Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by human_pine_tree
There's a wood-stocked 270 Hawkeye at a local gun store that my wife always says is "pretty."

This should be your next rifle because getting your wife squared away will buy you time and budget to get another rifle for yourself. THAT rifle should be a 30-06 because you can get good ammo for it without much hassle. That said, it's not as ubiquitous as some would have you believe.

For years, I believed that you could get decent 30-06 ammo almost anywhere that people hunt, which made the 30-06 a superb (possibly even morally superior) choice for the general-purpose rifle. But on the way to a pig hunt in northern California a few years ago, I stopped at the In-and-Out Market in Palo Cedro, CA, to buy a hunting license. I always check ammo in little roadside stores and this place had easily the weirdest inventory I’ve ever seen in one place, to wit:

1 box of 225 Winchester (never seen this in the wild)
1 box of S&B 5.6x52R (Euro name for the 22 Savage Hi-Power, had to Google it)
6 boxes of fresh Federal 25-06
6-8 boxes of Federal 7x57 Mauser 175 RN
10 boxes of fresh Federal 7mm Winchester Short Magnum
6-8 boxes of fresh Federal 7mm Remington Magnum
6-8 boxes of fresh Federal & Fiocchi 308 Winchester
3 boxes of fresh PPU 303 British
1 box of Hornady 32 Special
2 boxes of Federal 338 Winchester Magnum 250-grain Woodleigh
1 box of 358 Winchester 200-grain PPT
2 boxes of 375 RUM
3 boxes of Hornady 450 Marlin

They had plenty of service pistol ammo, rimfire, 7.62x39, 5.56 NATO, and assorted 12-gauge but only ONE box of 30-06. To add insult to injury, this box was American Eagle 147-grain FMJ. There was not one softpoint 30-06 cartridge for sale in the entire place.

My guide later told me that this place used to have an FFL but gave it up after state laws became too onerous, which explains a lot. As noted, some of the ammo was fresh so that's probably what people use most of the time. The rest must have been NOS. In this area, that makes a certain amount of sense given that you’re probably either shooting pigs inside of 150 yards or blacktail-mule-deer hybrids at fairly long range, but it was still jarring to see the 30-06 so badly under-represented. Seems almost unpatriotic...

So I've revised my stance on the whole “30-06 wins at logistics” thing.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Spot on Shaman. That's why I've been in reduction mode. I'll still have more than I need when I'm finally done. I suppose if I were really taking it to bare minimum, I'd just keep my stainless Ruger 77 MkII .30-06, but I have to have a backup or two or three and I really can't not have any lever guns. That would be blasphemy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shaman
Let me be the wet blanket in this discussion.

Look, don't get me wrong. I WANT a new rifle. Need? That's a whole other thing.

With what you have already, you've got plenty of room to add another to the stable. I'm very partial to 30-06. However, let me give you some advice from a guy who bought his first rifle 40 years ago. There comes a time when you begin to realize there are ongoing costs involved. Besides normal shooting related costs in time, ammo, etc. You've got to clean a rifle every once in awhile, whether you shoot it or not. It takes up space; eventually the back of your closet won't be enough, and you'll have to buy your first safe. Those safes take up room, so eventually, you've got to figure floor space.

Me? I finished off a whole room for firearms and reloading. Now they're spilling back into my bedroom. I had a buddy die last year. His widow got help and it took over a week just to retrieve all the firearms from under beds, in drawers, etc. and get them all stacked in one bedroom. The bedroom was full when I went to look.

I reload, so for each new chambering, I've got dies to go along with the rifle. Then there are the bullets and maybe a different powder. All that costs and needs storage space.

I'm not saying don't buy any more rifles. I'm just saying that at some point the hidden ancillary costs of time and money for a rifle start to add up. I'm to the point where they're just is not enough time in the run-up to deer season to get all of the deer rifles properly sighted in and I'm now having to pick which ones I want to shoot at the whitetails right about now in order to have everything ready by mid-November.

Then I have all the other projects to contend with. There are rifles that I'm working on for accuracy. There are rifles that I need for personal defense. There are rifles just for [bleep]. (Do they have a season on [bleep] in your state?)

Mind you, I don't regret any of this-- at least not yet. The last time I moved, I spent a month getting the new room built and a whole weekend moving the stuff over. The next move, probably the last I'll make, will be a mother.

I've been dinking around with firearms for about 60 years. If I hadn't gone that route I probably would have spent my time/money chasing women. Probably be a syphilitic alcoholic by now. The guns saved me! Thank God for guns.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yap, yap, yap, yap. Don’t over think this.

Get a good 30-06, find a load it likes with TTSXs, Partitions or Accubonds. Lay in a good stock of ammo that it likes (or components if you handload), and hunt for the rest of your life.

You are done.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
GF1 for the win...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by human_pine_tree
So my mind has gone through a number of scenarios and thought about a ton of options, and I'm actually leaning towards a .243 WIN. I can use my 6.5 CM as my primary rifle for elk (I can't help it - I'm a millennial), and the .243 can be a fun gun for my wife to shoot as well as me. We can both have a rifle for coyote hunting. I figure it can fill in even as an elk rifle in a pinch, although that would not be the main purpose.

No think more strategically:
Get another 6.5CM for both You and wife to enjoy together
or
Up size to at least a 30-06.

Last edited by RaySendero; 05/26/20.

Ray
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you ain't got a 280, you ain't got schitt.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn’t buy into any new cartridge without first spending some time at the range with one.
The 30-06 is going to be a much less pleasant rig to use, than your Creedmoor.

I’d find a rifle that will fit your wife and likely new hunting partner in 6.5 CM.
It will suffice as a “back up” rifle (I’ve never needed one)..... and be both pleasant to use and deadly.

My last five or six elk have all been killed very quickly with my 6.5 CM or .260 Rem.
If you really want something different, I would recommend the 7-08 in the same format your using now.

Nothing trumps good Bullet placement....... that comes with practice.
My $.02

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Goodness....alllllll this talk about how great 6.5's and 7mm's are for elk when for 95 years many deemed the 270 marginal. Seems I was right about the 270 all along, it's just fine for elk.

You have a 6.5, get something of larger caliber and it doesn't have to be a magnum. I wouldn't buy an '06 but that's me. Nothing wrong with it but there is, conservatively, approximately 200 cartridges just as good and will do anything and everything the '06 will do. I won't bother mentioning what rifles because our tastes are light years apart.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have to ask, yes, you need another rifle.

Your 6.5 CM is fine for elk at close ranges, say 300-400 yards, but not my first choice for that and not what I would choose for longer ranges. My recommendations would start with a .270 Win or 7mm RM for non-handloaders and would include a .280 Rem for handloaders. 7mm RM is a fine choice and the loads I was shooting two days ago had less recoil than the .30-06 loads I was shooting. A .30-06 is never wrong. Stepping up to a .300WM adds significant recoil and a .338WM adds even more.

I "managed" with a 7mm RM for 20+ years and will be hunting elk with it again this year if all goes as planned. My .280 is planned as the backup, both .loaded with Federal 155g Terminal Ascent if I finalize the loads. Launched at 2900fps, the .280 Rem will deliver 2000fps and 1500fpe to 725 yards, more than double the range of the Federal 6.5CM laod wiht the same bullet. THE 7mm RM will go even further.

Have I ever needed a backup rifle? Yes.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You have a very nice little gun shop just down the road in Belle Fourche...I`d go and see them.
PS, 7mm Mag ammo is every where, and not that expensive.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Your 6.5 CM will work on elk and you will be able to keep a bear from eating you BECAUSE you are much more likely to shoot it well than anything significantly “more powerful”. Before you spend the money, read John Barsness’ article on killing power.
Spend your coin trying to wear out your 6.5, shoot three or four elk with it and then you will realize you have what you need already.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

If your wife wants to hunt then take her with you, carry the 6.5, and hand it to her when she needs it. Maybe she will enjoy shooting and maybe not. Wait and see.

It is pretty easy to get addicted to the idea that nirvana is just a purchase away but that ain’t so.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
You have a very nice little gun shop just down the road in Belle Fourche...I`d go and see them.
PS, 7mm Mag ammo is every where, and not that expensive.

What store is that?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Buckstop Sports. Had a nice selection of new, used and custom rifles when I stopped. Also some reloading components. Been there twice on my way to Wy.
Some of the crew shoot long range stuff in the Hills...might be of interest to you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tikka T3X 30-06. Upgrade stock if inclined, decent scope for your purpose and start out with a used or inexpensive Lee reloading setup. 125 grain to 220 grain bullets, versatile for many target or hunting applications.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 204guy, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,562
Posts18,453,732
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.