Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Well, come on you 40 Short and Weak guys, get in the game!

We've seen plenty of dead animal, big knife and high class booze pics from the .357 crowd. Time for y'all to post pics of your 40's with some supermarket chardonnay lying on a rainbow feather boa. Extra points for a really badass nail file...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

How about a 10milly

Last edited by widrahthaar; 05/26/20.
BP-B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

We've seen plenty of dead animal, big knife and high class booze pics from the .357 crowd. Time for y'all to post pics of your 40's with some supermarket chardonnay lying on a rainbow feather boa. Extra points for a really badass nail file...

We've nothing to prove.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Is there some reason a handgun shooter can't have both and enjoy the differences? JFC

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No photos here, but I use 3 different .357's: For EDC I carry the J Frame , 5 shot, 3" barrel S&W. I also carry it in muzzle loader season.. In the saddle I carry a Ruger 4"Securiy Six. At the range I mostly shoot my 6" S&W 686.I also have a 6" Ruger Bakckhawk that does not get shot much.
Besides those three .357's I have 4 different 22 revolvers. Favorite being the S&W K-22.

I only have two semi's. An Interarms Firestar and a Sig P320 sub conpact. in 9mm .I gave my 1911 in 45ACP to a friend two years gago

For some reason, I can shoot all the .357's quite well, both single and double acton but I really have to workat it to shoot the semis even half as well without the dreaded low and to the left.I know what I am doing wrong, but cannot seem to correct it except by extreme concentration with each shot. At the range, I can run 300 rounds thru the 3 different .357's and be very satisfied. The semis, not so much. I can' t get comfortable grip on them.

I feel that if I should ever need the EDC gun, I can hit what I need to with only five rounds. I am not so confident with the semis although I could do a lot of hurt with 12 -15 rounds out of the semis I guess.

The other thing is I hate chasing brass at the range. Even worse in the winter and the fact that I need a tool to fill the magazines. With a revolver, they are easy to load, and dump the empties in a coffee can.

Guess I am just one of those old farts

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/26/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Is there some reason a handgun shooter can't have both and enjoy the differences? JFC

Nope, we're hard-wired for tribalism......grin

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

We can't address this question unless you clarify whether you're referring to real life or 24HourCampfire life.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Room in vault, training, & plicking fun for both.

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by paul105
I have both and shoot both. For whatever reason (long time familiarity most likely) I shoot the K Frame S&W M66-8 2.75" .357 Mag better. Here are some chrono results from my then new Labradar test run.

Labradar Muzzle Velocity (familiarization run)
60 Deg F
S&W M66-8 2.75" .357 Mag

130gr Fed Hydra-Shok JHP "Personal Defense" PD357HS2 H …….. 1,416 fps avg (84 fps ES) -- two rounds
140gr Underwood Xtreme Penetrator (Philips head mono metal).. 1,422 fps avg ( 5 fps ES) -- two rounds
158gr Horn Xtp - 15.0gr A2400 Std small pistol, new Starline...… 1,316 fps avg (49 fps ES) -- six rounds
165gr CSWCGC (358156) - 13.0gr A2400 New Starline         ...… 1,180 fps avg (84 fps ES) -- six rounds
180gr Buff Bore …………………………………………………………………………….. 1,312 fps avg ( 6 fps ES) -- two rounds
185gr LFNGC (Beartooth), 15.0gr Lil'Gun, CCI 400 New Starline.. 1,228 fps avg (14 fps ES) – two rounds
200gr WLNGC (leadheads), 13.4gr H110, Fed 205, New Starline.. 1,102 fps avg ( 4 fps ES) – two rounds
200gr WLNGC (leadheads), 14.4gr H110, Fed 205, New Starline.. 1,155 fps avg ( 2 fps ES) – two rounds
(purported to be the “Doubletap” load info)
200gr WLNGC (leadheads) handload with Lil Gun ………………………. 1,266 fps avg ( 2 fps ES) -- two rounds
Load data not given -- maybe too much of a good thing. Spent cases fell from chambers, and no obvious signs of over pressure. Recoil was heavy for a .357.

If even needed, I would limit useage of the 180, 185, and 200gr loads in J & K Frame guns

Also ran two Buff Bore 180s thru 16" Rossi M92 carbine ……………. 1,894 fps avg ( 6 fps ES) -- two rounds

When I first reloaded for my M&P40, 4", I found that Hodgdon's Longshot load data gave me 1370fps average for a Hi Tek coated 18bhn 155gr lswc. The M&P has full casehead support, and I stretched my COL out to 1.16", so no worries there but it would throw my brass into the next county. I throttled it way back to almost the starting load to arrive at 1250fps which seemed reasonable. I also fiddled with 180gr fodder and quickly decided to stay under 1200fps.
Turns out that lots of folks discovered the same thing with Longshot - the 40sw becomes the 10mm lite.

I still carry a revolver when I'm serious about bears, ( 329pd with 270gr WFN @1150fps), but my knife is a Havalon Piranta and I don't have any animal skins.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I fully expected to come home from work and find some .40's wrapped in feathers..or at least some sort of photographic retort from the .40 gang.

And what do I get? Nuttin'.

Hmmph.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Depends primarily on the bullets over speed, noise, racket and recoil. Posting muzzle velocities of handgun rounds and boasting "power" sure looks conclusive, but its also pretty misleading.

The wheelgun chambering eats more and different bullets with less issue. It even eats different length brass.

Sure, lots of people have remarked their 357s are 38s, but no one has remarked their 40 is one....

I will conclude the 40 is the modern day version of the 38-40, which isnt a bad thing.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HawkI
Depends primarily on the bullets over speed, noise, racket and recoil. Posting muzzle velocities of handgun rounds and boasting "power" sure looks conclusive, but its also pretty misleading.

The wheelgun chambering eats more and different bullets with less issue. It even eats different length brass.

Sure, lots of people have remarked their 357s are 38s, but no one has remarked their 40 is one....

I will conclude the 40 is the modern day version of the 38-40, which isnt a bad thing.

That's a good assessment. It's a very versatile cartridge.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-40-sw-your-tax-dollars-at-work/

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Henryseale
I have and like both revolvers and semi-autos. For most any realistic self-defense scenario a 5 or 6 shot revolver is more than adequate. However, if I am expecting to go to war and potentially fight off massed Banzai charges, by all means give me a large capacity semi-auto with multiple extra mags.

I load my own ammo and about the hottest safe 9mm ammo I can come up with is about equal to good .38 Special loads. Think a 7 or 8 shot .45 ACP M-1911 has good stopping power? I agree that it does. However, my .44 Special +P loads in a 5 or 6 shot revolver are much better. Actually, I have lately been looking at maybe loading up some .44 Russian loads (just a shorter version of .44 Spl, which is a shorter .44 Mag.) that appear to be about equal to a .45 ACP. So, I can take my .44 Mag and safely load it for "T-Rex" magnum stopping power loads, deer and elk size magnum loads, anti-personnel and deer & hog sized +P special loads, or special and Russian loads for varmints, target, and anti-personnel use. I cannot find that versatility in any semi-auto.

Both revolvers and semi-autos have pros and cons. With semis you can get higher capacities and can reload faster. Good for Banzai charges and spray and pray shooting. With revolvers you have less capacity, slower reloading, and much better ammo power versatility. I think the most important thing with either one of them is to be able to actually hit as many targets as your are likely to encounter accurately with enough power to do the job.

Very enterestinng the 45acp vs .44 Special & Russian. Not too long ago Brian Pearce did a loading marathon on the .45 Auto Rim. Some impressive loads with old and new .45 AR revolvers. Bro n law has a newer model .45 AR revolver with 5" barrel and the article gave me quite the case of lust. Don't recall the Model number maybe someone can fill in the blank. Brings to mind the suitability for a woods gun. I'm pretty sure a 270gr hard cast at 800+ would be sufficient for anything up to 8" Black Locust.

Last edited by shootem; 05/26/20.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
The 45 Schofield often gets forgotten in the 45 caliber lineage and works well in the Ruger as opposed to the 45 autos with moons as a "45 Special".

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Waders

I fully expected to come home from work and find some .40's wrapped in feathers..or at least some sort of photographic retort from the .40 gang.

Hmmph.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jmd025
Originally Posted by Waders

Hmmph.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Excellent! You're in the lead for the .40 crowd so far. I like the pod things, that's a nice touch. grin

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jmd025,

Wow, that's perfect. smile Well done! (Nice gun, BTW! And, you're a good dude for posting that!)

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
357 mag was a great man stopper for its time. By the late 80s and early 90s semi autos became the modern era fighting guns, the wonder nines with more capacity made there appearance. The semi automatic became more reliable which was a concern at the time. This became the new standard. Revolvers and cartridges commonly used declined. Never cared for 357. Mag but it was a great cartridge!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It still is (.357 Magnum) a great cartridge!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
People tend to take this business of what kind and caliber of pistol way too seriously.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

OK, I'll take the challenge. I'll have you know I actually killed a whitetail with my G23 a few years back. One shot kill. Headed back to camp just after dark and there at my turn is a small car with flashers on. Expecting car trouble I slowed and pulled off ahead of him as he stood to the side. Seems the vehicle ahead of him whacked a knot head and there it lay, head swaying, not able to do anything else. Guy would have finished it off he said but didn't have a gun. Didn't even have a knife. Didn't ask about a tire tool but doubt that too. So out comes King Glock to alleviate pain & suffering. 155 gr Silvertip between the eyes at hair burn range. No exit. Little Bitty flopped a bit and it was over. One shot kill. Last I saw was the guy figgering out how to get 50 lbs of veal in his car without spilling blood all over.

But ".40 S&W one shot kill". That's the story.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
282 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,806 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,951
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.