Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
OK. I've measured all the possibilities and determined that the longest distance I can shoot at the farm is about 400-450 yards. I've got a new 14" A-500 gong. I've spent my life shooting at targets 100 yards and under. I currently have the gong at 200 yards and I can already tell that this is way too easy with everything that is practical.

I'm now thinking ahead. I know 400 yards is not all that far for folks that are trying. I figure I'll build one of my target frames -- two fence posts with 3 2X4's screwed between. I'll put the gong out there as well.

The next step requires some thought. What's fun at 400 yards?

I'm working on my Ruger American Predator in 223. It's going to have a nice Boyd's AT-One stock.
I've got a M1 Garand that rang the gong at 200 yards with the first shot.
I've got a slew of deer rifles in normal chamberings

30-06 /308 WIN
25-06
8X57
35 Whelen

If I had to pick a rifle to re-work, it'd be the 25-06 Mauser. If I had to pick one off my bucket list for a new rifle, the nearest I can think of is 7mm-08 or 308Win bolt gun.

What does one shoot at 400 yards? This is new ground for me.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your .223 would be my first choice.
1. Low recoil means high volume shooting (more fun per session) is feasible.
2. Lower cost per round for both handloads and factory loads compared to your deer rifles. Before the current pandemic, factory FMJ (plinking) ammo was down around 26 cents per round on sale if bought by the thousand.
3. Can challenge yourself more with wind reading and correction than typical deer rifle rounds like the ones you listed.

Second would be whatever chambering of your options could achieve the least wind drift so on windy days when you're frustrated with how much the .223 bullets are drifting you can more easily hit the steel.

I predict it won't be long before you buy a smaller gong because with a little practice you won't find your current gong challenging at 400 yards except under windy conditions. At that point you could move your current gong to 200 to 300 yards and have fun with a .22 LR.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Your .223 would be my first choice.

Second would be whatever chambering of your options could achieve the least wind drift so on windy days when you're frustrated with how much the .223 bullets are drifting you can more easily hit the steel.

Thanks for the quick comeback.

Would 25-06 be a good choice? If so, does anyone have a suggestion for bullets?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
400 yards is a chip shot for most everything centerfire. I said most, not all.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have played with a bunch of different rifles at 400+ yards, partly because the local range (where my wife and I are life members) has gongs of various sizes scattered out to 1000 yards. I also shoot prairie dogs every year, with some rifles well beyond 400 yards.

As others have noted, you won't find much challenge in simply hitting a 14" gong at 400 with most centerfires, or even rimfires. Even some surprisingly small centerfire rounds will work consistently on prairie dogs (which generally means a target no more than 2" wide) at 300-350, which is about as far as most hitters can hit more than they miss during typical wind conditions. Have killed PD's out to around 425 with the .22 Hornet, loaded with 40-grain plastic-tips at 3000 fps, and out to 600+ with the .17 Fireball. It's even easier using a fast-twist .223 with heavier, high-BC bullets--and am guessing your RAR Predator has a faster twist.

You might invest in smaller gongs after you get going.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
.223 for certain. The shooting is well within its abilities, it's cheap to shoot (I shoot mostly inexpensive Fiocchi Extrema in mine to save my precious time), and won't need a new barrel in a long, long time. Recoil and report are mild. Save the big 'uns for hunting (with some practice thrown in).

What fresh Hell is this?
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Any on your list will do. My longest mule deer kill was 465 with a 139btsp out of my 7-08. Now, I don't normally like to do that, especially if the wind is gusty, but the conditions were right that day, and stalking him wasn't an option. Like others have said, any will do. 400 isn't that far. If you really want to challenge yourself try a 22lr at 300+ (there are those that specifically set up a 22lr for "rimfire long range"). Personally I've decided I'm not fun enough to join that crowd.

I'd say put a 7-08 on it. Having that mauser's action length will allow you to do any long .284 bullet without loosing case capacity (assuming it throated right, and is at least a 1/9 twist). Honestly, you could do about the same with a 6.5cm, however, I'm a big fan of the 7-08. My 7-08 is on a long action, FYI.

Keep us posted on your fun adventure.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What's fun at 400 yards? Anything that will shoot that far, even a 22 LR. That might break the monotony of gong rings up a bit.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get yourself a BP cartridge gun, cast some bullets and learn a thing or two about drift and drop.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
C'est bien ça!

[Linked Image from parentingthemodernfamily.com]

Circle the wagons! Indians!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shaman
OK. I've measured all the possibilities and determined that the longest distance I can shoot at the farm is about 400-450 yards. I've got a new 14" A-500 gong. I've spent my life shooting at targets 100 yards and under. I currently have the gong at 200 yards and I can already tell that this is way too easy with everything that is practical.

I'm now thinking ahead. I know 400 yards is not all that far for folks that are trying. I figure I'll build one of my target frames -- two fence posts with 3 2X4's screwed between. I'll put the gong out there as well.

The next step requires some thought. What's fun at 400 yards?

I'm working on my Ruger American Predator in 223. It's going to have a nice Boyd's AT-One stock.
I've got a M1 Garand that rang the gong at 200 yards with the first shot.
I've got a slew of deer rifles in normal chamberings

30-06 /308 WIN
25-06
8X57
35 Whelen

If I had to pick a rifle to re-work, it'd be the 25-06 Mauser. If I had to pick one off my bucket list for a new rifle, the nearest I can think of is 7mm-08 or 308Win bolt gun.

What does one shoot at 400 yards? This is new ground for me.

I know a lot of guys have seen this one, but I made this target to shoot at 400-450 yards:
I built this one in about 2 hours...

This tree has targets ranging in size from 2" to 12" and I'll tell you, if you can hit the 2" target consistently at 400 yards, you are doing pretty damn good. For me a 14" target would be way too big. I got the idea of this shooting tree when I was shooting with my dad in Nevada at a cool shooting range they have. Here's the tree there:
Of course, everyone is going to tell you shooting at 400 yards is easy, until you get them out there and they actually try it. Targets like the 2" diameter plate are what proves you can shoot at that distance.

Another thing you will find out is if you want to make consistent hits at that range, you are going to want to buy something like the 6.5 creedmoor. It will reliably, and consistently, make better hits than your 223 will. Its easier on the shoulder than anything else on your list as well..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Use a .22 Rimfire OFFHAND. You will not be soon bored. Unless a considerable number of misses are boring. :):)

"not too grumpy"
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The 25-05 is a favorite of mine . I would keep it in the stable .

You may want to also try long range pistol .

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Gun control at its best.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What does one shoot at 400 yards?

Well, I once shot a whitetailed buck at that range with my .308. Dropped in its tracks.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What does one shoot at 400 yards?

Well, I once shot a whitetailed buck at that range with my .308. Dropped in its tracks.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7 BR shooting a 168 MK.

Very accurate with low recoil.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Once hitting the 14" gong at 400 yards becomes routine from a bench rest, get off the bench. If you are a hunter, shooting from typical field positions is good practice.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have your own little egg shoot at 400. That should keep you interested for a while. Pick the smaller calibers in your stable and have some fun burning ammo and learning( elevation seems fairly easy but that dog gone wind can make ya feel foolish)!

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GhettoSportman
Have your own little egg shoot at 400. That should keep you interested for a while. Pick the smaller calibers in your stable and have some fun burning ammo and learning( elevation seems fairly easy but that dog gone wind can make ya feel foolish)!

Yeah, elevation is physics, windage is snake oil.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,136
Posts18,464,777
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.