Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut’s policy allowing transgender girls to compete as girls in high school sports violates the civil rights of athletes who have always identified as female, the U.S. Education Department has determined in a decision that could force the state to change course to keep federal funding and influence others to do the same.

A letter from the department’s civil rights office, a copy of which was obtained Thursday by The Associated Press, came in response to a complaint filed last year by several cisgender female track athletes who argued that two transgender female runners had an unfair physical advantage.

The office said in the 45-page letter that it may seek to withhold federal funding over the policy, which allows athletes to participate under the gender with which they identify. The policy is a violation of Title IX, the federal civil rights law that guarantees equal education opportunities for women, including in athletics, the office said.

It has “denied female student-athletes athletic benefits and opportunities, including advancing to the finals in events, higher level competitions, awards, medals, recognition, and the possibility of greater visibility to colleges and other benefits,” according to the letter, which is dated May 15.

The Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference says its policy complies with a state law barring schools from discriminating against transgender students.

“Connecticut law is clear and students who identify as female are to be recognized as female for all purposes — including high school sports,” the athletic conference said in a statement. “To do otherwise would not only be discriminatory but would deprive high school students of the meaningful opportunity to participate in educational activities, including inter-scholastic sports, based on sex-stereotyping and prejudice sought to be prevented by Title IX and Connecticut state law.”

The federal decision carries implications beyond Connecticut, said Roger Brooks, an attorney for the Alliance Defending Freedom, which represents the girls who brought the complaint.

“Around the nation, districts are going to want to be reading this, because it does have legal implications,” he said. “It is a first decision from the agency charged with enforcing Title IX addressing the question of whether males on the playing field or on the track are depriving girls of opportunities consistent with Title IX.”

The decision by the civil rights office names the conference, along with the school districts for which the transgender runners and those filing the complaint competed — Glastonbury, Bloomfield, Hartford, Cromwell, Canton and Danbury.

The office said it will “either initiate administrative proceedings to suspend, terminate, or refuse to grant or continue and defer financial assistance” to the conference and those districts or refer the cases to the U.S. Department of Justice.

In its letter, the civil rights office said that it notified the athletic conference and the school districts of its pending decision in February, but that later negotiations failed to result in an agreement.

“All that today’s finding represents is yet another attack from the Trump administration on transgender students,” said Chase Strangio, who leads transgender justice initiatives for the American Civil Liberties Union’s LGBT and HIV Project.

“Trans students belong in our schools, including on sports teams, and we aren’t backing down from this fight,” Strangio said.

The dispute, already the subject of a federal lawsuit, centers on two transgender sprinters, Terry Miller and Andraya Yearwood, who have frequently outperformed their competitors, winning a combined 15 girls state indoor or outdoor championship races since 2017, according to the lawsuit.

The ACLU’s lawyers for the transgender athletes have argued both are undergoing hormone treatments that have put them on an equal footing with the girls they are competing against.

Brooks said he hopes the judge in the lawsuit will take the Education Department decision into consideration.

One of the plaintiffs, Chelsea Mitchell, won two state indoor title races over Miller this year.

Mitchell, a senior, said Thursday that she is both happy and relieved by the Department of Education’s decision.

“It feels like we are finally headed in the right direction, and that we will be able to get justice for the countless girls along with myself that have faced discrimination for years,” she said. “It is liberating to know that my voice, my story, my loss, has been heard; that those championships I lost mean something.”

The plaintiffs sought to block the participation of Miller and Yearwood, both seniors, from spring track meets, which were later canceled because of the COVID-19 pandemic. They were also seeking to erase all records set by the transgender athletes.

Connecticut is one of 18 states, along with Washington, D.C., that allow transgender high school athletes to compete without restrictions, according to Transathlete.com.

Several other states have polices barring the participation of transgender athletes, and Idaho recently became the first to pass a law banning transgender women from competing in women’s sports.

The ACLU and Legal Voice filed a federal lawsuit contending that law violates the U.S. Constitution because it is discriminatory and an invasion of privacy.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

"Identifies as"...my arse, they are either female or they are not female.

Western courts would seriously benefit from tar and feather and some good stout hemp rope.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn straight.

Last year my then 16 year old daughter played against
a couple "Sh-ims" in softball tournaments.

Playing against young men isn't what those girls signed up for.
The risk of injury is a big deal, more so than the unfairness.

Lucky, they played about how you would expect "Girly Men"
to play. I think J could have whipped their ass All 5'6" 110# of her.

Now, if you were a young man that was pretty good at ball,
not good enough for Division 1,
had no pride, but strong self confidence...

identifying as a lesbo chick could get you a sweet spot on a
D1 softball team.

Free school,
Playing ball,
Hanging with the team.

Could be ok.

I bet the girl based lesbos would hate you though.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No matter what they identify as, if they still have their junk they're guys and have no place in women 's sports.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by gunswizard
No matter what they identify as, if they still have their junk they're guys and have no place in women 's sports.

The girls should refuse to compete against them!

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's about time someone ended the craziness!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Jeez..........

just grow a set........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Whats the big mystery, if you have a pee pee you compete with the men.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lennie
“Connecticut law is clear and students who identify as female are to be recognized as female for all purposes — including high school sports,” the athletic conference said in a statement. “To do otherwise would not only be discriminatory but would deprive high school students of the meaningful opportunity to participate in educational activities, including inter-scholastic sports, based on sex-stereotyping and prejudice sought to be prevented by Title IX and Connecticut state law.”
This is so insane. If you had no idea what was going on and read this, you'd think CT was the epitome of reasonableness. Then when you found out they didn't mean biological females you'd be dumbfounded.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART
"Identifies as"...my arse, they are either female or they are not female.

Western courts would seriously benefit from tar and feather and some good stout hemp rope.

Your sex is determined by what's between your legs, not what's between your ears.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Problem is they get the junk turned inside out surgically and call themselves girls after growing up as males with the advantage of testosterone.

No one should care what they do to themselves, but allowing them to use an unfair advantage for significant material gain is ridiculous. And they can still run with the gender they were born with if they want to run.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Problem is they get the junk turned inside out surgically and call themselves girls after growing up as males with the advantage of testosterone.

No one should care what they do to themselves, but allowing them to use an unfair advantage for significant material gain is ridiculous. And they can still run with the gender they were born with if they want to run.

Getting your junk cut off really ups the ante.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sorry kids....being mentally ill and mutilating your genitalia, doesn't change your chromosomes from XY to XX.

It's just the way it is.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

"Junk" including a Y chromosome.

XY.....go play with the boys. Use the men's room. Go to the men's prison.

XX....You're a girl.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

XX....You're a girl.

So now you want to marginalize triploids?
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This winter Idaho enacted a law that prevents boys from competing on girls' teams at any state sponsored school from K through college. It's being challenged by the ACLU (no surprise there). Right now, there are 2 girl athletes who have filed suits to get the judge to drop the challenge. Both girls have been defeated by a boy competing as a girl. Their challenge states that he has an unfair advantage and violates Title IX. There's no ruling on it yet.
The big problem with the law is how they determine who's a boy or a girl. It's invasive. I don't know why they didn't use a simple DNA test.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Getting your junk cut off really ups the ante.

P

But it does not change the cards, IMO.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

XX....You're a girl.

So now you want to marginalize triploids?
wink

That takes us back 30 or 40 years to that Russian woman in the Olympics. She was XXX and was barred from competing. It lead to genetic testing of all Olympic athletes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
This winter Idaho enacted a law that prevents boys from competing on girls' teams at any state sponsored school from K through college. It's being challenged by the ACLU (no surprise there). Right now, there are 2 girl athletes who have filed suits to get the judge to drop the challenge. Both girls have been defeated by a boy competing as a girl. Their challenge states that he has an unfair advantage and violates Title IX. There's no ruling on it yet.
The big problem with the law is how they determine who's a boy or a girl. It's invasive. I don't know why they didn't use a simple DNA test.

DNA tests are unfair because they rely on science and the people wanting to use it here deny science.

Tongue only partly in cheek...

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I thought DNA sampling was part of the law, as reported on TV when it was enacted.

Physical examination by medical personel reserved for those who refused DNA?

I need to read it again.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

292 members (308ld, 257 mag, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 31 invisible), 1,544 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,719
Posts18,457,169
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.