OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Can a non ffl ship to a FFL in california? Am I reading this right

Attached Images
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, you are reading it correctly. A non-licensee can ship a rifle to an FFL in California just like a non-licensee can ship a rifle to an FFL in any other state in the lower 48.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They can, but lots of FFLs in CA will not deal with out of state transfers unless the shipping party is also an FFL. It's stupid, but CA FFLs tend to be very risk averse.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup shop around for your CA FFL.

Also use Calguns.net as a resource. They have a separate subforum for FFLs where you can ask questions etc.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
yes a individual can ship a long arm to a FFL in California. Hand guns have to be FFL to FFL

While its legal some PO people dont know it and even refuse to look it up. I had a big hassle shipping a rifle to Shean Maegan in California. It went to the point that the PO lady called the Sherriff to charge me with trespassing.

I produced the regs and a PO person that had been on lunch agreed that yes they can ship a long arm from a individual t0 FFl

Lefty

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
yes a individual can ship a long arm to a FFL in California. Hand guns have to be FFL to FFL

While its legal some PO people dont know it and even refuse to look it up. I had a big hassle shipping a rifle to Shean Maegan in California. It went to the point that the PO lady called the Sherriff to charge me with trespassing.

I produced the regs and a PO person that had been on lunch agreed that yes they can ship a long arm from a individual t0 FFl

Lefty

What did the sheriff do? What did the know it all do?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck finding a California FFL that will accept it direct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As others have said, YES, it IS legal (Ie: private individual shipping a gun to a FFL that's out of State for a transfer), but it is up to the receiving FFL to say if they will accept it. There is more potential for a headache (legal wise), so many choose no to do so, and prefer FFL to FFL transfers for long guns. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Seems its the Kalifornia FFL that is usually the issue

They don't want to X/fer private outta state sales

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There are a few FFL's in CA that will accept from an individual. What you have to do is go to the California DOJ website and fill out a form for shipping a firearm to CA. Pistols can be a problem, but rifles are not. It does not cost you anything but some of your info. A CA FFL CAN NOT accept any firearm from an FFL or otherwise without that form. It will cost the buyer about $100 to get it registered in CA, as well as paying an 8% tax on the entire transaction.

Last edited by smithrjd; 05/28/20. Reason: content
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

2. I am not an FFL but I want to ship a firearm to a California FFL. Do I have to obtain a Firearms Shipment Approval number before shipping a firearm to California?

No. Only shipments from Federal Firearms Licensees (FFL) require a Firearms Shipment Approval number.

CA DOJ FAQ

If reading that is too much work one could also call them up and ask.

Unfortunately, many CA FFLs do not understand the law, or follow it exactly, which one could argue was the intent of legislating complicated statutes in the first place.

Many non-firearm practicing attorneys do not understand the laws and that includes DAs, which is why these cases often end up with the Supremes.

Walmart got in trouble a few years ago for not following the (then) simple laws to the letter, which is why they no longer sell guns in CA.

Anyway...there it is...

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Interesting, I have not read the "Law" but have had issues registering/receiving a firearm that does not have the DOJ approval form with the shipment. Both from an individual and an FFL. I am not surprised that the FFl's either don't know or don't care. My way or the highway mentality. If the form accompanies the firearm then no issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I shipped one to a member here a few years back. He set it up and it went just like any other rifle sale.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve shipped a schit ton of firearms to FFL’s in California over the decades...both as a licensee (which was a pain in the a$$), because of all the hoops one has to jump through to get it done...and as a non-licensee (which is a piece of cake), because there are no hoops to jump through and no approval number is required when a firearm is being transferred to a California FFL by a private party.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shipped a bunch of rifles and only 1 to California. Never again. Had to do a bunch of extra paperwork crap. Been awhile but I think it had something to do with their approval list for what u can bring in and can't. May be different now. Its been awhile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by k20350
I've shipped a bunch of rifles and only 1 to California. Never again. Had to do a bunch of extra paperwork crap. Been awhile but I think it had something to do with their approval list for what u can bring in and can't. May be different now. Its been awhile

California seems to think that there are people pretending to be FFLs who will somehow do something they don't like. The supposed purpose of the California Firearms Licensee Check System (CFLC) system is to verify that the shipping FFL is indeed a legitimate FFL.

What possible difference it could make when there is a receiving California FFL between the buyer and shipper is a mystery. Like most California laws, the true purpose is to make anything to do with firearms as awkward and expensive as possible.

As stupid as the system is, it takes as much effort to sign up for it the first time as signing up for a new forum. After that it takes about as much effort as posting to a forum to get the required confirmation letter.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
California law requires its FFL dealers to do private party transfers, some or even most will make up every excuse imaginable for why they can't. Most won't follow throw and report their asses, so they get away with it. California sets what they can charge also, that's pretty much ignored too.

Phil

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
California law requires its FFL dealers to do private party transfers, some or even most will make up every excuse imaginable for why they can't. Most won't follow throw and report their asses, so they get away with it. California sets what they can charge also, that's pretty much ignored too.

Phil

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Remsen
They can, but lots of FFLs in CA will not deal with out of state transfers unless the shipping party is also an FFL. It's stupid, but CA FFLs tend to be very risk averse.

I have yet to find a FFL in CA that does NOT receive the only issue I have had is the cost $$$.

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by natman
Originally Posted by k20350

California seems to think that there are people pretending to be FFLs who will somehow do something they don't like. The supposed purpose of the California Firearms Licensee Check System (CFLC) system is to verify that the shipping FFL is indeed a legitimate FFL.

What possible difference it could make when there is a receiving California FFL between the buyer and shipper is a mystery. Like most California laws, the true purpose is to make anything to do with firearms as awkward and expensive as possible.

As stupid as the system is, it takes as much effort to sign up for it the first time as signing up for a new forum. After that it takes about as much effort as posting to a forum to get the required confirmation letter.

When the system was first put in a lot of dealers on gunbroker would not ship to CA until they saw the shops like Buds was making $$$$$$ selling to the 7 million CA gun owners.

Ted
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,612
Posts18,454,920
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.