Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Took the kid to Academy yesterday, she needed a hat for the summer sun. The deal is when she gets to buy something at Academy or WalMart, she has to be patient while Grampa looks at the gun section.

Academy is still cleaned out, not many guns on the shelf, but at the far end sat a lonely 9mm Ruger PC Carbine.

Now I've seen these PC's before lots of times in black, and thought I'd like to have one, but this one was in camo! Dunno, seemed like a whole 'nother firearm somehow.

"Birdy" it said to me, "when you retire and hit the road you can bring me along." It also takes Glock mags.

But, I resisted the temptation, and I weren't about to buy it in front of the Kid anyhow, because I'm habitually discrete about my ownership of guns ('cept on here, obviously).

Went out riding my bicycle today, at some point passing just a few miles from that Academy. I swear, it called to me.

This is how I rationalized it.... I was gonna use my government money, not my own. And I'd still have half left. And sure, I could buy a hot water heater for that same amount of money but ya gotta have your priorities in order.

So I made a detour, cabled up the bike to the bike rack out front of Academy and walked in. If it was gone that woulda been it, but it wasn't, so I bought it. $539 plus tax.

On bike rides I bring along a daypack-sized bag that hangs on the rack, containing a pump and tools and spare tubes. I also bought a 2XX relaxed fit Magellan long sleeved fishing shirt (my fave) at the same time I bought the gun. Outside the store I took the Ruger out of the box, took everything out of my bag, popped off the barrel and fore-end (its a takedown), of the Ruger, wrapped the two pieces in the shirt to protect them from banging and to hide them. The two pieces stuck out of the bag at the top a bit but covered with the shirt you couldn't see what they were. I put the box in the trash, squeezed everything in alongside the Ruger pieces, and off I went.

Nobody on the hike and bike trail was any wiser smile

So now I have my official black rifle, even tho properly speaking it is neither. I'm ready to hold the looters at bay during the next race riot. Ready to show I'm an armed and free citizen at the next bicycle lane protest.

Pretty cool little carbine too.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Congratulations on your purchase, Birdwatcher.

I hope it shoots and carries well for you.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Congratulations on your purchase, Birdwatcher.

I hope it shoots and carries well for you.

Tks, I've already tried the Kel Tec Sub 2000 carbine, but for me the Kel-Tec has so many design compromises to make it light and foldable that it doesn't come easily to the shoulder for snap shots, the sights are hard to pick up too.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Get a carry permit.
Even though its some sorta carbine.
Might need ta check reciprocal agreements per your state to state bike trips.

Just saying.....

Last edited by renegade50; 05/29/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
Get a carry permit.

Just saying.....

Tks. I've been legal to carry longer'n you was in the Service. This thing might even be legal in NY State with 10 round mags.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by renegade50
Get a carry permit.

Just saying.....

Tks. I've been legal to carry longer'n you was in the Service. This thing might even be legal in NY State with 10 round mags.

Damm .
All the way back to 1983.
Thats a long time to have a permit.
NYS might require a declaration of firearm in possession or some schitt.

They are flakey up their....

Remember being concerned about driving thru NYS back in 86 from carson to maine before going to germany.
Some need to or fail to notify transpo schit thru their state I heard rumours of.
So long ago cant really remember, but it was a back of the mind cincern briefly.
Had a push feed mod70 ot6 and a win 100 .308 at the time.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You was in for 37 years? I was comparing to 20, I got a CHL in '95, shortly after it came out in Texas.

Handguns have always been a no go through NY, unless you're crossing the State directly to where they are legal, locked, unloaded and in the trunk. Meeting the transport through the State sections of the law was always a defense to prosecution, not a preventative against arrest. IIRC the burden was on you to prove you weren't gonna stay.

A ten round magazine limit has been in effect in NYS for a long time, and Cuomo recently passed through a hated "Safe" act which made a lot of semi-autos illegal. Meanwhile, in New Jersey, IIRC even a single round of hollowpoint handgun caliber ammunition is a felony Haven't heard of NY State being that bad on other rifles or shotguns. We always got nervous passing through Massachusetts with even long guns back in the '70's because a special firearms owner's card was needed for that.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well, at least you can haul it on your bike. A hot water heater might be a bitch to transport. Although, the heater I bought last Sept. was 380 bucks. Had I wanted to wait, they would have delivered & shoved it in my door.
Priorities I guess.

What can I say, I've bought guns when the first wife complained she had to defrost the fridge every damn week. Easy, & foolish, went to bank, borrowed enough money to get her a fridge & me a Python.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
You was in for 37 years? I was comparing to 20, I got a CHL in '95, shortly after it came out in Texas.

Handguns have always been a no go through NY, unless you're crossing the State directly to where they are legal, locked, unloaded and in the trunk. Meeting the transport through the State sections of the law was always a defense to prosecution, not a preventative against arrest. IIRC the burden was on you to prove you weren't gonna stay.

A ten round magazine limit has been in effect in NYS for a long time, and Cuomo recently passed through a hated "Safe" act which made a lot of semi-autos illegal. Meanwhile, in New Jersey, IIRC even a single round of hollowpoint handgun caliber ammunition is a felony Haven't heard of NY State being that bad on other rifles or shotguns. We always got nervous passing through Massachusetts with even long guns back in the '70's because a special firearms owner's card was needed for that.

24 ...
Understand ya analogy now....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve been taking hot showers since I fit in the kitchen sink

50 yrs come tomorrow

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’ve been taking hot showers since I fit in the kitchen sink

50 yrs come tomorrow

Just a child. Must be awkward in front of company, right there in the kitchen.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just something about Slumloard in the kitchen sink paints a mental picture that is just disturbing .

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Damm seems just like yesterday I was shooting ripe persimmons with my slingshot at my little kid brother Slumlord.
Now he is all grown up and schitt.

LOL!!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Just something about Slumloard in the kitchen sink paints a mental picture that is just disturbing .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good for you Mike! Let us know how it shoots. You ought to try some of the Buffalo Bore Hard Cast Outdoorsman Load in it out on some hogs.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/29/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Some of the locations I get to do paid bird surveys I intend to bring it for that very reason, with that load or a ballistic equivalent. Feral hogs that ain’t shot at much often don’t take off running and I walk up on them all the time. Snakes, spiders don’t trouble me at all, but I dislike feral hogs more every time I run into them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some of the locations I get to do paid bird surveys I intend to bring it for that very reason, with that load or a ballistic equivalent. Feral hogs that ain’t shot at much often don’t take off running and I walk up on them all the time. Snakes, spiders don’t trouble me at all, but I dislike feral hogs more every time I run into them.

Good deal ! I bet it will be handy.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You just have your priorities in order that's all.......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put the box in the trash...

So much for collector status.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats, hope you never need it. Better than not having it if you do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (7887mm08, 35, 7x57Hunter, 44mc, Ashworth, 11 invisible), 1,437 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,260
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.