Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks Pugs! I seem to remember that Billy Dixon had his resended for his action at 2nd Battle of Adobe Walls. I didn’t know for sure and don’t have time this morning to really look into it.

I also believe it was about this same time that Congress also changed things and made officers eligible for the MOH.

All have a good day!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by ribka
You either own it or you don’t. If you own it, you can assign whatever value you want to it and sell it.

So every political office including POTUS, SCOTUS, State Govt offices and military officer position should be offered to the highest bidder then

If the political office was a piece of ribbon and a small hunk of metal you could put in your pocket, then, “sure”. If not, I don’t think your analogy makes any sense.

There are those of us that don't just see a "piece of ribbon and a small hunk of metal".

Doesn’t really matter what you see. What matters is what the guy who owns it sees. Well, at least that’s the way is supposed to work for those who aren’t communists.

Not in the US where it will cost you $100 000.

did you just put a price on a MOH?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Bristoe
You either own it or you don't.

If you own it, you have the right to sell it.

Any other opinion is right out of Mao's little red book.

then the medal of honor has no value and means nothing but you never served in combat so would never understand

Would the German auction house sell a jewish human skull from auschwitz or JFK's blood stained suit from his assassination ?

All of that's beside the point.

If someone owns it and wants to sell it, it's nobody's business.

Well Congress created it...and did so for a reason...

They also made a law against it being sold, and did so for a reason..

and assigned a hefty fine for selling one.. for a reason..

so maybe you should be voicing your displeasure over that law that was passed forbidding it being sold, to your Senator and Congressman, or maybe even President Trump, and have them change the laws over it being sell-able...

otherwise anyone's opinion about it should be able to be sold, really doesn't matter..

Those that have served respect what the CMH means and represents.. so that is why they are inclined to agree to the law passed banning the sell of one...

Again Congress passed that law for a reason, as they created the Medal for a Reason during the Civil War...160 plus years ago..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You either own it or you don’t. If you own it, you can assign whatever value you want to it and sell it.

So every political office including POTUS, SCOTUS, State Govt offices and military officer position should be offered to the highest bidder then

And they are.....

You own it, it's yours to sell.

Should it be sold? No.

I think I got me a sore crotch on this one.... smile

Plus, it is only illegal to sell it in the US.

Last edited by las; 05/29/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Might as well sell our national parks too to the highest bidder and how about Arlington cemetery ? some prime realestate there lol

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by KFWA

Not in the US where it will cost you $100 000.

did you just put a price on a MOH?

listed the fine.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The person who owns it wants to sell it.

The person with $15,500 wants to buy it.

It's nobody else's business.

A person is awarded the MOH.

They are not "given" it.

They are a "recipient" of the MOH.

A grateful nation, is still the owner.

IOW, they hold the MOH during their capacity to do so.

They are treated like royalty, as they should be, so their family is not intruded upon to return the award after their death.

The family is, and should be, able to keep and descend the MOH as they see fit.

But the MOH is still the property of the entity awarding it, a grateful nation.

Selling an award for incredible valor is, and should be discouraged, as it is, by law.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If the owner has so little respect for all honor surrounding the award, why ban someone who does from being its caretaker?

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are not allowed to sell this... in the United States. American auctions happily sell military medals from other countries. And Nobel prizes, and Olympic medals. I don't see how they can stop this guy's auction in Germany from selling it. And indeed they didn't.

Bernhard Pacher, the managing director of Hermann Historica, noted the law doesn’t apply to him since he is not in the U.S.

“There’s nothing morally bad in selling a medal, even if it’s pointed out to me that it’s illegal in the U.S., because I’m not in the U.S.,” Pacher told Stars and Stripes.

“In general, there’s way less emotion here towards objects of historical value than there is in the United States,” he said.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
(and if Ted Cruz really wanted it home in America, he should have made a bid)

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Gooschiet, have we perhaps seen you on TV lately having fun in Minneapolis or Denver or Portland?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The recipient is loooong dead - 100 years dead - so it was obviously not awarded to the seller. No family member who even knew Pvt. Thomas Kelly is alive. Should it be illegal for that owner to possess it? What does it matter if he inherited it, found it, or bought it? He or she didn't earn , yet they still possess it. Should it be relegated to a junk drawer in some niece's house who never knew and doesn't give two shiites about Pvt. Thomas Kelly? Should the recipient be mandated to wear it in the grave? The medal is a symbol of the honor, not the honor itself.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.