-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
What happened to the kids' wading pool? My sister and her husband in WA got an above ground pool for their granddaughter. They had to get one a bit larger than they wanted and they hauled it home. Before they unloaded it from the pickup, they started reading the instructions - which included a bunch of info on keeping it legal. Seems that the city has pages of requirements on liability, fencing and who know what else. It would all cost much more than the pool. They returned it without ever unloading it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
What happened to the kids' wading pool? My sister and her husband in WA got an above ground pool for their granddaughter. They had to get one a bit larger than they wanted and they hauled it home. Before they unloaded it from the pickup, they started reading the instructions - which included a bunch of info on keeping it legal. Seems that the city has pages of requirements on liability, fencing and who know what else. It would all cost much more than the pool. They returned it without ever unloading it.

The operative words there are " the city has pages of requirements on liability, fencing and who know what else. Bad enough even now in the country - but inside the city limits ya can't take a breath of air w/o some rule/regulations that MUST MUST MUST be followed...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
They probably wont open the city pool here this summer.

Been think about a cheap pool here.

I dont know if its worth it.

Back yard pools and low head dams.......drowning machines.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Swimming pools seem to be like owning horses, the original price is the cheapest part.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have one made from a 6' round galvanized water trough. I sprayed the inside with a 2-part epoxy to keep it from rusting, wrapped the outside with the bubble insulation and then clad it with t&g cedar. It has a cheap pump from Walmart, a wood fired heater and a 12v multi-color light. We call it our "cool pool".

It was built in the mid-century redneck style with a touch of white trash.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Oldest daughter and family had just finished installing a tall privacy fence around their in-ground pool when a toddler of around 2 or so years old wandered off from a house up the street about a block and showed up in their yard. Luckily daughter saw him, took him in and cared for him until parents came for him. Scary to think how it could have turned out without the fence around the pool.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

That should not have been a surprise.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Hold it, I thought we had this straightened out already, all you need is a pond liner and some diverted irrigation water.

I'll bring ya a coconut palm to plant beside it even...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I went with this,
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoor...ools/Round-15-ft/N-5yc1vZ1z18h1rZ1z18bu2

15x48”
Soon as swim season is over I’ll trash it.
Ronnie

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by JeffA

Hold it, I thought we had this straightened out already, all you need is a pond liner and some diverted irrigation water.

I'll bring ya a coconut palm to plant beside it even...

I could sure use some irrigation water!

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I dont know if its worth it.

Back yard pools and low head dams.......drowning machines.

I wouldn’t get a pool deeper that what my youngest kid could stand up with their head above water until they were both very good swimmers. That was 2 years ago now when my son was about 8. We had an in ground pool built and everyone has enjoyed it. We live in town so we have locks on the gates to keep others out (which I’d have anyway). We also have an alarm on the back door that we can set when younger kids are visiting so we know if they try to sneak outside.

Water is something we don’t play with here so we’re very careful. I grew up swimming in creeks and lakes. Those are more dangerous than pools in my opinion. Water is dangerous no matter where is is when combined with little kids.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Hastings
Swimming pools seem to be like owning horses, the original price is the cheapest part.

I’ve had both, never again!

Good comparison

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I even had to fill in a 3 1/2 foot deep 15x15 garden pond at my high school that was behind an 8ft fence, lest some kid climb the fence and drown themselves in it.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People want all the sharp corners in the world rounded off and padded.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steve
People want all the sharp corners in the world rounded off and padded.

Amen

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

When we had a pool (previous house), we loved it, but the pool was roughly 1/2 the cost of getting a pool we could actually use, we had an inground and between cement around it and fence, it doubled the cost of the pool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the third year we have had an in ground pool Wife did all the legwork on getting it installed, guess I shouldn't have worked out of state half of that year.....I was totally against it. The upkeep has been surprisingly simple though. Once a month or so the light comes on that says 'low salt', so I add a bag of salt. In an hour or so, the light goes out. Turn the sweeper on every couple of days. Empty the skimmer basket out every couple of days. Other than that, I've done nothing to it. Water stays clear.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222ND, 65 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.