Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Luckily most of my work area doesnt have timber rattlers, although the lower section of my area does as well as cottonmouths. I hate this time of year when we get a call about a failed pipe or problem with a bridge. The rains we've been having has caused a bunch of such issues and today as I stepped off the asphalt to walk down a slope a damn banded snake of some sort took off a couple feet in front of me. I'm thinking it was a banded water snake as most copperhead I have seen were not this fast and will try to lay low and hide. That was the last stop for the day for me...made the 4th snake I saw. They are out and about now.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by JeffA
A lot of folks have a lot of fears

I dont fear rattlers. I kill them. I dont fear flies or mosquitoes either.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
The story concerns a farmer who finds a viper freezing in the snow. Taking pity on it, he picks it up and places it within his coat. The viper, revived by the warmth, bites his rescuer, who dies realizing that it is his own fault. The story is recorded in both Greek and Latin sources. In the former, the farmer dies reproaching himself "for pitying a scoundrel," while in the version by Phaedrus the snake says that he bit his benefactor "to teach the lesson not to expect a reward from the wicked." The latter sentiment is made the moral in Medieval versions of the fable. Odo of Cheriton's snake answers the farmer's demand for an explanation with a counter-question, "Did you not know that there is enmity and natural antipathy between your kind and mine? Did you not know that a serpent in the bosom, a mouse in a bag and fire in a barn give their hosts an ill reward?"[2] In modern times the fable has been applied in the religious sphere to teach that if one participates in unrighteous activities one is not immune to harm.[3]

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
I don’t kill them anymore. I move them if they are around my house.

i don't kill them anymore either... just till they are dead..... graveyard dead.
i am thankful we don't have them here. we do have garter snakes and they still make me qualify for the high jump Olympics when i stumble on one. saw one baking in the sun today. close to 3 foot. almost went for my 410.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mathsr

Usually there isn't any doubt what about happens to rattlesnakes around here, but I'm not sure what happened to this little guy. I think I stepped on him crossing a gravel parking lot. This was near Raton, New Mexico several years ago. I walked back to my truck in a path I had just taken a few minutes before and there he was all dead and limp. There had been no car or truck traffic in a while. I don't have any idea what kind of rattlesnake it is. Maybe some of you guys that live out in those parts can identify him.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That little SOB looks like the one I saw on the road the other night. I hopped out to take a look at him and as soon as I was close enough to see he was a rattler, probably 6’ away, he struck at me and hightailed it into the Johnson grass. I never even had a chance to shoot his head off.

I did shoot a little diamondback last Sunday evening out at the ranch. He wasn’t acting mean but was too close to the cabin where we picnic every Sunday. My grandparents are hard of hearing and my 4 year old son is always playing around there, no place for venomous snakes.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
old saying that applies to me -

There's only 4 kinds of snakes I am scared of - Big ones and litle ones and Live ones and dead ones.

I have been scared of snakes all my life and have tried to kill everyone I see..

I was down in NM this spring out in the desert doing some shooting, the area where I standing was clear of underbrush or any cover whatsoever, my friend says I hear something odd behind us, I looked around and there was a 4 ft rattler about 6 ft away and he was heading towards us with mouth open and rattles going. Needless to say that is where he stayed. I have no idea why he was on the prod we had not been anywhere close to where he came from - maybe he was challenging us for occupation of his territory, well it is his forever now. I had my 8 shot Sig 1911-22 and he ate every one of those hollowpoints.

dover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
mouth open you say.... lmao

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
mouth open you say.... lmao

Yeah, this stuff is GREAT!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,017 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.