I got back I did the research. It became quite clear, quite quickly, it was a tire model issue, not a tire load rating issue.

And as far as C vs. E is concerned, the debate about that can (and does rage on) forever. Load rating has little to nothing to do with puncture resistance. Sidewall construction methods and materials do. Sidewall stiffness or added plies does not automatically equate to puncture resistance, tear or cut resistance. There are plenty of guys out there having the same issues with E rated Duratracs.

Search the off road forums. Plenty of failures. More than any other common use off road tire than I've heard of.

This is a blast on the Duratracs, not Goodyear. Goodyear makes some great, tough tires (MTR's for example), but there are a lot of better options out there than the duratrac for a similar type and application tire.

At the end of the day I don't need to be a tire engineer or get into debates about load ratings, numbers of plies, etc., to know they're crap, they wore horribly, and were noisy as hell after a few miles (noisier than the Bridgestone MT's I took off). Nobody to blame but myself for buying a new unproven tire, but learned a lesson I did. They're usually "just fine" until they suddenly aren't. Just passing it along, along with the advise to search out on the internet (specifically) Duratrac Sidewalls. Buyer beware, but if you run them, and take the truck off pavement, you can't say you weren't warned. I'm just one of many with similar experiences, load rating be damned. Plenty of solid C rated off road tires out there. The DC isn't one of them. Plenty of weak assed E rated tires out there as well. The DC seems to be (as gathered from off road forums) is one of those... I checked, because I considered going the E rated duratrac after my previous C rated duratrac failures. The experiences of a good number of those who ran the E rated DC tires and also had the same type of failures showed it was NOT a load rating issue.

clam down........you dont know what you are talking about.........you dont like them thats all good....but for people that use them they work......bob

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

bob

clam down........you dont know what you are talking about.........you dont like them thats all good....but for people that use them they work......bob

LOL. Good luck!

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I tried a set of E rated Duratracks on my 98 Dodge 2500 when I had it. OK tire until you loaded them. Super soft , weak side walls. Going around a curve you could feel them roll . Hunting season with truck, camper, 3 horse trailer, mules ,gear, and feed I was running 16,500pounds though. Empty they were OK. I went to Cooper SST Max and there was a world of difference. Cheaper too.The Duratracks are proabaly ok for a 1/ 2T.

I have a set of the OEM Firestones on my 2019 Chevy at present. Have not tformed an opinon yet. Seem to be OK under load.Noisy though

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/27/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I tried a set of E rated Duratracks on my 98 Dodge 2500 when I had it. OK tire until you loaded them. Super soft , weak side walls. Going around a curve you could feel them roll . Hunting season with truck, camper, 3 horse trailer, mules ,gear, and feed I was running 16,500pounds though. Empty they were OK. I went to Cooper SST Max and there was a world of difference. Cheaper too.The Duratracks are proabaly ok for a 1/ 2T.

I have a set of the OEM Firestones on my 2019 Chevy at present. Have not tformed an opinon yet. Seem to be OK under load.Noisy though

I load the same....no problem here..........except mules......horses here.......every body is different......dave good luck.......bob

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by colvin
Check out the Falken wild peak at3w, very very good reviews. I’ll be running them come this fall.

This. Cheap too, shipped FREE if you an Amazon prime member.

I run them on my Tundra and Wrangler. 100,000 miles over 3 sets of tires (2 sets still on the road) and I am a FAN.

And I abuse the chit out of them. My Tundra is my #1 hunting vehicle and I take it places Tundra's should not go in the Rocky Mountains.

I rock crawl a bit with my Jeep (and it's just the 4-banger) so I am HELL on those tires.

Never a failure.

Last edited by duck911; 05/27/20.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Can’t imagine wearing out bfg all terrain ko2s in 20k miles. 50k on mine and as quiet as new.

Thanks guys for all the input. Seems like the Goodyear is a louder tire that doesn’t last as long as the bfg k02

Was hoping they were equals...nice looking tire

GOD Bless America
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Quak
Can’t imagine wearing out bfg all terrain ko2s in 20k miles. 50k on mine and as quiet as new.

Thanks guys for all the input. Seems like the Goodyear is a louder tire that doesn’t last as long as the bfg k02

Take a good look at the Nitto Ridge Grappler. I’ve got over 63k on mine on a 2017 F-150 and still have plenty of tread left. These tires are going to go 80k easy which is the most I’ve ever gotten on a set of tires. I rotate them every 5-6k when I change my oil. No complaints or problems here. Not noisy, no mushy sidewall like the duratrac although they do have a little stiffer sidewall than the BFG KO2. Good luck

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

the problem with these discussions is you don't know how people drive......my truck is a 1 ton diesel so its heavy.....aftermarket front and rear bumpers......more weight....16.5 winch....more weight.....custom dog box in bed....a lot of weight..

how fast....taking off.....how much braking.....hard.. or are you a coaster...….all pavement or some gravel etc...all of these things affect tire life.

myself I was glad when my nittos wore out.....truck wandered like crazy...wore out by 30,000....as far as loud any aggressive tire is loud.

….bob

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Running 295/65/18's E on my Chevy 2500HD and have no issues with them, mostly pavement and some muddy roads.

I don't think they would wear as well on my prior Dodge 2500 QC 4x4 diesels.

Dave

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I'm on my 4th set of BFG A/Ts (2 sets of original KOs and 2 sets of KO2s) with mixed results. I will say definitively my next set of tires won't be another set of KO2s. They wore fantastic on my Nissan Frontier (had 45k when I sold it and still tons of life left). On my current truck (F-150) they wore fine for the first 30k miles but rather suddenly started scalloping and got super noisy. The obvious answer would be worn suspension components but I completely rebuilt it before buying my current set of tires and have had the alignment checked twice in 3 years, always spot-on and regularly rotate them every 5-6k miles. I've owned vehicles with aggressive mud terrains in the past and the way my current tires are worn they are at least as noisy. The tires have performed admirably on-road and off up until they started wearing like [bleep].

My next set will likely be Falken AT3Ws or Ridge Grapplers.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had the Duratrac on a 01 F-150, over 50k and looked great when we sold the truck 2 years ago. Same tires are still on it, sold it to the sister in law.
I like to run a "E" rated tire on all the 4 wheel drives, except the little Ford Ranger, the other 3 have them. Of course i live rural and almost every weekend we run around in the sticks.
My absolute favorite tire is the Toyo M-55.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,661 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.