Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
As a kid I wanted one, I think mostly because of the ads. When Ruger brought out their 10-22, I bought one for $49. Never had the desire for a Nylon 66 again.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had one in 1969, sold it in 2007 for $165, new price was $59.00.

Must of shot it >10 000 rounds.

It came through the mail in a wooden crate with a block with a hole in it.

Accuracy was as good or better than similar 22 autos at the time.

Slow to load the 14 rounds through the butt stock.

No reliability issues at all.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by doubletap
As a kid I wanted one, I think mostly because of the ads. When Ruger brought out their 10-22, I bought one for $49. Never had the desire for a Nylon 66 again.

I still shoot my 10-22’s. The 66 stays in its rack.

My brother has my old Marlin 60. It’s so old it has a real walnut stock. I did some rosewood inlays and checkered it. It’s more accurate than the 66, more accurate than a std out of the box 10-22. My aftermarket equipped 10-22’s will take them all on at the range.

I had a T/C Classic which was accurate, but the design didn’t seem to protect the fire control parts from powder residue. The 10-22 is designed so that the fire control unit is somewhat isolated from powder and residue blowback. The T/C went down the road, although I liked the stock, trigger and accuracy.

DF

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had one of the lever action ones for a while. It shared all of the flimsiness and poor accuracy characteristics of the autoloaders. I think I gave $25 for it in a grocery bag, someone had disassembled it and couldn’t get it back together. I put it together and shot it a little bit then got $500 worth of trade value on it in a package deal I was working for an old S&W.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I am a lefty and the one I owned did not last long before I got rid of it. No rimfire has powder burned my face as bad as the Nylon 66 did. I developed a flinch from expecting to get hot powder in the face. Good riddance.

Ditto, also a lefty shooter, main reason I got rid of mine.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Heck of a gun for rats at the dump with head lights at night.

We’d turn off the lights to reload, give the rays a minute to regroup. Hit the lights and the carnage resumed.

A brick of ammo goes pretty fast like that. Rat body count, extremely high.

Those were the days.

DF

>> i miss those old days shoot`n rats at the dump with my Remington nylon 66, if we cleand up the yard good dad would take us down shootin rats. then when i got my driver`s license i went to the dump with friends and that sure was fun ! seems like we never ran out of rats to shoot only ran out of ammo, but my uncle worked at Federal Cartridge so on all fridays i got more ammo from my uncle lots of 22 L.R. seconds in a big white box.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TheKid
I had one of the lever action ones for a while. It shared all of the flimsiness and poor accuracy characteristics of the autoloaders. I think I gave $25 for it in a grocery bag, someone had disassembled it and couldn’t get it back together. I put it together and shot it a little bit then got $500 worth of trade value on it in a package deal I was working for an old S&W.

Those in good shape can bring a premium.

I’ve never seen or handled one. Seems they are pretty rare.

DF

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Several years back I knew a guy who bought a used 66 and took it completely apart and lost the sheet metal receiver. He tried to find a replacement and had a heck of time, he said the heck with it and bought another 66 in better condition. After looking at the one he took apart I decided that they werent meant to be taken apart.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I took my my 66's completely apart for deep cleaning more than once. Didn't find them terribly difficult to reassemble.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I always liked the 77 better (66 but with a clip instead of loading through the butt-tube). I have owned at least a half-dozen of em through the years and always found them accurate enough for gopher shooting. The key to accuracy seemed to be no more difficult than keeping the receiver cover screws snug.
For me the biggest appeal was that every one I owned was totally reliable and they were at least easily as accurate as any 10/22 I have owned and better handling. To my sorrow I do not own one now having sold my last one a few years ago and won't pay the price they are selling for now.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I got mine back in 1973, still have it, mines killed a pickup truck full of small game! I shoot lefty too but its always had a scope on it and it never bothered me shooting it! I always thought it to be Accurate, its a tube fed thru the Butt stock. showing some wear after all these years! but still shoots great!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have 2. Both of them I had nothing to do with their acquisition. Both of them sit in the safe. I cannot get rid of either one.

#1 is the classic 66. My first wife, Satan's, father bought it when she was a kid. He died shortly thereafter. It is now the rightful property of son #2, but I have not seen him shoot it much.

#2 is the variant with the removable mag. It came to me from KYHillChick's adopted father who died of cancer in '06. It now belongs to son #3.

Two quick Nylon 66 anecdotes.

1) The last chick I dated was a neurotic Jewish librarian. She decided she wanted to try shooting and wanted to own her own. Our mutual friend, Jerry, found her a Nylon 66. After a few trips to the range, the thing started jamming. She blamed me, she blamed Jerry. Jerry offered to buy it back. I offered to drive her to the gunsmith. No, she just wanted something to whine about. It wasn't long after this that I dropped her. She contacted me a few years ago. Surprisingly, she still had the rifle, and was still shooting it.

2) I used to belong to the big local gun club, Fairfield Sportsmens Association. Fairfield has a plinking range. I was out one Sunday, and a family showed up with a bunch of kids and stack of Nylon 66 rifles. This looked like a regular thing for this family. They pretty well took over the plinking range-- Dads and Grandads, and a slew of rugrats. Someone had this figured out right. I was mightily impressed.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
As a kid, Sundays were spent at my grandparents and there was usually a lot of shooting from the back door of the garage, and usually with a Nylon 66 that belonged to my uncle.
We all took turns with it for hours (there was a waiting line) and burned a lot of ammo.
That one was accurate enough for empty shotgun shells at 35 yards (open sights), and never jammed or misfed.
We all had a LOT of fun with that rifle. Thats why people overpay for them - they remember all the fun they had with theirs.

The only thing I did'nt like about them was the butt feed. I had a bad habit of putting the muzzle on the tip of my sneaker while I loaded it. Sure, I scrunched up my toes but it was dumb and I haven't done it since I was a kid. Somewhere out there is a guy with 9 toes who did the same thing I did but paid for it.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had one when I was 14 and thought it was a great rifle. Back then - the early-mid 60's - it was still pretty revolutionary, an all plastic firearm that was billed as nigh indestructible as well as reliable with those ads showing the stack of 100,000 blocks of wood shot by one.

Mine was entirely adequate for what I needed, a tin can and rabbit shooter, which is what most everybody did with .22 rifles - plink and hunt small game. Folks (meaning like 98% of shooters, not the tiny percentage of nascent benchresters) didn't bench rest everything under the sun and didn't obsess over tenths of an inch differences in groups, particularly for rimfire rifles. A rifle like this was sighted in over the hood of a car or truck and then you shot stuff with it. Even if someone did mount a scope, .22 scopes then were mostly 7/8" tubes and a lot of them didn't even have centered crosshairs.

So, a relatively inexpensive rifle of innovative design that was light, handy, supposedly didn't need any lubrication, and was perfectly adequate for its use. What's not to like?

Now a few decades later, all of us old guys remember the firearms of our youth and if we can't be young again at least we can use something to help remind us of those days

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My first experience with the rifle was in 1963. I had reported for duty @ Walker Air Force Base (Roswell, NM) in April 1963. The first few days was spent in a Transient Barracks getting processed in. A couple of Jokers there wanted to know if I wanted to go hunt Jack Rabbits that night. I said "I guess so", so they told me to go to a store near the exit to the base & buy a brick of Remington .22 ammo. I did & that night we got into a 1050 Chevy coupe & went a half mile or so off base & started driving in the dessert. Turns out this was a "high cycle" for jacks & they were plentiful !! One guy drove (never me) & two of us rode on the front fenders & shot at Jacks as we jumped them. One Nylon 66 ran without fault, & the other was troublesome!! WE would have been better served with Hollowpoints, but we did OK. Fron time to time we'd have a flat & like a Nascar "pit crew", a wheel would be replaced from a trunk full of mounted spares. We kept count & when we reached 38 killed jacks TROUBLE ARRIVED. !!!! Turns out we were shooting very close to the B-52 ALERT AREA. I was new to the area & had no idea we were still close to the base. We were chased by Blue Air Force pickups for a few minutes but we made our get away !!!! I never tried night hunting jacks again. I never see a Nylon 66, or 77, or the other Models without remembering that night...

"not too grumpy"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dad gave me and my brother nylons when kmart sold them out at $50 after remington dropped the model.
Mine was defective magaine lach so eventually I sold it and got a marlin 39A

A few yeard back of found a rattly apache black on the used rack in scheels for $100 and took a chance.
No issues, but I sold it when the cult buying prices demanded $250 and I sold mine for $350. I got the impulse to thin the collection and figured the plastic gun may disintegrate someday.

In hindsight, I wish I kept it. It was a good pinker that gave me more satisfaction than my 1022's.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My son paid one of his buds $35 for one a few years ago. It lacked a front sight; I found him one.

I've had one for many years, great rifle. Shot rats at the city dump back in the '70's when no one seemed to mind. Try that now.... blush

DF

If we could still shoot rats at the dump, the world would be a happier place.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by johnn
My son paid one of his buds $35 for one a few years ago. It lacked a front sight; I found him one.

I've had one for many years, great rifle. Shot rats at the city dump back in the '70's when no one seemed to mind. Try that now.... blush

DF

If we could still shoot rats at the dump, the world would be a happier place.

No doubt.

Those were good times.

DF

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Got one for Christmas when I was like 14. Had it up until 2001 and lost it in a divorce. I agree with who ever said never take it apart. I tried to take it apart and the barrel went flying across the room. It took me all day to get it back together and I had a shim that fit under the barrel left over. I didn't have the heart to take it back apart. It never was a bench rest gun but after that it was even less accurate. The good thing about it was the weather didn't hurt it much. But though it was cool it was never accurate.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
After looking at the one he took apart I decided that they werent meant to be taken apart.

I went to work with a gunsmith my first couple years in college, and he wouldn't work on them...only way he would take them in was if I worked on them. First one I ever touched came in disassembled with most of the parts in a shoe box, took me the better part of a couple hours. I remember it required some specialized tools the smith had fabricated, and was an absolute PITA. I ended up working on several, but never took another one apart after I left the gunsmith.

I still have a couple of the CBC/FIE copies.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
467 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.