Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
They kill birds too. Solar panels are better, but are better in the southwest US where it is mostly dry and doesn't rain as much. Plain states are good, however they kills the migratory birds. Nuclear power is the only real option we have for massive 24/7 power production. They are now making smaller, self contained, modular nuclear power plants that will not melt down, and don't need much water to cool down. Some use Thorium instead of Uranium or Plutonium. Thorium breaks down to safe levels after use in a short period of time vs a long time for the other two. Thorium is more plentiful and less radioactive. Thorium also cannot be made into bombs. Solar and wind do better for small scale homestead use, or supplemental use for suburbs.

I'm familiar with (PBMR) Pebble Bed Modular Reactors. I invested in Excelon when they secured the technology in early 2001. It made lots of sense at the time, but proved to be way ahead of public sentiment in the States.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just more subsidized greenie bull shidt like ethanol.

I'm for coal and nukes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Just more subsidized greenie bull shidt like ethanol.

I'm for coal and nukes.

This is the truth. So many installations were only economically viable when subsidized by Obama era stimulus in the form of the ARRA coupled with various state incentives.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They’re eye pollution.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Nuclear is cleaner and cheaper.

Exactamundo.And yeah, we don't know what to do with the waste, but you can run ALL of the country's energy needs with them and store the resultant waste in 10 acres...we can figure out what to do with it later. You don't have to mine for more stuff if you use breeder reactors .

Instead we strip mine, we build dams and screw up rivers, and we put those damn not-cost-effective turbines as eyesores on the land.

A lot of this country was built on cheap energy, and in nuclear power we have it handed to us on a silver platter...and refuse to take it...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Got two on in laws pasture in north Oklahoma. Other than a visual eye sore, can’t say they bother any critters. Maybe some flying species get whacked, but I’m not there enough to know about that.

NRA Patron
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dale06
Got two on in laws pasture in north Oklahoma. Other than a visual eye sore, can’t say they bother any critters. Maybe some flying species get whacked, but I’m not there enough to know about that.

Wait! An actual reply to the original question!? Thank you!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My back ground is in power plant managment. For most areas in the country there would not be a single wind turbine built if not for subsidies. Places like parts of Texas and Wyoming are exceptions. The company I previously worked for lost money on every wind turbine they owned, but was forced into building them to meet renewable energy mandates.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone who has turbines is a gullible twit, or lives in a state governed by same.

Wind, like solar, can't provide reliable base load, it can only be supplemental until such time efficient and cost-effective, yet still effing HUGE banks of batteries become viable, and that last is a LONG way off.

Even worse, when it's 90 below and dark, and you really need the lights to come on -- the wind doesn't blow.

Even worse, if there ever is enough collective stupidity, and wind is "built out," I did some calculations and just to replace Colstrip would require covering the Dakotas and half of Montana with fans, and THAT was generous because I pretended the duty cycle would be consistent 24 hours a day, calm somewhere, blowing elsewhere, but even across four states, sometimes, everything is either off line, or spinning like crazy.

If the technology paid for itself and was viable in terms of duty cycle/output, I'd support it. But honestly, wind and solar are delusional wastes of resources.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Could be a first AND last!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Yes, but we were here, and we saw it happen!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
What drives me nuts, is the federal funds that get used for a fraudulent cause. They provide nothing. Vast majority have no cables running power anywhere worthwhile.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is quite a few of them in Eastern WA and most of the time when I drive past the turbines about half aren't running. Broke down, shut down? Seems pretty inefficient if they are supposed to be operating, despite being the eye-sore they are.

M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
They offered to lease my South Texas ranch. It was eight dollars an acre if I remember correctly. I was told windmills pay 5-15.000 a year depending on size.

I didn't go for it. They had a 40 page contract. My attorney said anybody who signed it had to be nuts. It was for 40 years and you basically gave them control of your property. Wasn't worth the eyesore to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Anyone who has turbines is a gullible twit, or lives in a state governed by same.

Wind, like solar, can't provide reliable base load, it can only be supplemental until such time efficient and cost-effective, yet still effing HUGE banks of batteries become viable, and that last is a LONG way off.

Even worse, when it's 90 below and dark, and you really need the lights to come on -- the wind doesn't blow.

Even worse, if there ever is enough collective stupidity, and wind is "built out," I did some calculations and just to replace Colstrip would require covering the Dakotas and half of Montana with fans, and THAT was generous because I pretended the duty cycle would be consistent 24 hours a day, calm somewhere, blowing elsewhere, but even across four states, sometimes, everything is either off line, or spinning like crazy.

If the technology paid for itself and was viable in terms of duty cycle/output, I'd support it. But honestly, wind and solar are delusional wastes of resources.

Where is Captain Kurk when you need a good battery?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

What the hell is this? Am I on the wrong forum?

An actual reply to the original question has gotta be a thread killer for sure!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I like em.

We have the place leased.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
.... Vast majority have no cables running power anywhere worthwhile.

Respectfully, can you please elaborate?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The wind gen need batteries to store the power.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 92 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.