Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I have a confession to make. When the wife is sleeping, I get the laptop, a bottle of lotion and go to Guns International and enter 6.5 PRC into its search engine. G.A. Precision has a Cableas Exclusive: Manners stock, Templar action,(I'm usually licking the screen at this point) Bartlain #6 barrel, and a little bastard brake. By the time my eyes get all of this goodness into memory, the ad says 3/8's of an inch guaranteed. This is when my eyes roll back into my head and I swoon all the while in a compromising position.

I usually wake up to screams from the UPS/FEDEX/Mail lady resulting picking up my mail, and packages from the hubs. And of course being grounded off the computer for a couple of weeks. But there's a problem. It's not the 4300.00 price tag, I'll just sell a nonessential internal organ like my brain to finance it. No, its the LOP. It's only 13.5 and if you took a picture of me and a Orangutan, he'd be the one wearing pants.

So here's the dilemma, I have a perfectly fine Custom CZ from the CZ shop in 270 Winchester. It's everything CZ said it would be. LOP is 14 inches and its perfect. It's a MOA rifle with factory Barnes LRX's and sometimes a bit less, and they simply aren't making anymore CZ 550's.

Tell me I don't need this. Tell me I need to stay home with the old wrinkley 93 year old 270 Winchester with blue hair.

BP-B6

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You don't need it. I wouldn't buy one but that's me. Won't do anything your tried and true 270 won't do a bit better, if loaded with the right bullets. The right bullet applies to all cartridges. However. Since when did need have anything to do with the next rifle we buy? No one is anymore guilty of that than me. I can't think of a single, solitary reason I can justify "need" for my 3rd double rifle.

Last edited by sharps4590; 05/28/20.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
If you wat it, get it!! It’s simple!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can buy spacers (or silicone implants) to make the LOP anything you want. Then she'll be perfect.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still looking for the CZ 550 in 7x57...

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by sharps4590
You don't need it. I wouldn't buy one but that's me. Won't do anything your tried and true 270 won't do a bit better, if loaded with the right bullets. The right bullet applies to all cartridges. However. Since when did need have anything to do with the next rifle we buy? No one is anymore guilty of that than me. I can't think of a single, solitary reason I can justify "need" for my 3rd double rifle.

I'm just one rifle away from being Satisfied.........

Ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The real beauty of the 270 Win is its ability to run with magnums using only a 22-inch barrel. Bullet weights and velocities from it out of a 22-inch platform easily meet many .532” bolt, 24-inch magnum platforms. Any lightweight 21 or 22 inch 270 Win, with today’s components would be hard to beat in high altitude, long range hunting situations on a multitude of game. Nothing wrong with the 6.5 PRC, nothing new either as we’ve already seen in the 60s with the 6.5 Rem Mag.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Keep the 550. Especially if it's as nice as it sounds. Lots of folks looking for them and getting harder to come by...

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Buy the action, barrel, brake etc that you like...then a stock you like and fits you and have a 6.5PRC built if that's what you really want.

Give or take prices.

Stock $1000
Barrel and chambering $700
Action $1000
Brake $150
Trigger $200.

You're out the door for $3000 give or take.

I just saved you $1300 and got you a stock that fits lol.

Not knocking GA Precision one bit. Ive never touched one of their rifles. But, you're basically paying for the GA Precision and "Cabela's Exclusive" names.

A good gunsmith to chamber and bed is all you'd really need aside from parts.

Oh..I forgot the trigger. Need one of them typically. Lol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
I have a confession to make. When the wife is sleeping, I get the laptop, a bottle of lotion and go to Guns International and enter 6.5 PRC into its search engine. G.A. Precision has a Cableas Exclusive: Manners stock, Templar action,(I'm usually licking the screen at this point) Bartlain #6 barrel, and a little bastard brake. By the time my eyes get all of this goodness into memory, the ad says 3/8's of an inch guaranteed. This is when my eyes roll back into my head and I swoon all the while in a compromising position.

I usually wake up to screams from the UPS/FEDEX/Mail lady resulting picking up my mail, and packages from the hubs. And of course being grounded off the computer for a couple of weeks. But there's a problem. It's not the 4300.00 price tag, I'll just sell a nonessential internal organ like my brain to finance it. No, its the LOP. It's only 13.5 and if you took a picture of me and a Orangutan, he'd be the one wearing pants.

So here's the dilemma, I have a perfectly fine Custom CZ from the CZ shop in 270 Winchester. It's everything CZ said it would be. LOP is 14 inches and its perfect. It's a MOA rifle with factory Barnes LRX's and sometimes a bit less, and they simply aren't making anymore CZ 550's.

Tell me I don't need this. Tell me I need to stay home with the old wrinkley 93 year old 270 Winchester with blue hair.

Stay home with the old wrinkley 93 year old 270 Winchester with blue hair.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Geez. I need enablers dammit!

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Sadly, there's some good advice here. I suppose I can break out the dies, and stuff enough R19 to get me to 3200 fps and a bit smaller groups. And maybe just maybe Christine Brinkley will hear about it, and want my babies.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
It's your money. I am the LAST person to try to talk a guy out of a new gun lol. But, for me, it has to make sense. And buying "the perfect rifle" that isn't perfect (LOP issue) is ridiculous when you're talking a rifle with that price tag.

I've decided I have a cut off of about $1500 or so. If a rifle is going to run more than that, I'm going to build it to my specs.

I have 2 builds brewing. It's easier on the bank account than lumping out $4500 or whatever. Buy a piece here n there. Doesn't sting nearly as bad.

Just my thoughts.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
555 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.