Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14887713 05/18/20
S
strut64 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have access to some LC 18 brass. Picked them up at the range since I am trapped in my house. I have lots of time. Is it worth my time to recondition vs commercial 223 Rem.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have had better luck with LC brass than I have with commercial, I get better longevity out of it and the price is right. The only down side is that sometimes range pickup brass has been fired in an rifle with an excessively large chamber and it does size down enough at the base to chamber in a smaller chamber - in that case just toss that piece.
Get a primer pocket reamer that fits into an electric drill and it makes opening the primer pockets quick and easy.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
strut64 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I am certain this stuff was used in an AR but I am going to give it a chance. Have tried to recondition 20 rounds just to try out on my savage bolt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I re-conditioned about 500 pcs of LC brass about 8 or 9 years ago and at the time I thought it was a pain in the azz. Been using that brass ever since. It’s probably been reloaded at least ten times. I’ll have to check my records. It was well worth the pain!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd rather use LC than any of the mass produced commercial brass, well worth the slight hassle of removing the primer crimp and I have yet to find any I couldn't size to fit my bolt gun. Hornady primer pocket reamer is the cheap and easy way to remove crimps:

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-390750-Primer-Pocket-Reamer/dp/B000NOORPW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Hornady+041203+Primer+Pocket+Reamer%2C+Small&qid=1589817838&sr=8-2

Chuck it into an electric drill.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have used LC from the 70s and 80s and like it . I do not know how the recent brass is .

I picked up some LC 3o8 recently with a 2014 headstamp. I have not tried it yet.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by strut64
I have access to some LC 18 brass. Picked them up at the range since I am trapped in my house. I have lots of time. Is it worth my time to recondition vs commercial 223 Rem.

Sure is.

Real LC brass is good stuff.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lake City brass is almost always worth the scrounge, and then the case prep if you have a decent size batch.
I've still got some LC 76 Bicentennial nickel brass that had a hard life before I got it. It's rubbed to nothing, but my, the cases that could still hold a primer when I first got the stuff, they still shoot GREAT.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
like the rest of the guys that have spoke up for LC brass....
I'll support their assessment 100 %...

As Last Round said, he'd expect 10 reloads out of them?
I anneal mine every time I reload it now a days.. from reading some of Scenar Shooters posts on his brass prep..

I shoot a lot of 223 and ALL in bolt guns...

out of Lake City, I expect way beyond 50 reloads..and I've got bunches of batches that have seen that many reloads..
I just am a little frugal on the powder scale, and that helps out a lot.. I don't need max velocity for varmint shooting or target shooting..I am usually shooting 223 from 50 to 300 yds on small varmints or targets... I've got 22.250s if I think I need more..

I've picked up most of mine over at the range...currently there seems to be an abundance of LC 17 and 19 out this way...

I purchased a Dillion Pocket Swager from one of the campfire members ( hanco) from down in Texas..
that is what i use to remove the primer pocket crimp.. one of the most useful auxiliary tools on my load bench...

once upon a time, I decided to test out how many times you could reload a case.. so I took 10 Remington pieces of range brass, and with 1000 55 gr FMJ bullets, I loaded those 10 cases 100 times each...annealing every 4th round...and using Lee Neck Sizer for the neck and a Redding Body die for the shoulder, as needed.. I kept the powder charge in the range of 40 to 45,000 CUP..

those cases are in a zip lock bag around here somewhere.. they look kinda ratty, but they've been reloaded 102 times now...
powder charge on each was 13.5 grains of Blue Dot...

I'd expect LC to give me better service life span than the Remington....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As far as being tough brass, I've haven't found anything better when considering it can be had in bulk. Occasionally, it can be bought new with no swaged primer pockets which is even better. In the accuracy department, it's allowed hits out to 500-600 yards on targets and prairie dogs. That's good enough for me.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep I like Lake City....and it doesn't have to be LC 18...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If 5.56/223 brass was fired in a loose chamber run the brass through a 38/357 carbide die with the decapping rod removed to squeeze the case base. You can run 308 & 30-06 brass through a carbide 45acp die. My RCBS 45 die is too shallow for 30-06 brass so I bought a Hornady carbide die and had the top bored through. Thanks to friend Steve Timm for this tip.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lee's .380 FCD and Bulge Buster kit works even better (.45 ACP for ..308). Pushes the case all the way through to size lower than the normal pistol sizer.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
strut64: so they are range pickups. What was the load that they were loaded with when they were fired?? Was it a 45,000 psi load or a 90,000 psi?

Jim Gibson
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by FatAlbert
strut64: so they are range pickups. What was the load that they were loaded with when they were fired?? Was it a 45,000 psi load or a 90,000 psi?

If it was LC factory loaded, it was bout a 63k PSI load.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yep...do it. Got a bunch loaded now with 53 grners for PD`s. Range pick-up..consistent good quality. I clean up the primer pocket with a case deburring tool in my electric drill...goes quick, and I only have to do it once.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought 750 new, unprimed LC cases; no futzing with decrimping or prep. Load and go.

A while back a well-known brass scrounger at our club ruined his upper with a head separation. So much for saving money. At least his lovely complexion wasn't marred.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover
I have had better luck with LC brass than I have with commercial, I get better longevity out of it and the price is right. The only down side is that sometimes range pickup brass has been fired in an rifle with an excessively large chamber and it does size down enough at the base to chamber in a smaller chamber - in that case just toss that piece.
Get a primer pocket reamer that fits into an electric drill and it makes opening the primer pockets quick and easy.

drover

I really like LC brass and recently I got a bunch the 18 as well. It is worth the time to resize it and cut out the primer pocket. If you have a drill press just chuck your chamfer tool in it and cut out the crimp. It only takes a touch and it's gone. There are tools that are specifically designed for that job but I have done hundreds (thousands) with the chamfer tool and a drill press. Drover is right about an over sized chamber but I usually find I put a pressure dent in the shoulder squeezing it down so far if it's stretched brass. (mostly machine gun brass) It will shoot anyway. LC brass grows more after the first couple of shots because it has some extra material in the case. I use a Crow World's Finest Trimmer (WFT) to keep the length in check after every load.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Another fan of LC here. There may have been some other head stamp on my 223 ammo over the years. I don't remember it, though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everything that goes through my ARs is LC only. Doesn't matter what year.

Got buckets of the stuff.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
843 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 3,268 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,712
Posts18,400,283
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.