Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Excess water will weaken ready mix just a bit. You really don’t need much strength for your application anyway. Pour it and set your posts.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Sounds like a lesson in 'corner fence buildin', is needed, which should include 'H-Frame Braces' for the corner post.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Concrete is wet when it starts right?
Warms up hot enough to burn you while setting right?
Supposed to run water on it periodically to cool it while it cures? Right?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
In the wet form it is referred to as ready mix. It isn’t “concrete” until it hydrates/hardens.

The hydration process does certainly create heat. I have never seen it hot enough to burn, though.

Keeping placed concrete cool does help it cure. Particularly in hot weather. A sheet of plastic on top, sprayed occasionally with cool water, is a good trade practice.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just put a 4 X 4 in for my shed door corner used sauna tube about 30" deep put a 3/4" nipple tape on one end and used a 4 X 4 adjustable bracket in nipple 4 X 4 is above
ground and adjustable. Works well in my area does not move with frost line. Do not like posts set in concrete they tend to rot in my experience.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I will say the foam substitute for concrete sucks ass. I bought a few bags to try on a fence i installed ended up ripping out all of the corner posts and using concrete

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Do you think that stretching wire is going to bend a 1/2 inch steel bolt, set 7 inches into concrete?
I don't think so.

Then you do not know much about stretching wire. Hell, I could pull the two foot deep cement base out of the ground stretching a corner with my little "Golden Rod" stretcher. Corner posts on a real fence go in the ground four feet deep, and are at least eight inches in diameter. Three feet deep will suffice if you tie two of them together with diagonals and tensioning strands as in an H-brace.

On the other hand, you do not need piano wire tight to keep a chicken fence upright. Still, I would put some diagonal bracing on the corners.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Do you think that stretching wire is going to bend a 1/2 inch steel bolt, set 7 inches into concrete?
I don't think so.

Then you do not know much about stretching wire. Hell, I could pull the two foot deep cement base out of the ground stretching a corner with my little "Golden Rod" stretcher. Corner posts on a real fence go in the ground four feet deep, and are at least eight inches in diameter. Three feet deep will suffice if you tie two of them together with diagonals and tensioning strands as in an H-brace.

On the other hand, you do not need piano wire tight to keep a chicken fence upright. Still, I would put some diagonal bracing on the corners.

No, I don't know much about stretching wire. Mea culpa. Mea culpa maxima.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I really have no idea what the tension on a properly tightened barbed wire fence actually is. But I have seen wire consisting of two 12 1/2 ga steel strands pulled in two while tightening. Then consider this tension load is anchored five feet from the ground.

Now, add three or four more tensioned strands pulling in the same direction to complete the fence. If it is a corner, you have another four or five strands pulling at some angle to the first set.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cement will cure just fine, even under water. I, however, am not a fan of planting wood in concrete. The builder of my home put fence post below grade and did the fill with cement. They're now decomposing. Now I have dig up a big block of cement, as opposed to simply digging a new post hole.

I do have some decking post attached above grade to anchors embedded in cement. They're holding up just fine and will be a snap to replace should the need ever arise.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/29/20.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never set a wood post in concrete. When the concrete cures it pulls away from the post slightly and moisture gets between the concrete and the wood. The post will rot out in a short period of time. Even creosote treated rail road ties will rot quicker with concrete around them. Wood posts should be set with dirt or gravel tamped down around them. Come up in about 4 to 6 inch lifts and tamp down with a tamping bar.
Pipe can be set in concrete and that works very well. As others have said, the corner posts or stretch posts need additional bracing, either H braces or angle braces.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I fugging hate wood posts in concrete.

Hate em.

Why is that Jim?

They sure seem to rot a lot faster.

I am MAGA.
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
I see, didn't know they'd rot quicker. Luckily, if my plan works(they rarely do!) I shouldn't need these to last longer than a few years. After that, they'll hopefully have served their purpose and I'll cut them off a little below ground level if they've started to rot.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
For a chicken coop me thinks this is being overthought a bit here. Dig holes-place posts- pour dry sackkrete and add a bit more water. Stand back and wait a few hours and try to get that post out of the ground.

Last edited by Filaman; 05/30/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Filaman
For a chicken coop me thinks this is being overthought a bit here. Dig holes-place posts- pour dry sackkrete and add a bit more water. Stand back and wait a few hours and try to get that post out of the ground.

+1

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by akasparky
Originally Posted by Filaman
For a chicken coop me thinks this is being overthought a bit here. Dig holes-place posts- pour dry sackkrete and add a bit more water. Stand back and wait about an hour and try to get that post out of the ground.

+1

I got to thinking maybe an hour is a little fast so I ediited it to a few hours. But still, an hour, two hours, three what the hell! You'll play hell getting that post out of the ground.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

OK, I give. I have built a lot of decks, but I have never stretched any wire. Hard for me to believe it would bend a 1/2 inch steel bolt.
Dammit we need 1 inch steel bolts!

Not just better bolts, you need real brackets too.

Those 12ga Home Depot Chinese clips are better left on the shelf, they rust away in record time and can be taken out by a mishap with lawn tractor.

Look for something like these, you'll have to pay for them but they take a lot longer to rust away and there is some strength to them too if structural engineering concerns you.

You'd seldom see these used with fencing due to the expense involved but with the decks you mention it's another thing.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

[Linked Image from hw.menardc.com]

[Linked Image from cuttingedgemetals.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Standby for Art Peck to give you the full ASTM on building a chicken coop.

Really great for a POS inbred TN loser to provide such spacious accommodations for free between such low-placed ears. When moving in I did not expect such lavishly appointed digs. I brought all 22 dogs and they each found great places to pee without interfering with siblings. I assume slumdweller found his personal repository... even if he had to dig through a couple generations.

Facts:
Wood does not rot if it is too wet.
Wood does not rot if it is too dry.

Wood posts dropped in concrete are too wet to rot below grade.
Wood posts dropped in concrete are too dry to rot above grade.
Wood posts dropped in concrete rot like crazy if they have a zone between about 20% MC and 40% MC. Different woods and different conditions affect how things work.

Wood kept above grade keeps forever.

Lots more to say and do, but, losers are losers and arguing against Physics is STUPID!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FYI, MC = Moisture Content....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Until the blowing sand abrades the wood.....
Pretty cool to see old posts like that. That is a dry climate tho....

Wilkes,
I had a buddy who had scars all over his legs from a "ready-mix" mishap. I thought he said they were burns, but maybe the aggregate just tore him up some. ..

The worms eat a little more of my brain every year....

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.