Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Killed this copperhead last night when I took the dogs out.

Bailey jumped back as soon as she saw it. Good dog, Bailey! smile

Both dogs are snake trained. It's just good to know they still pay heed.

As a side note, I carried it to the fish pond this morning, and threw it in. It floated for about 15 seconds, and then Wham! It was gone.

Pretty good size snake for a fish. But there's some pretty big fish in my pond. wink

Damn, Barry. Glad your dogs are trained. That could have been a bad night, indeed.

Cool story on the fish pond.

Bandit got copperhead bitten on the side of the face when he was a pup. He was too young to learn the training. Now he won't even get close when I say "Snake!" grin

I don't have any rattlers here, but some ranches I shred do. I always kill them too.

This was a big boy. About 6'.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
One of my younger brothers just killed a timer rattler. I killed one a week ago both about 3 ft. Me a .38 shot shell, him, a Stihl.

Not a fan of killing just for the sake of killing. Were the snakes a threat to you? Were they a threat to anyone else? Or did you just kill them for the sake of killing them so you can post here like a "big" man? I just looked up timber rattlers in KY. This is what I found:

"Timber Rattlesnakes are a true sign of wilderness. In Kentucky, these secretive and nonaggressive animals most frequently occur in areas with low human population densities. Because of their rarity, Timber Rattlesnakes are considered a “Species of Greatest Conservation Need” by Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources."

Somehow I don't think a KY game warden would be thrilled with you admitting that your family killed two of them.

Come on up here, spend a summer logging on one of our
little mountains.

First thing in the morning, you need to check the oil in the
equipment. Just walk on over there. Through the busted up bark
and snaggs. Don't worry about what might be in there.
Just reach in that engine bay, grab that dipstick. Something
might grab you back.

After you have spent some time thinking about almost every move you
make, and how you make it, sometime, you will start killing them.

A friend couldn't let his garage door up if it was warm out.
Especially in the spring, fall, or at night. Timber rattlers
would come in. He killed them.

Imagine working around your house, and being concerned about every
step, looking all around everything you wanted to pick up.

If they aren't near people, I'm glad they are there.
Otherwise, I get rid of them.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Snakes that startle me/you aside.

Dangerous, poisonous snakes to me are like the person that threatens you, or tries to kill you or yours. You may avoid it or stop it. But it will/can re-occur. It may be, or is, just the snakes way, same as a villain. Same as a psychopath. There are many, but eliminating one at a time is a start.

A scene in open range where Kevin Costner is going to kill a wounded aggressor as he(Costner) refused to look over his shoulder the rest of his life for repercussions from the aggressor. Now, a poisonous snake does not seek revenge, but left in place it is still a danger plain & simple. Failure to realize this will eventually..........Get you bit.

Kindly remove it from your yard? It comes back later & bites a young child, even you. Not good. The snake does not recognize getting a pass.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunzo
Snakes that startle me/you aside.

Dangerous, poisonous snakes to me are like the person or dog that threatens you, or tries to kill you or yours. You may avoid it or stop it. But it will/can re-occur. It may be, or is, just the snakes way, same as a villain. Same as a psychopath. There are many, but eliminating one at a time is a start.

A scene in open range where Kevin Costner is going to kill a wounded aggressor as he(Costner) refused to look over his shoulder the rest of his life for repercussions from the aggressor. Now, a poisonous snake does not seek revenge, but left in place it is still a danger plain & simple. Failure to realize this will eventually..........Get you bit.

Kindly remove it from your yard? It comes back later & bites a young child, even you. Not good. The snake does not recognize getting a pass.

Added a bit.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of folks have a lot of fears

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have no use for a buzz worm!! Kill them all!

Last edited by Sbrown; 05/28/20.

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Ol boy must have dropped that Stihl on that rattler. Surely it wasn't running when he killed it! laugh

Snakes don't run

Stihls do.

That's debatable. Husky!

DANG it !!!!!!!!!!!

You beat me to it !!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

doctor livestock and pets all the time. and lost a good pup 2 years ago. day before yesterday had to take this one to the vet, fangs were an inch apart and she was in bad shape.
doc said it was a big one. said if she is alive in the morning she will make it.

i carry a 22 mag all summer with the first 2 up shot shells. no fangs and they can party in the barn for all i care.

any of you snake lovers want to pay the vet bill?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rattlesnakes don’t get a pass here at the Ranch. They get a massive dose of 12 gauge.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/28/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MAC
One of my younger brothers just killed a timer rattler. I killed one a week ago both about 3 ft. Me a .38 shot shell, him, a Stihl.

Not a fan of killing just for the sake of killing. Were the snakes a threat to you? Were they a threat to anyone else? Or did you just kill them for the sake of killing them so you can post here like a "big" man? I just looked up timber rattlers in KY. This is what I found:

"Timber Rattlesnakes are a true sign of wilderness. In Kentucky, these secretive and nonaggressive animals most frequently occur in areas with low human population densities. Because of their rarity, Timber Rattlesnakes are considered a “Species of Greatest Conservation Need” by Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources."

Somehow I don't think a KY game warden would be thrilled with you admitting that your family killed two of them.

I wonder if these folks would agree with you.
Toddler killed by rattlesnake

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rayporter

doctor livestock and pets all the time. and lost a good pup 2 years ago. day before yesterday had to take this one to the vet, fangs were an inch apart and she was in bad shape.
doc said it was a big one. said if she is alive in the morning she will make it.

i carry a 22 mag all summer with the first 2 up shot shells. no fangs and they can party in the barn for all i care.

any of you snake lovers want to pay the vet bill?

I hope your dog turns out alright.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Usually there isn't any doubt what about happens to rattlesnakes around here, but I'm not sure what happened to this little guy. I think I stepped on him crossing a gravel parking lot. This was near Raton, New Mexico several years ago. I walked back to my truck in a path I had just taken a few minutes before and there he was all dead and limp. There had been no car or truck traffic in a while. I don't have any idea what kind of rattlesnake it is. Maybe some of you guys that live out in those parts can identify him.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Harry
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mathsr

Usually there isn't any doubt what about happens to rattlesnakes around here, but I'm not sure what happened to this little guy. I think I stepped on him crossing a gravel parking lot. This was near Raton, New Mexico several years ago. I walked back to my truck in a path I had just taken a few minutes before and there he was all dead and limp. There had been no car or truck traffic in a while. I don't have any idea what kind of rattlesnake it is. Maybe some of you guys that live out in those parts can identify him.

Looks like a Massasauga, we caught a lot of WDB in the Midland/Odessa area but only one Massasauga in 7 years of hunting.

Last edited by RDW; 05/28/20.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Old ppl say,

See one rattle snake, they’ll be another later.

I’ve seen that. Kill one. Day or so later. Another one will be moving thru within feet of that one.

Guess it mating.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Also,

My dad has a rescue dog. Part lab. Part something. Dog was beat when puppy. Shy around ppl still. Lets the gyp take his food.

He’ll go crazy over s snake. Points it out.

See Max acting a certain way. It’s a snake.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MAC

I like rattlers which are dead.

You ever kill a mosquito just for the pure D hell, thrill, and fun of it.

There is more thrill in killing a rattler, shark or gator gar.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Rattlesnakes don’t get a pass here at the Ranch. They get a massive dose of 12 gauge.

I missed the Rattlesnake Koolaid Class in 4th grade and have seen what one can do to to a good coon, bird, or cow dog.

Old rancher told me if it dont bite you one of its kids will.

He had more close calls than you have fingers and a big divot hole in his shoulder.
Originally Posted by Mathsr

Prairie rattler markings. Those I step on by accident and then stomp on purpose usually wiggle around quite a while. Roaches dont.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by jimone
Should of relocated to local Pandemocat HQ.

Hehehe.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I missed the Rattlesnake Koolaid Class in 4th grade and have seen what one can do to to a good coon, bird, or cow dog.

Old rancher told me if it dont bite you one of its kids will.

He had more close calls than you have fingers and a big divot hole in his shoulder.

GrandDad’s little sister was killed by a Rattlesnake snake when she was 5. Bit her right in the Jugular vain. Died withun a few minutes. He was 7 at the time.
He’d stop the pickup or tractor wherever he was and go out of his way to kill one.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/28/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Rattlers still rattle?

While back. Heard one in the woods. That’s how,loud it was in dry leaves.

Big. Wish still had a pic.

Never rattled.

Dave

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,129
Posts18,464,664
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.