Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14918460 05/28/20
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Keep in mind, that I'm an old fart that's been hunting turkeys since they asked "you're hunting what?"! I grew up reading about Dwaine Bland's expoits! I've been using #5 nickle plated lead on turkey for a long, long time. The small size TSS shot I've been reading about almost goes against the grain. I'm not denying peoples success with it, just going to take a little getting used to. I just finished my 20ga project, and keeping with my old school thinking, bought a case of 3" - #5's. But, thankfully, I'm not adverse to learning and am going to pick up some TSS loads and have at it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Just pattern both of them against something stiffer than paper (I use cardboard stapled to plywood) and compare penetration in addition to patterns

In a 20 the pellet count of 5s just isn’t confidence inspiring unless you are really going to limit your range

TSS 9s in your 20 will produce patterns infinitely better than what was considered good (to those who actually patterned) from a 12ga not too long ago.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I like tss 9s. Dense enough patterns a bumblebee couldn't fly through.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Guess I need to look at results and stop thinking about it! LOL! Right now, #9 shot for me is a skeet load, not a turkey load.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
TSS is not necessary unless you cannot get the bird to within 60 yards...

It shines in sub gauges... if you need that handicap.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

TSS is not only for extended ranges but that is a reason for use! The biggest advantage is pattern density! There are 362 per oz of #9's of TSS compared to Lead #5: 173 per oz!. Outside of depleted uranium, osmium or iridium, TSS is the hardest and densest thing going! That hardness, roundness and density allows it to retain energy farther out and has a better pattern. It turns smaller gauges into killing machines! The only draw back to TSS is the cost!

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Side topic...

Im trying TSS in my 20 to see if it works for me...

Do you think it will get cheaper as more companies offer it?

Or will prices stay high for us suckers willing to pay for it?

I ask because copper bullets came out expensive and then some cheaper ones have come out now.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve used varying densities of TSS in factory and hand loads, 3” and 2-3/4, in 20ga for the last 6 or 7 seasons.....exclusively. Federal Heavyweight 6/7, and 18gcc TSS 8s and 9s, mostly. 20ga TSS 9s will hold a better pattern, and hit as hard or harder, than any of my old 12ga 5/6 lead loads. I still have some of my 20ga #5 lead loads, that were for woods/under 30yards, only....but I don’t use them anymore. I just change chokes for thicker cover, if needed. You should have ZERO lethality concerns for a #9 TSS on a turkey head, to maybe 60 yards, or much further. Not saying to shoot them that far, but the pellet will penetrate more than a #5 lead. For turkeys AND coyote shotgunning....it’s about all I use. I haven’t had one leave yet. TSS shot may start going up even more, as I was thinking the material was sourced from China, and processed here?

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 05/30/20.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by humdinger
Side topic...

Im trying TSS in my 20 to see if it works for me...

Do you think it will get cheaper as more companies offer it?

Or will prices stay high for us suckers willing to pay for it?

I ask because copper bullets came out expensive and then some cheaper ones have come out now.

TSS will not get cheaper. It mainly comes from China, for the most part and is a powder that is mixed with other things to create a alloy that is then form into pellets.

IMO, It will not get cheaper! So pucker up!! LOL

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I was hesitant to try 9s because lead nines don't even break clays consistently. I listened to experienced TSS users and tried 9.5s in .410 first. Wow. Tried nines in 20ga. Nuts. You have to use a lot more lead and faster to equal TSS.

Thing is the patterns are so dense and penetration so complete, you don't need individual pellets to carry much smack. Lots of little holes all the way through do more damage than fewer bigger holes, some not all the way through. TSS patterns sieve the bones. The birds go straight down. Might flop some minutes later.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Roll your own if you wanna save a fair bit. If you already have a powder scale, you can be setup to roll crimp hulls pretty cheaply. Buy a bag of hulls and wads and a box of primers and a pound of powder and the shot...some of the factory load prices are pretty crazy.

I shoot it from a flintlock and I can shoot it cheaper than. I was shooting Magnum Blend in my 12ga.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Bass Pro shows 20 gauge 3" #9 TSS on sale for $15 a box, and they show it as in stock. Tried multiple times online to buy it with no success. Called their order number and finally hung up after being on hold for more than a half hour. Did I mention I really dislike big box stores!

NRA life member

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Bass Pro shows 20 gauge 3" #9 TSS on sale for $15 a box, and they show it as in stock. Tried multiple times online to buy it with no success. Called their order number and finally hung up after being on hold for more than a half hour. Did I mention I really dislike big box stores!

Been that way for a couple weeks. Aggravating

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Absolutely. I had a Tom I had lasered at 43 yards and shot because he was hung up. He was standing broadside at the shot. Upon cleaning, there were a couple of errant #9s that had entered his chest, after going through his wing bones. I went to make sure I got them out before eating, and discovered they were complete pass throughs, breast bone, wing bones and all. I’ll second that they generally just lay down or disappear it’s over so fast, and they’ll start kicking and do some flops in the next few minutes. It’s a bit different than a lot of my lead kills back in the day, where they flopped around immediately on the shot. I hadn’t really thought about it until it was mentioned. Kind of a head scratcher.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
according to the guy on the customer service line at BPS, they are all out of the TSS shells

but, they are still shown "IN STOCK" on their website.

oh well.....

TSS is the schnizzit for killing turkeys.

burt2506

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by burt2506
according to the guy on the customer service line at BPS, they are all out of the TSS shells

but, they are still shown "IN STOCK" on their website.

oh well.....

TSS is the schnizzit for killing turkeys.

burt2506

Bass Pro is well known for this ..

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Longbeard XR is an incredible lead load, but this tss is absolutely amazing! I’m shooting 9’s out of my 20 gauge and it’s an absolute hammer. I don’t even want a bird within 40 yards, the pattern is that tight.(IC .555)
I converted 2 of my buddies to 20 gauges now.

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The couple shots you take a year at a turkey and a couple patterning is the cheapest part of your hunt if you factor gas and time.
I’ve got enough to last a few more years

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've always said that about ammo... cheapest part of the hunt!

NRA life member

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wish this stuff was cheap enough that I would use it for beaver eradication

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (12308300, 16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 79 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.