Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TRexF16 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
John,
I am beginning to use the new clear stuff in the metal bottle - never used any of the older stuff but have poured over all the historical instructions and threads. I have no trouble cleaning to bare steel and have a borescope to verify that job.
I have a question on the latest set of instructions that are printed on the back of the new Dyna-Tek Bore Coat packaging.
My question is with steps 3 and 4:
1. Unload...blah...blah
2. Gently shake …(this is interesting since the older instructions said to shake well for two minutes)
3. Dip a bore mop into the liquid, and remove excess product on the mop.
4. Insert the bore mop and run it the entire length of the bore toward the muzzle in 2-4" strokes. Pull back to the chamber in a single stroke. Repeat this process three (3) times, leaving a very thin coat.
5. Wipe, & dry, muzzle down, etc.
6. Shoot...

If I follow this to the letter, I dip the mop only the one time (step 3), then do the swabbing 3 times (step 4), without ever re-dipping the mop, since step 4 seems to be the "this process" referenced. But this seems to leave a REALLY thin coat and previous versions of the instructions indicated a second wetting. Also, reading satisfied customers descriptions of their techniques indicates maybe a little (or a lot) more of the stuff put in the bore.

Should I dip the mop prior to every swabbing or just once?

Thanks,
Rex

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Haven't seen the new directions, but from past experience would guess they'd work.

Sometimes am baffled by such detailed instructions, because barrels vary. But have probably done essentially the same thing.

The big deals are to totally clean and degrease the bore, then make sure there's a thin layer of DBC throughout the bore. If that's the methed they now believe works best, then I'd try it.

But have gotten superb results with somewhat different techniques--though all have involved making sure a later of DBC is applied throughout the bore.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks John.
Sounds like you concur with my interpretations of the current instructions.
Assuming the bore is already bare-steel cleaned and degreased, would you mind a brief description of your somewhat different techniques?
Thanks,
Rex

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've used plain old cotton patches rather than bore-mops, as long as the patches fit relatively loosely in the bore.The biggie, in my experience, is is not the particular applicator, but being sure the DBC ends up in a thin layer through out the bore. (As a side-note, have seen plenty of "experts" who think a really tight patch works better both for cleaning bores and applying DBC. Instead it means most of the solvent or DBC is squeezed out of the bore.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It would seem that some manufacturers would DBC bores as at least a factory option, if not a standard offering. Are there any custom barrel makers who offer the service?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Know of one muzzleloader company that did.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've been looking on line for some. Every place so far has been out of stock. I'd like to try it.

Jim
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019547645

The company that makes DBC has only been selling it through Midway and Brownells for several years.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The instructions on the pack also state to let the DBC cure for 4 hours before you shoot. IIRC, the instructions I have read on old threads say to let the DBC cure for 8 hours or so. I am curious on how long has everyone here been letting it cure?

Last edited by CarolinaHunter; 05/27/20.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad
It would seem that some manufacturers would DBC bores as at least a factory option, if not a standard offering. Are there any custom barrel makers who offer the service?

Wouldn't that be an admission their barrels need it?

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems to me the main thing is how clean it is pre treatment. It's gotta be squeeky clean. Bore scope is a real help in this phase.

I use a slotted jag with a strip of cleaning patch that fits loosly. I dip before each pass, but let the excess run back into the bottle.

I tape a shotshell hull to the barrel when coming in from the chamber. That keeps stuff from running out on the floor.

From the muzzle, I jam a cloth in the chamber to keep product from running into the action.

I use a padded vice to hold the gun barrel up or barrel down.

I let it dry well before shooting.

The bore seems to get easier to clean after several shoot and clean cycles.

Most of my rifles now clean easily with a few Patch Out passes. If there is residual fouling seen thru the scope, a soaking for a few hours usually does the trick.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/27/20.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've used plain old cotton patches rather than bore-mops, as long as the patches fit relatively loosely in the bore.The biggie, in my experience, is is not the particular applicator, but being sure the DBC ends up in a thin layer through out the bore. (As a side-note, have seen plenty of "experts" who think a really tight patch works better both for cleaning bores and applying DBC. Instead it means most of the solvent or DBC is squeezed out of the bore.)

Yeah, I coated the bore on my 9.3x62 and my sense was too much of the DBC was getting squeegeed out by the bore mop, which keeps getting drier as you go through the three repetitions of the application stroke without re-dipping the mop.
Maybe when they wrote "Repeat this process three (3) times..." what they really meant was "Repeat steps 3 and 4 three (3) times...."
One reason I was suspicious is because the bottle says "treats up to five firearms", and following their instructions, even on the big 9.3x62, used up almost none of it.
It can be a challenge to write instructions or specifications that mean exactly what they're intend them to mean.

Any other experienced DBC users have an input on this too?

Thanks,
Rex

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
DF,

+1--except I just put an empty case in the chamber, instead of jamming a cloth.

But I also don't apply DBC as much since so many new powders with decoppering agents have appeared. In general they work very well, partly because so many new powders are also muck cleaner-burning.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Seems to me the producer of the product ought to take twenty minutes and post a video to clarify their murky instructions.

Good grief.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Yeah, I coated the bore on my 9.3x62 and my sense was too much of the DBC was getting squeegeed out by the bore mop, which keeps getting drier as you go through the three repetitions of the application stroke without re-dipping the mop.
Maybe when they wrote "Repeat this process three (3) times..." what they really meant was "Repeat steps 3 and 4 three (3) times...."
One reason I was suspicious is because the bottle says "treats up to five firearms", and following their instructions, even on the big 9.3x62, used up almost none of it.
It can be a challenge to write instructions or specifications that mean exactly what they're intend them to mean.

Any other experienced DBC users have an input on this too?

Thanks,
Rex

The idea is to dip the bore mop only once at the outset of the application, and to run the mop through the bore 3 times. As mentioned in the directions, the intent is to ensure a very thin layer of the coating is evenly applied to the bore, with the notion that less is more.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Do you guys stand the rifle muzzle end down on a towel or leave it horizontally after applying? Also, how long do you allow it to set before the 8-10 shots?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
Do you guys stand the rifle muzzle end down on a towel or leave it horizontally after applying? Also, how long do you allow it to set before the 8-10 shots?

I use a padded vice to position the rifle vertical, held by the barrel. Then vertical pointed down, held by the stock.

It dries pretty fast, doesn't take long. I usually treat one day, it may be several days or a week or more before I get a chance to shoot it.

I see no reason why one couldn't shoot after it dries. And, I'm not sure how long that would take. It dries pretty fast.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a cotton patch as well and make sure the bore is "wet" with DBC and let dry overnight. I will shoot it 10-20 times and reclean and reapply and it seems to be good for a long time of easy cleaning. It made a huge difference in my muzzleloader (like jaw dropping) YMMV

Last edited by jmp300wsm; 05/28/20.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter

Don't know where I read this but I coat and lay the rifle on it's side and level. Next pass lay on other side. Then third pass upright in a vise and the upside down in the vice. Supposedly if any DBC is pooling it will soak the side the rifle is laying on. Probably doesn't make much difference but I feel like it might and otherwise excess product would just run out the barrel. It works well on shotguns to reduce plastic accumulation, in fact since most of my barrels are custom (and the makers say no lapping are barrel coating products or any warranty is void) this is the biggest benefit to me.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 57 invisible), 3,149 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.