-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder if Audie Murphy woulda cleared MEPS.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mucho props to that kid cool Might be he has relatives who are Marines or former Marines.

Used to be a strong tradition around here of Hispanic kids joining the Marines. Doesn't seem to be so much anymore.

A lot still go in, but seems like Army/Navy/Air Force all sign up more than the Marines.

The kids are looking at career skills rather than the straight-up warrior ethos, especially those that go Navy/Air Force.

I know the Marines offer career skills too, bit ya don't see the 'few good men" billboards around so much anymore. Maybe they have realized that no longer attracts as many as it once did.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

No he wouldn't, and he didn't get into the military the first time he tried.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by taylorce1

No he wouldn't, and he didn't get into the military the first time he tried.

That was because he was too young and small. He was only 16, below the minimum age requirements. His sister helped him falsify his enlistment papers to change his birth date. The army, navy, and Marines all turned him down for being too small. A year or so later he tried again and got in. He 1st saw combat in '43.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WOW, that's dedication. I'm glad he's on our side. Congratulations Gabriel!

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I know the Marines offer career skills too, bit ya don't see the 'few good men" billboards around so much anymore. Maybe they have realized that no longer attracts as many as it once did.

I'd like to think that even a school teacher could figure out why that recruiting slogan is no longer in use.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Today?

Yes.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've seen a lot of 40 year old guys who have gained 186 pounds after leaving the Marine Corps... at least according to their hat on their head, claiming they were once a Marine...so he'll gain it all back once he leaves the Corps...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Marine Corps boot camp has dropped more pounds on people than all diet plans, diet meals in the world combined.

I have seen parents barely recognize their child at boot camp graduation.

The Marine Corps has changed many, many lives for the better. Today, many young recruits don’t understand the word “No” until they go to recruit training. They soon realize that their feelings are not the center of the universe. It’s really cool to watch the transformation. There are a few bad apples, but the vast, vast majority of stories are very positive.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

I'd like to think that even a school teacher could figure out why that recruiting slogan is no longer in use.

Because the warrior ethos, the heart and soul of the Military, don’t sell like it did?

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Stick to Peace Corps stuff.

Seems more your speed.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have to wonder how the kid got to nearly 400lb in the first place. He's to be commended for losing it but what was going on his life to gain that much to start with?

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Gotta respect that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats...Good for him!!!

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We here stories of kids going in the Military, gets them off the streets, straightens out their life, and I know this happens.

I just wish the Marines could take 17yo recruits with no HS Diploma, a lot of young men that age looking to be men, gonna find an outlet for that somewhere, constructive or destructive.

I dunno tho if this would bring the Marines more problem recruits than its worth.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have to wonder how the kid got to nearly 400lb in the first place. He's to be commended for losing it but what was going on his life to gain that much to start with?

Vidja games, pizza, cheetos, monster energy drink, staying up all night, never having mow grass, living in an apt building, afraid of bees, won’t go outside

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord

Vidja games, pizza, cheetos, monster energy drink, staying up all night, never having mow grass, living in an apt building, afraid of bees, won’t go outside

If that's the case, this boy is going to get fully eddycated the next couple of months.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Or as the fat kids on the bus used to say “leee muh a lone...I gotta gland problem”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We here stories of kids going in the Military, gets them off the streets, straightens out their life, and I know this happens.

I just wish the Marines could take 17yo recruits with no HS Diploma, a lot of young men that age looking to be men, gonna find an outlet for that somewhere, constructive or destructive.

I dunno tho if this would bring the Marines more problem recruits than its worth.

The Marine Corps is not a reform school. Neither are the other branches. We have enough problems without going out courting others.

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord

If that's the case, this boy is going to get fully eddycated the next couple of months.

Speaking as a 30+ year high school teacher, before a kid gets "reached" as this one did, ya can never tell for sure what's gonna do it or if a kid is gonna get "reached" at all.

Could be that Marine Corps recruiter made that fat and sluggish young man believe he could be a Marine, and somehow it took hold. That same recruiter coulda talked to 100 similar young men, and on just one or two, for whatever reason, it took,

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.