Hop To
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
When a woman told a wildlife official she thought she'd seen a wolverine on the beach of Washington state's Long Beach Peninsula they didn't believe her.

The elusive creatures live in remote mountainous areas and any sightings -- let alone on a beach -- are rare, according to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).
Then she showed them a picture. In the May 23 snap, a furry animal with distinctive markings appears to be eating the carcass of a marine animal that washed ashore.
Jeff Lewis, a mesocarnivore conservation biologist with the WDFW, told CNN about the encounter and that he confirmed the animal was indeed a wolverine. There are only around 20 of the mammals in the entire state, according to WDFW. They are usually roaming in the remote mountainous areas of the North Cascades not on the sandy beach.
"This is way outside the beaten path for the wolverines," Lewis said. "It's not near the habitats they are usually at."
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The mysterious wolverine is the largest terrestrial member of the weasel family and it can resemble a small bear with a bushy tail. The animal is stocky with short, rounded ears, small eyes, and large feet that are useful for traveling through snow, according to WDFW.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Large feet useful for traveling through snow"

or sand perhaps?

Cool sighting, and rotting marine mammal smell travels a long way. Would be interesting to know where that critter came from and is going to.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Go Blue

GOD Bless America
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nope, she's crazy. That's a dog.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
woof

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Lennie

The mysterious wolverine is the largest terrestrial member of the weasel family!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

I rest my case Al, and Quak!!!!!!!!!

Go Green Go White!!!

Last edited by Whelenman; 05/28/20.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The coastal forests are pretty thick and hide many secrets.

Wolverines are cool and that’s pretty awesome that guy showed up where he wasn’t expected. It’s always good when those science “exspurts” get knocked down a peg or two by being proven wrong.

WDFW is well known for being wrong....they’re so commonly wrong that it’s become normal. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

WDFW is well known for being wrong....they’re so commonly wrong that it’s become normal. 😁

well spoken words of truth. IMHO WDFW training has become the best keystone cop training in the world.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
"Only about 20 in the entire state" I'd love to know how they come up with these numbers.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They come up with their numbers and theories from sitting behind a computer and discussing it over lunch.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Well, at Oregon State U there was a professor that had the bright idea to add a fudge factor in on fish counts. So, the fewer you find the higher the fudge factor is. There's not many so you must not be seeing them so you need to add more numbers to account for there being few.

Most likely there are a 22 wolverines in Washington.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remember the guy from the show Alone that killed the wolverine with an ax after pinning one of its feet to the ground with an arrow.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I saw a pair of Wolverines in Colorado in 2016. Checked the DNR website which claimed there Were only 6 known to be in the state.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
The coastal forests are pretty thick and hide many secrets.

Wolverines are cool and that’s pretty awesome that guy showed up where he wasn’t expected. It’s always good when those science “exspurts” get knocked down a peg or two by being proven wrong.

I'm willing to bet that total of 20 in the state number is hogwash, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I saw a pair of extinct black-footed ferrets in ND before NG re-invented them in WY 10 years later, and a sow griz with cubs in Northern ID when there were none in the state....

I saw a 5 1/2 lb rainbow jumping onto land to snatch skylined voles in SW Alaska. Caught her and ate her, too, only I got her on a red and white spoon dabbed into a hole in the drowned willow. She had so many voles in her, the last one had it's tail hanging out the corner if her mouth yet, another in her gullet, and she was so full she put up virtually no fight.

There were "no cougars in ND", when I came to Alaska, yet 10 years or so later there was a season on them.

There were no wolves in FC Wilderness area before re-introduction, yet my brother and his hunting partner watched a pack of 5 for nearly an hour 5 years earlier.

Once the DNA hair sample study was made, there were twice as many brown bears on the Kenai Peninsula - which we all knew, including the biologists, but without hard science, they had to lfudge their numbers to avoid getting locked into court baddles by the greenies.

Unless that "20" is backed by hard science, it is simply a WAG- and I'm betting (if no science) the numbers are at least doube.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by cra1948
"Only about 20 in the entire state" I'd love to know how they come up with these numbers.

Well afterall, 6,743 have succumbed to the Covid19 virus since March 1st.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Remember the guy from the show Alone that killed the wolverine with an ax after pinning one of its feet to the ground with an arrow.

Which episode was that I thought I watched them all, but I don’t remember that one

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A wolverine can kick a honey badger’s a$$.

Just saying...

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by cra1948

Because they put them there

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,612
Posts18,454,920
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.