Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I've been a compound guy for over 30 years. My daughter isn't strong enough to pull enough weight to be effective and she wants to be out during bow season. Crossbows are legal in michigan. If money isn't an object, Scorpyd, Ten Point or Ravin? The two of us would share the crossbow while on stand together. Local dealer has all three.

Salmonhead
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am buying a Scorpyd Deathstalker 420. Super accurate, powerful and quiet. Strings are easy to change out without a press, I hate to have to go to a dealer to get strings replaced when that time comes..

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 05/30/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had a Ravin for a couple of years now. I like it a lot. Accurate and no problems so far. Kind of pricey, but I'm happy with it so far.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Assuming you’re in the same blind or stand?

The three you’ve listed is more of a Chevy Ford Ram decision, they’re all good names in the x-bow arena. It’s really going to come down to which one feels the best, the one she can crank easiest, and what the accessories are going add on to the bottom line.

The Ravin has been in circulation enough now that most of the bugs are out of it, and you can get spare bolts / nocks pretty easy now. That was the biggest issue in my area for quite a while after they were available at the local shop. However, anything Ravin branded is expensive to replace or accessorize.

Ten Point has great reliability, a good warranty and easy to get parts for if needed. Their models run from traditional to compact, they are typically going to a larger package to pass around. I’ve owned a Ten Point, and several hunters I know are over ten seasons of hunting with their Ten Points.

Scorpyd - no experience.

The Ravin is generally the best for compact out of the group listed, as storage after the season is also a thought to keep in mind.

I switched over to Excalibur Micros two years ago when they introduced the takedown models. They now store as compact as a Raven, and we’ve done the takedown drill enough to confident that the zero truly does not shift. We’ve accounted for one elk , and multiple deer between two of them.

Last edited by AH64guy; 05/30/20.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks Guys, Appreciate the input.

Salmonhead
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I faced the same decision last year and went with the 10 point. It just felt better to me. Bow shop is run by personal friends and they also said better service/warranty by 10 point. Not that the others have bad service, just in their area they felt 10 point was slightly better. They said I should be happy with any of them but since the 10 point felt best to be, went with it. YMMV

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I was going to go to a crossbow it would be a Ravin R10 - more speed than you need, accurate as hell, and about the smallest package out there.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ravins look good on paper. Rapid string wear is an issue with people I know that shoot them. What is funny is there is no flight rail on these bows .

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have bowhunted for over 50 some years and i am also a archery dealer with my own pro shop too,indoor 20 yard range but i now have poor shoulders. so last year i went to using a x-bow so i have in the past sold x-bows and have had a chance to try many brands all were accurate but i personally like the Ravin its accurate ,fast and small,which makes it easy to handle and very safe too.but Ravins are expensive as are Mayhews line. Ravins load and unload easy.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned several Tenpoints and a few Scorpyds but no Raven (never will) ...I would choose a bow from the Tenpoint line-up, they are excellent crossbows with outstanding CS.....All that being said I own 4 Excalibur crossbows for their rugged simplicity...Good hunting ...Hb

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have owned several Tenpoints and a few Scorpyds but no Raven (never will) ...I would choose a bow from the Tenpoint line-up, they are excellent crossbows with outstanding CS.....All that being said I own 4 Excalibur crossbows for their rugged simplicity...Good hunting ...Hb

No Ravin???????????

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
No Sir, No Raven for me. I dont like the painfully slow cocking system. Plus I cant see Myself ever paying $1500 + for any crossbow (Tenpoint has a model that is $3K ) ....Crossbows and vertical bows get My vote as the poorest investment in hunting equipment, these things devalue faster than a Covid-19 stock market....Know when you buy a brand new bow that 1 year in you will be lucky if you can sell it at a 50% loss, just take a look at the Archerytalk classifieds, it is full of em 😂.....Hb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
No Sir, No Raven for me. I dont like the painfully slow cocking system. Plus I cant see Myself ever paying $1500 + for any crossbow (Tenpoint has a model that is $3K ) ....Crossbows and vertical bows get My vote as the poorest investment in hunting equipment, these things devalue faster than a Covid-19 stock market....Know when you buy a brand new bow that 1 year in you will be lucky if you can sell it at a 50% loss, just take a look at the Archerytalk classifieds, it is full of em 😂.....Hb

Ravin looks like under engineered crap selling for more then it should.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have the R-10 Ravin it was discounted to $1000.00 in the store, yes it loads slow but its very accurate and at 10 degrees below zero in late December my R-10 Ravin put a arrow thru a very nice buck for me . i never shot this x-bow for 2 months and it still made the 30 yard shot perfect for me, i don`t thing a x-bow could do any more any better .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I have Tenpoint and they are tremendous bows. If I buy another it will be a Scorpyd. Just want to try one! You can change your own strings on these. No press needed or dealer needed.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Since you stated that money is not a consideration, I would like to heartily endorse the Ravin. Last year I sold a couple of guns and purchased a Ravin R-26, mostly because a change in regulations has made the firearm season pretty hopeless on my hunting property in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. A shoulder replacement was also a big issue. I needed a crossbow that was light, handy and easy to cock and uncock.

I bit the bullet...er...bolt...and bought the R-26. I am extremely impressed with it. You cannot shoot multiple bolts at 20 yards from a rest at the same target, because they will hit each other. The bow comes with EVERYTHING you need; scope, bolts, quiver and cocker. Mine came with a free case as well.

It is simple and easy to cock, with a silent cocking feature if you want to use it. It is also simple to decock without shooting it or requiring extra tools. It delivers an honest 400 fps with a 400 grain bolt. The scope has ranging marks from 20-100 yards, and they are right on the money once the rig is sighted in.

Here are my first two shots at 50 yards last fall. I did kill a deer with it and a rifle would not have done the job any better.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 06/04/20.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X cal fan here. Simple, tough, I can change strings, rotate my string for serving wear, or adjust string lenght with a simple string device. Also decocks with the simple string cocking device.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We've covered this ground repeatedly here. While not the fastest, or most compact, the simplicity and ruggedness of the Excalibur recurves was the major reason I chose one over the high-tech models. I consider it a lifetime investment, just like a rifle. Even the bow can be replaced easily if needed. Now they have one with the crank built in too.

Don't know what the maintenance situation is with compound crossbow models, but most of the verticle compound users I know spend a lot time and money at their bowsmiths periodically.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
About to get myself an Excal after similar research. Good luck!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Pappy348
We've covered this ground repeatedly here. While not the fastest, or most compact, the simplicity and ruggedness of the Excalibur recurves was the major reason I chose one over the high-tech models. I consider it a lifetime investment, just like a rifle. Even the bow can be replaced easily if needed. Now they have one with the crank built in too.

Don't know what the maintenance situation is with compound crossbow models, but most of the verticle compound users I know spend a lot time and money at their bowsmiths periodically.

Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
AND A LIFETIME WARRANTY.....

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 54 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.