Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jpterry Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Hi guys,

There was a post little while back on Mr. Forbes CLR Hybrid Conversions and mentioned I was having one done in 284win and it showed up today. Several members asked me to send pics and details so thought I would share here for everyone interested.

As most know, no better person to work with than Mr. Forbes, takes his time with you and makes sure he understands exactly what you are wanting. True class act. I asked him to inspect the action before he did any work on the build and he said it was a very good and great for the 284win build.

This was a CLR 270 originally and had Mr. Forbes do the following:

Replace with his stock and woodland camo
Replace Trigger/Safety (Timney)
New mag box and follower
New trigger guard
Install new Douglas barrel #1 at 22" and 9 twist
Cerakote barrel and action
Talley 1" lows

Total cost was right at $1550 for everything not including the CLR action.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jpterry; 05/28/20.
BP-B6

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Few more...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for the post and the information. Hope you keep us updated.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't understand why you did a short action caliber in a long action? wouldn't a 280 made more sense?

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Don't understand why you did a short action caliber in a long action? wouldn't a 280 made more sense?

284s in long action is the way most go when building... Gives you room to seat the longer BC bullets. The mag box in short action is pretty limiting at 2.9" or so with the 284.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Price seems more than reasonable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had it been 8" RPM and a thunk given at throat geometry,it woulda connected all dots. Hint.

The Forbes S/A magbox's are relatively roomy in COAL,while their L/A is not. A 280 quickly runs itself outta room there,just as a Montucky or Fieldcraft does as well. Too bad all. Hint.

Hopefully,as a minimum the barrel is S/S.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Had it been 8" RPM and a thunk given at throat geometry,it woulda connected all dots. Hint.

The Forbes S/A magbox's are relatively roomy in COAL,while their L/A is not. A 280 quickly runs itself outta room there,just as a Montucky or Fieldcraft does as well. Too bad all. Hint.

Hopefully,as a minimum the barrel is S/S.

Hint..................

Yes, it's SS cerakoted. This is a CLR conversion, not a Forbes conversion so all CLRs are long actions. I explained to Melvin I would want to shoot anything from 120BTs(primary bullet) up to 168 VLDs and his recommendation was 9 twist.

I have other rifles if I ever needed longer distance than 168VLD would give me. Berger website says min 1:10 twist for 168VLD so feel I'm fine but thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Point was/is,that it's an epic design FLAW,to cast such roominess in COAL on the S/A's,yet be soooooo stingy with same on the L/A's. Thus the extrapolation and pardon my being more than a touch fluent in such things. Hint.

With the CLR/Forbes/Fieldcraft in hand,along with a piece of 284 brass,it mighta' taken me 12 seconds to seat a 180 ELD to use as a Dummy to ascertain throat geometry(clearance and freebore),while allowing myself room to chase lands. Why the fhuqk anyone would do it ANY other fhuqking way,is beyond me,but is fhuqking FUNNY! Hint.

There is nothing redeeming in the Booger 168,in any chambering or with any twist rate,as it's a turd. The 162 ELD slaps it silly,for less jingle,if only for starters. Hint.

Why one would wantonly discard THE best boolit in da' bidness,when spec'ing a Custom with the internals to connect those dots,can only swing the pendulum to FULL Fhuqking Retard. Though an "explanation" of how the 168 "tops out" 284 Win case capacity,will be worth a few fhuqking more laughs. Hint.

It'll only come as a surprise only to you,that an 8" RPM spout wearing a friendly 180 throat,will of course pinwheel the Dog Schit 120 NBT too. Hint.

I get it that you are CLUELESS,but it is FUNNY. Hint.

Bless your heart for TRYING though.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That's a very good looking rifle. And if you got what you paid for, that's what matters.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
This rifle was built for deer hunting between 100-400yds that I can carry all day. I don't want to shoot 180+ grain bullet out of a 5.5lb rifle at 500+yds... Lol. I have other rifles for those hunts, don't need this one to be a do it all rifle. The main bullet I will shoot will be a 120bt at 3200fps... It's an awesome deer killer easily to 600yds.

Last edited by Jpterry; 05/28/20.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
That's a very good looking rifle. And if you got what you paid for, that's what matters.

Thanks, yes it's exactly what I was wanting from Mr. Forbes. I'm also a huge Colt fan and liked having the Rampant Colt logo on the action.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
A very nice rifle indeed. You will be pleased with the way it shoots and feeds in the LA. FYI. Norma made a small batch of .284win brass. There might be some available out there If one looks hard enough.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jpterry
This rifle was built for deer hunting between 100-400yds that I can carry all day. I don't want to shoot 180+ grain bullet out of a 5.5lb rifle at 500+yds... Lol. I have other rifles for those hunts, don't need this one to be a do it all rifle. The main bullet I will shoot will be a 120bt at 3200fps... It's an awesome deer killer easily to 600yds.

Originally Posted by cooperfan

284s in long action is the way most go when building... Gives you room to seat the longer BC bullets. The mag box in short action is pretty limiting at 2.9" or so with the 284.

Fhuqking HILARIOUS Ineptitude. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my having shot a bajillion .284" 120's(all flavors and of course NBT's),in countless 7-08's,multiple 7-08 AI's,ShamWow's,Whizzum's,multiple 284's,280's,280 AI's,7mm RemMag's and of course STW. If only for starters. I enjoy the SPECTACULAR Hilarity of a sub .400 BC G1 drag function at 3200fps,being "the ticket" to 600yds(sub 1800fps impact). Then the "wisdom" of building a Goat Fhuqk Custom,to purposely arrange something soooooooo HILARIOUSLY Pathetic,with "all" that you "know". Hint. LAUGHING!

Rest assured,that upping RPM and spec'ing a great throat,don't add "weight" to the equation either. Now muse a smidge on the mounting system/glass that's destined for that Piece Of schit and REALLY add some more oblivious fhuqking humor. Hint.

I'll not mention that 264 Kreedmire Factory Fodder,makes that impact velocity to the 750yd+ line. If only due to your extry sensitive recoil aversion(s). Hint. LAUGHING!

You CLUELESS Drooling fhuqktards are a HOOT! Hint.

Bless your heart for TRYING though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

As an aside,Norma 284 Win brass is fhuqking Dog Schit...bump Lapooey's up.

Hint..................

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Anyway, back on ignore for Dip Stick. Anyone that hunts with a .284 bullet knows the 120bt is a great bullet. And at 3200fps at muzzle and .417 bc according to ballistic calculator that's 1950fps at 600yds. Not that I would ever shoot this rifle at a deer that distance anyway...

Anyway, I wanted a lightweight .284 built by Melvin and primary purpose for deer. For those that like it, thanks for comments.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
He's on ignore, but let me guess: he's bashing your rifle because it's not set up to shoot 4x further than you'll ever hunt with it and/or your bullet because his computer doesn't like it, despite you having *actually killed game* with it.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
He's on ignore, but let me guess: he's bashing your rifle because it's not set up to shoot 4x further than you'll ever hunt with it and/or your bullet because his computer doesn't like it, despite you having *actually killed game* with it.

Lol, you nailed it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh my,NOT Imaginary Pretend Ignore,as yet another CLUELESS Fhuqk shoves her pointy head in the sand...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

In fairness,Nuzzler's BC values are easily amongst THE most fhuqking hilariously inflated. The Litz G7 is .185,which of course translates to sub .400 G1,as I simply stated. I've a "hunch" that I'm fairly 7mm and 120gr fluent,if only to a Drooling Retard's chagrin. Simply state the atmospherics and I'll happily slap you upside your own pointy fhuqking head,with even more of your contrived fhuqking STUPIDITY. Hint.

Be SURE to yell at the calculator. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Now you are the one who cited the initial and subsequent distances and of course are more than a little taken aback,when I speak with the Facts and Physics of those particulars. Read that again. Now one more time. THAT is some fhuqking FUNNY schit! Hint. LAUGHING!

Be sure to "teel" me "more",because you REALLY "know" your "stuff". You CLUELESS Fhuqktards never disappoint and that by simply giving it your ALL. Hint. Laughing!

Bless your heart for fhuqking Trying and botching schit soooooooo fhuqking Hilariously!

Hint.

LAUGHING!....................

clockwork whiner,

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,as you try to keep pace with your GoogleFu...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

It takes some REAL "thought",to build a Custom long action,that pales to 264 Kreedmire Factory Fodder,given the "knowledge","experience" and "results" the DUMB Fhuqk concocted as a "recipe". Hint. laughing!

I VERY much enjoy how "real" Imaginary Pretend Ignore is,to you AMAZINGLY Stupid Kchunts. hint.

Bless your heart for lying and don't "forget",that you "can't read" this.

Hint.

LAUGHING!

Wow +P+++!!!.................

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
#StickSurvivedCorona
#Da.mmitMan

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 05/28/20.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Lol, you nailed it.

Haha oh well... Forest Gump was right about stupid. Let us know how it shoots.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.