Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The "Think" signs John. It's been many years now since I've seen them.

They are all over in South Dakota, especially on the res. Highway dept puts them up at fatal accident sites.

https://dps.sd.gov/safety-enforcement/highway-safety/think-signs

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by slumlord

We had one like that on i-40 several years back, prisoner transfer van had a breakdown, van caught fire, all the convicts were chained to rails,

I can barely remember the spot any more. And the pickets are all long gone.

These guys all burned too... The deadliest highway crash in Montana history

Before I click on the link....was it that fire truck that wiped out that whole family?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nope

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Nope.....it wasn't.

You guys remember that jr hockey team that got destroyed in Canada a while back?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bet you remember this Jim
How old were you in Jan 1984?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Nope.....it wasn't.

You guys remember that jr hockey team that got destroyed in Canada a while back?

I don't recall it..

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I bet you remember this Jim
How old were you in Jan 1984?

Almost one.

Before my time.

I have seen sports busses leave in terrible weather and it always give me the chills.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sucks that the last thing the kids got to do was hang out at the IGA in Browning...
That gas tanker pullin' the pup wrapped them as it slid down the hill.

So you weren't driving the year Hwy 2 got shut down for months when an avalanche took out the Goat Lick bridge either then I guess?

Long ways around that one.....

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
No...but I was driving when my dad's buddy took out the Milk River bridge with a D8 on a trailer early one morning.

Few DOT men out at 6 am....

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jerryv
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The "Think" signs John. It's been many years now since I've seen them.

They are all over in South Dakota, especially on the res. Highway dept puts them up at fatal accident sites.

https://dps.sd.gov/safety-enforcement/highway-safety/think-signs

Jerry

Thanks - I could not remember the name of the Des Moines insurance company that originated the signs that I remembered here in Iowa years ago.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Randy travis used to have some whiny drivel of a song

Before he went nuts and started drinkin with his balls out

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Nope.....it wasn't.

Humbolt Broncos...16 dead and the truck driver who killed them plead guilty...

Last edited by sgt217; 05/27/20.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rem141r
while i empathize, i think there are better ways and places to memorialize their loved ones than putting a schitty memorial along a highway.

I absolutely agree, everyone knows they should be on the back window of your 8 year old Tahoe...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Very well written story detailing a tragedy.

Bookmarked the Flathead Beacon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord

We had one like that on i-40 several years back, prisoner transfer van had a breakdown, van caught fire, all the convicts were chained to rails,

I can barely remember the spot any more. And the pickets are all long gone.

These guys all burned too... The deadliest highway crash in Montana history

I remember that well. It impacted other communities too. Traveling for sports changed. There were trips we made to Eastern Montana that we never should have.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
They're certainly beloved by those damn blue collar tweekers.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I have a good friend who is a heavy equipment operator and did lots of road work down in southern Ohio. He said they encountered lots of family burial plots out in the middle of nowhere and had to go through official channels to get them moved. If you go south on 11 out of Canfield heading down into the hill country and watch off to the sides, just outside the fences, you'll see markers from family plots that had to be moved due to the road construction.

That's everywhere. Families often buried their loved ones on their farm, instead of buying a plot in a cemetery. There were four or five family plots I can think of, within a mile of my Dad's Missouri farm, and those are just the ones I know about.

When Ft. Knox was being aquired, the gov't bought up a LOT of land, including several small towns and churchgrounds. IIRC, there are 32 cemeteries on Ft. Knox alone, and Knox allows them to be serviced on Memorial Day, and allows families to clean up and maintain the gravesites.in perpetuity. Damned decent of them, really. I think Knox absorbed six or seven small towns and who knows how many churches.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I see them on beaches and roads. Zero issues with them and know the circumstances of a few of them.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

there are a few in the canyon going to big sky....good reminder to slow down......I drive it a lot ...dangerous road.....bob

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You've all seen crosses and other memorials along roads where someone died in an accident. Seems that you don't just go out and plant a cross for your loved one. Like everything else in this country, you need the government's permission. This set of rules is from Idaho. I assume other states do something similar. This only applies to state highways. I assume you need a permit for US highways and country roads, too.

Roadside memorials can be legal if permitted. “There is a form that needs to be filled out to make sure the roadside memorial is far enough off the road, out of the right of way, and of a standard type so it doesn’t create a traffic safety issue for drivers,” said Reed Hollinshead, public information officer for Idaho Transportation Department. “Our first concern is safety, but we don’t want to short-circuit the grieving process or disallow remembrances when they adhere to a safety standard. Each district location of ITD has a traffic office to handle the requests.”

Idaho law says, as a means of promoting road safety, the transportation department, the state police and other law enforcement officers permit relatives or friends of a person killed in a traffic accident upon a state highway may apply for a permit to erect a memorial in memory of the decedent. The memorial should be erected adjacent to the portion of the highway where the accident occurred so the memorial serves as a reminder that a fatality occurred.

The statute also said only one memorial may be placed per fatal accident.

The maximum dimensions of a memorial are 36 inches high, 16 inches wide and no more than seven pounds. Memorials should not resemble or conflict with traffic control devices, and should not use reflectors. Planting or landscaping at a memorial is not allowed.

Memorials must be erected near the milepost where the accident occurred. The person installing the memorial is responsible for contacting a utility company to identify the location of any utilities in the area. The applicant is also required to meet on-site with the department highway maintenance supervisor to review the proposed installation. The supervisor will be responsible for final approval.

Memorials must be placed a minimum of 20 feet from the roadway shoulder. Placement of a memorial in the median of any interstate or non-interstate highway or within the boundaries of incorporated cities is prohibited.

Permittees should park their vehicle away from the travel lanes and in an area where there is adequate sight distance on the highway in both directions. They must wear proper safety attire and obey all safety procedures approved by the department.

The department is not responsible for maintenance, vandalism, damage, or theft of a memorial.

Memorials not installed in compliance, not maintained in good condition, or create a traffic hazard are subject to removal by the department.

“You should check with the agency that controls the right-of-way where the memorial will be placed like the city engineering department, highway district or state department of transportation,” said Woody Cullen, code enforcement officer for the city of Twin Falls.

These rules do not apply to certain religions or nationalities. Some who are of the only group assured of heaven need this type of religious freedom to get there with beer.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,081
Posts18,463,897
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.