Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey y'all.

Retired and broke now, but Happy. No more getting up at 3am and long hours. Usta be a Maintenance team leader of 26 techs on the daylight shift in the automotive field, tier 1 suppliers. When I started there in 89 we had 2 small glue robots. When I left last year they had over 100 spot welding and material handling robots. I don't miss those at all. Well maybe a bit. They were fun to work on.

stay well

Last edited by Shortgrub; 05/28/20.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
OT a little bit maybe, but reading to what each of us did for work all those years made me think of the old adage, "When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail". I know while I'm driving around I see work for my machinery. I tend to end up buying places that need work like that too! You guys do the same thing or am I weird?

LOL
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am 62, I work seasonally in HVAC these days, hope to work a couple of Elk/ sheep hunts this fall for local outfitters. I also shoe horses and keep livestock myself.
No intention of quitting any of it. Helps me keep a good figure, keep on going

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pizzeria / Restaurant business. Been doing it for close to 40 years.Opened my own when I was 27. Still here . Partners in another location also.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Fireball2, never once since I retired have driven by a machine tool shop and thought "I bet I could straighten out their accounting problems"! I do have a recurring dream of telling our president I'm retiring tomorrow.

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
started out as farm hand 11 or 12, then slaughter house butcher shop, night janitor at ski area, grade foreman on the interstate highway, auto mechanic, ski area mechanic, master mechanic at electric company, certified welder, back to electric company journeyman lineman. Couldn't put up with useless union workers started my own business. Crane service tree removal and now work for utility company that I quit from. Also Loggah and vegetable farmer ready to retire. Jack of all trades master of none!! And one hell of a gun collection next to Loggah ad FUG.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage99358
Pizzeria / Restaurant business. Been doing it for close to 40 years.Opened my own when I was 27. Still here . Partners in another location also.

I met a guy once that sounds like you. I still need a garlic cream sauce recipe for my basil and bacon pizza...

Me? Started out in the glass trade doing commercial installations, went union in Toronto and worked on some major projects, ruining my right arm in the process working like a fool chasing the carrot of "unlimited overtime."

Convinced the powers that be that I was a candidate for re-education and completed a university degree at 54 years of age. Now I am part-time in an office that supports injured workers who find themselves in the mess I once got myself into. Funny how some things come full circle.

Best things in life are being in the field with my other "boy" Jack:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And being an old Savage.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

For those of you that haven't been paying attention Mike has had some beautiful collectable rifles for sale recently.

I'm waiting for Jed's F's....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ski area mechanic? So lift mechaniic?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I spend all day chasing down firearms here that need a little tinkering with, for a certain member here. He appreciates my efforts enough that he has given me a special name.

Keeps me busy......😉😎

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Journeyman Lineworker for 29 years for the Local Rural Electric Coop..... before that I was a farmhand from 13 to 21

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Grew up with father running potato farm and living off the land in northern Wisconsin. Learned a lot. Got lucky as graduated college on a Saturday and following Monday started 34 year career with Wisconsin Dept. Natural Resources in wildlife management, then research and then back to wildlife management. Great work with a lot of dedicated, enthusiastic people. Of course politics tossed in a few bumps along the way. Been retired 8 years. Have federal bird banding permit so stay busy with volunteer educational programs. And keeping old tractors and 1960 jeep running. And taking care of 40 to 80 bird flock of heritage chickens depending on season.

Bruce
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by olgrouser

I met a guy once that sounds like you. I still need a garlic cream sauce recipe for my basil and bacon pizza...

Me? Started out in the glass trade doing commercial installations, went union in Toronto and worked on some major projects, ruining my right arm in the process working like a fool chasing the carrot of "unlimited overtime."

Convinced the powers that be that I was a candidate for re-education and completed a university degree at 54 years of age. Now I am part-time in an office that supports injured workers who find themselves in the mess I once got myself into. Funny how some things come full circle.

Best things in life are being in the field with my other "boy" Jack:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And being an old Savage.

I want to hear more about Jack!!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bigolddave
Fireball2, never once since I retired have driven by a machine tool shop and thought "I bet I could straighten out their accounting problems"! I do have a recurring dream of telling our president I'm retiring tomorrow.

Yeah, that would be weird.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Glad I'm not a Minneapolis cop right now.

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yep
Same guy . Met you at Fest , Jeds wedding.
Was a great time with a great bunch of guys.
I think you shot my 338 federal 99 that I purchased from Wild West guns in Alaska.The lobsters and lobster rolls that Fug made where delicious.Would be great to get together again at a Fest and talk 99’s.Learned a lot from the guys there. Me , Rory,Steve,John ,Mike And another gentleman shared a cabin on lake .
Great time.
Mike

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Haven't laughed that hard since, I don't think...

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

And even though I wasn't feeling too hot, the lobsters were truly amazing!

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Started in construction with my dad when i was 12. He was Old School. Hand saws and chisles . String lines and toenailing studs. Broke from that for a few years and went logging at 16. Spent a few years setting chokers and falling. Chased landing on a few high lead sides in Oregon. did 2 years working in a hospital. Went back to construction for the next 35 or so years with other interest's like LE. and owing and operating a gun shop. Spent the last 10 years before retiring as a property aqusision agent for the largest Senior retirement company in the world. That got me traveling all over the country and europe.
Now i sit and tinker with the place here 30 miles from nowhere!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
OT a little bit maybe, but reading to what each of us did for work all those years made me think of the old adage, "When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail". I know while I'm driving around I see work for my machinery. I tend to end up buying places that need work like that too! You guys do the same thing or am I weird?

1.you can take the boy out of the woods ,but you cant take the woods out of the boy.
2.the feeling of running a piece of machinery is addicting
3. The smell of cut wood is addictive.
4. Any technician of any type sees whatever in his field of expertise that needs fixed when others dont have a clue

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was a pulmonary intensivist M.D. in Appalachia until I retired in 2015....beautiful country between the Smokies and the Appalachians. Never had time to sleep, much less do much hunting, but had some good luck with deer in SW Virginia and loved dove and duck hunting when I could.

I graduated medical school 1968, drafted by Uncle Sam and signed commission papers during my internship in January ‘69. To my surprise they didn’t send me active duty orders (apparently due to cutbacks after Cambodia). I am probably the only living male dumb enough to have filed two sequential Congressional complaints trying to get into the active duty army in that era! DEROS in late ‘73. Went back into specialty/sub-specialty training, finally at age 34 went into practice in late ‘77.

Anyway my 4th attempt to retired finally “took”in early 2015. My wife of 52 years this last May never quite forgave me for taking her to the mountains as she grew up in Virginia Beach, so the deal was we’d move to our condo on Amelia Island, Florida. Both of us now have health issues, so I mostly fo the a pistol range about once a week, shoot skeet or sporting clays twice weekly, clean and fondle my rifles, work on the house and yard, and, of course, do whatever the voices in my wife’s head tell her to tell me to do. She is my first and only love, helpmate, main supporter and I love her dearly because she loves me back.....been lucky all my life!

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 31 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.