Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Just took possession of a NIB M&P 2.0 Shield EZ 9mm. Looking forward to learning to shoot.

The way life should be.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Handguns are harder to learn to shoot well. Not a very long sight radius, and of course hand held. Practice, practice. Start out with some lower velocity loads. Grip and sight alignment are the key.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations. Nine millimeter Luger is nice to own because you can save a lot on practice ammo by using LVE, Tula or Barnaul.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
If I may ask, are there good tutorials online for proper grip? I am LH and notice when I bring my right hand in to support my left hand it feels strange with the right palm area covering the left thumb. I am spending time with the firearm and the owner's manual before taking it to live fire.

The way life should be.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Get some training from someone in your area that knows what they are doing, not just someones that says they know what they are doing. If you have any local competitions you can likely find someone there willing to help a newb. Short of that try the NRA, some instructors know their stuff some don't. If you can get hold of one of the NRA booklets they are pretty good for explaining grip, stance, breathing, follow through, trigger control and aiming.

If your support hand palm is over your firing hand thumb, your grip is wrong from the start. Don't develop bad habits then have to fight to correct them. Trust me, it's much easier to start with good habits. Been there, done that and still fight bad habits from time to time.

Also, consider picking up a .22 rimfire. Easier to learn with because there isn't near as much recoil and noise to deal with and has the added advantage of being even cheaper to shoot. From time to time I'll find myself fighting a flinch, usually after shooting a bunch of stout loads with fairly heavy recoil and blast. A session or two with one of the rimfires will straighten me out.

Don't overlook the importance of dry fire practice. Get yourself some snap caps and just 15 minutes every night can quickly make a huge difference. Without the distraction of noise and muzzle blast it is much easier to concentrate on the fundamentals.

Hope this helps some.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Definitely. Snap caps for a pistol? Does one load a full magazine or just a couple?

The way life should be.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you purchase the book “The Perfect Pistol Shot” I’m confident you will quickly become a more accurate shooter. Be patient, handguns take time to master.

Congrats on your new handgun!

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bluefish
Definitely. Snap caps for a pistol? Does one load a full magazine or just a couple?

I load up a full mag of snap caps for my EZ 9. Great practice for trigger control- with no recoil, you can see clearly if your trigger pull is straight back, or pulling you off target.
Just focus on a target, squeeze off a shot, rack the slide, repeat. Great practice

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_Reloader
If you purchase the book “The Perfect Pistol Shot” I’m confident you will quickly become a more accurate shooter. Be patient, handguns take time to master.

Congrats on your new handgun!

Range time with an expert is the best. Another good book is U.S. Army Combat Pistol Training Manual.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good point.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Here is a question: I have been shooting the gun quite a bit. At 7 yards, no matter what I do when I hold the sight on the bulls eye I am 6 inches low. Operator error? Sights need to be different? Thoughts? Thanks.

The way life should be.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Here is a question: I have been shooting the gun quite a bit. At 7 yards, no matter what I do when I hold the sight on the bulls eye I am 6 inches low. Operator error? Sights need to be different? Thoughts? Thanks.

try a load with a heavier bullet and lower muzzle velocity.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yes, a heavier bullet has been going higher for my new CZ during it’s break in period. I’ve been shooting any 9mm stuff that I can get my hands on and shooting at 10 yards. The 115’s go low, the 124’s go a bit higher and the 147’s go point of aim. Not that there won’t be a new set of better sights in my future, but for now it is mostly finding 115’s and living with 3” low.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Carefully fire a magazine from a rested position with the top of the front and rear sight on the same plane. At seven yards you'll quickly find out which one of you has an issue.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
S&W M&P-series all use combat sights. I don't know why.
You need to learn to place the front dot where you want the bullet to hit. Do that and it will magically stop shooting low.

Of course if you really mean "low and right", then you need to work on your trigger stroke (for a southpaw).

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Bullets are landing below the bull just 6 inches low. 115 grain fmj.

The way life should be.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bullets are landing below the bull just 6 inches low. 115 grain fmj.

This is one of the most common "problems" reported by new shooters of S&W pistols. It is made worse by all the self proclaimed "experts" on forums. The following is what your sight picture should look like:

[Linked Image from sites.google.com]

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
That is exactly what I'm seeing when I aim the gun. Just like that and they are all hitting at bottom of the target at 7 yards.

The way life should be.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has nothing to do with S&W pistols.

You are anticipating recoil and dropping the muzzle.This is more common than the cold for new handgun shooters.

You must learn to keep the sights aligned until after the recoil, not until just before recoil, follow through.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Poor choice for what I'm assuming is your first handgun. Your LGS should have advised you otherwise if in fact that was your point of purchase

Ammo isn't cheap my friend,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,088
Posts18,463,966
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.