Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
...now the flour in our cookie dough is killing us. It's chock full of deadly bacteria and spreading death faster than Covid. It's coming at us from all sides, guys. We're doomed!

Raw cookie dough: Aside from the egg, there's another important reason you should never taste it
By Michael Bartiromo | Fox News
Raw cookie dough. It’s as bewitching as it is vexing. On one hand, it smells sublime -- but on the other, it contains raw egg, and shouldn’t be eaten until thoroughly baked.

But it’s not just the eggs you should be wary of. Unless you’re whipping up a batch of gluten-free cookies, cookie dough usually contains raw flour, which can also make you very sick.

Yes, raw flour.

According to both the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), raw doughs containing flour -- i.e. cookie dough, pizza dough, tortilla dough -- should not be consumed, or given to children to play with (as a substitute for Play-Doh, for instance), as it can possibly contain harmful bacteria such as E. coli.

Flour is derived from a grain that comes directly from the field and typically is not treated to kill bacteria,” Leslie Smoot, Ph.D., a senior advisor with the FDA’s Office of Food Safety, said of the risk associated with eating raw flour.
The FDA also warned against eating raw eggs and their association with salmonella, but urged that “consumers should be aware that there are additional risks associated with the consumption of raw dough, such as particularly harmful strains of E. coli in a product like flour.”

The CDC cites two recent E. coli outbreaks (in both 2016 and 2019) that sickened over 80 people in recent years, both traced back to flour. To that end, the agency also advises you to throw away any of the recalled flour linked to E. coli outbreaks, in case there’s some still kicking around in your cabinets.

Symptoms of E. coli poisoning can be severe, the FDA says, and include “diarrhea (often bloody) and abdominal cramps,” as well as vomiting. Extreme cases can lead to a certain type of kidney failure that largely affects children under 5, the elderly, or those with compromised immune systems.

Plus, most cases don’t present until several days after ingesting E. coli bacteria, the CDC says.

With that in mind, it’s best to thoroughly cook or bake your raw doughs before eating, clean up any floured workspaces when finished, and avoid allowing children to play with raw dough as a substitute for clay.

Oh, and don’t eat raw cookie dough, as tempting as it might be. Just wait out the agonizing 12 to 14 minutes for your cookies to bake. We know you can do it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Guess I'll continue to live life on the edge.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ate a whole pile of raw dough growing up. My mom always said it would make me sick. Never did. Said I would spoil my appetite by snacking. 0 for 2.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me too. Next thing you know they will tell us not to drink water from the garden hose or swim in ponds...

Harry
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Me too. Next thing you know they will tell us not to drink water from the garden hose or swim in ponds...
CA has banned garden hoses with brass fittings because they think it causes cancer. Hoses sold there have zinc or aluminum fittings.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw this as well this morning and literally laughed out loud...as stated, I live life on the edge...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
As if lifting ones mask to bite into that cookie wasn’t dangerous enough now this!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Load of crap. There is no life on Earth. It all died from aflotoxin on the last flour is deadly scare. But I died before that. As a sickly child I was prescribed raw egg. Dad used to add one and a banana to my milk shake. Kneading bread dough with Gramma was great fun for all us grand kids. So was cutting out sugar cookies with Mom.

Again, a load of crap. Be afraid, very afraid of nature . But the government, CDC for one, is here to protect you.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Your carrots and radishes come out of the soil and are full of bacteria. Are commercially grown ones disinfected?

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Mathsr
CA has banned garden hoses with brass fittings because they think it causes cancer. Hoses sold there have zinc or aluminum fittings.

You've got to be [bleep] me....

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dear God, I am finished.
The girlfriend bought a big pack of raw cookie dough for chocolate chip cookies. When I was a kid it came in a roll like a giant sausage.
These chocolate chip cookies were flat and cut in to one inch squares. When she wasn't looking I ate one raw. Damn it was good, reminded me of the raw cookie dough I always ate as a kid.
So I ate 3 more.

This happened 3 weeks ago. I wonder how many hours of life are left to me.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Rock, You are a nice guy, don't want to yank your chain....but, this is the second time you've brought up brass fittings in CA. I can't find the text of the law you mention online. Last month, at the feed store, I bought 2 new hoses with brass fittings. They do have a little tag that warns that the hoses contain stuff known to be a carcinogen....but so do the wine bottles around here.
So give it a rest, or I will come to Twin Falls D&B and buy all the toxic garden hoses and smuggle them home, under a load of toilet paper.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
And the ones with aluminum seize up if left connected for a long time.

They will not come apart.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've had good clean dirt in my mouth a lot, I ain't dead yet

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been eating raw cookie dough most of my 51 years. I apparently should be dead thousands of times over... My hell how the world has gone completely stupid.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Rock, You are a nice guy, don't want to yank your chain....but, this is the second time you've brought up brass fittings in CA. I can't find the text of the law you mention online. Last month, at the feed store, I bought 2 new hoses with brass fittings. They do have a little tag that warns that the hoses contain stuff known to be a carcinogen....but so do the wine bottles around here.
So give it a rest, or I will come to Twin Falls D&B and buy all the toxic garden hoses and smuggle them home, under a load of toilet paper.

I read that somewhere when they started coming out with the zinc hose fittings. Dang things need to be greased when you screw them together or, if they're together for a while, you'll need pliers to get them apart. Brass has a tiny bit of lead in it and that's the cause for the excitement. At the same time, the feds decided that green colored hoses have a carcinogen in the pigment used to color the rubber. So, if you drink from a green hose with a brass end, nothing will save you from a death worse than cookie dough.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Can we still lick a flag pole in freezing weather?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, about those hoses in CA. They tell you to wash your hands after using one. You need to take turns with your wife holding the hose to wash after holding it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No. You would have to remove your government mandated mask. Or at least bring along a bottle of vodka ant thoroughly sanitize your tongue and mouth. But then they tell me that thorough sanitizing is what leads to flagpole licking with adults.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That writer didn't eat enough dirt as a kid.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 35, 300jimmy, 41rem, 15 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,454
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.