Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
https://www.deseret.com/opinion/202...apolis-police-central-park-bird-watching

Being African American in the United States is hard. This suit of blackness we wear is heavy and tedious, a constant reminder that we have to be wary of our very existence in everyday spaces and places no matter where we are.

Whether it’s being threatened with calling the police while bird-watching in New York City’s Central Park, being accosted by armed men and killed while jogging in southern Georgia or losing your life in the Twin Cities of Minnesota in an altercation with police, we don’t feel safe.

As a middle-aged black man raised on the south side of Chicago, I didn’t grow up to fear law enforcement, but in today’s climate that has changed dramatically. I dread any potential interaction with police, for fear that I might become the next tragic victim of an innocuous situation gone deadly wrong. It is a fear shared by my wife, Bridget Shears — who is also African American and a south side Chicago native.

“We can’t even be in a place where we’re just standing around. We can get arrested for anything and it takes (authorities in Minneapolis) this long for them to (arrest the kneeling officer),” she said. “I think that’s appalling,” she told me as we discussed the violent week in our Wasatch Front home.

Noting the rage of demonstrators in the Twin Cities that has led to days of civil unrest, my wife lamented that the protests seldom result in justice for the victims of police brutality.

“We’re saying that we’re angry and we don’t get anywhere with our anger. We can talk about it, we can protest, but we have a president who calls us thugs versus people who are carrying firearms and being threatening to (lawmakers) in (Michigan) and that’s OK because those are just good people who just want their life,” she said. “But how about just letting us live?”

She, too, lives in constant fear for the safety of friends and family who happen to be black.

“I’m always afraid. That doesn’t go away. I mean, as a mother, as a sister, as a wife, I never get to put my guard down about being afraid,” she said. “Afraid of you all leaving the house and encountering the police. And so you start thinking about how at least we identify the police as an enemy, but there are (white) people out there that we don’t know, who are also our enemy.”

She continued: “There’s always a fear, and it doesn’t seem like there’s ever a point at which it gets better. Sometimes just hearing from people and making sure that they are OK is a relief — that at least they’re hopefully in their home and safe. But as soon as they walk out the door, there’s always a fear that they won’t return and it could be nothing that they have done except being a black man that is threatening to their livelihood, to their life.”

Yes, being black in America can feel like the sword of Damocles is constantly hanging overhead and going to drop. Recent incidents involving African American men and Caucasian antagonists have become stark reminders of that very reality.

In New York, avid bird-lover Christian Cooper asked a white woman to put her dog on a leash. When she refused, he started filming, then the woman called 911 and said that “an African American man is threatening my life.”

In Brunswick, Georgia, Ahmaud Arbery was shot and killed on Feb. 23 during a confrontation involving three white men as he was jogging through the Satilla Shores neighborhood. And this week, George Floyd was killed by Minneapolis police who were called to investigate the alleged use of counterfeit currency at a retail establishment.

Having lived in Utah for almost 20 years, we often compare our lives today to the environment we grew up in the Midwest. Race has always been an issue, but we seem to be facing many of the same societal challenges decade after decade. And what’s more, in some ways the divide has widened.

We want to believe that life for our 7-year-old grandson may be better and less socially threatening in the years ahead, but part of us worries the future could be fraught with many of the identical concerns currently at issue.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
And the funniest part is, they live in Utah.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being American is being the one of greatest people on earth. African American is degrading the fact you are an American. Americans have no race or skin color. They are the people born in America.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 05/30/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
GTFO.

Yes. It is that simple.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Trump didn’t call them thugs. Those were the rioters. Feelings on the sleeve a bit.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by papat
Trump didn’t call them thugs. Those were the rioters. Feelings on the sleeve a bit.

If the shoe fits...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Urban sh*tholes.

Yup.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This suit of blackness we wear is heavy and tedious, a constant reminder that we have to be wary of our very existence in everyday spaces and places no matter where we are.

Bet hes married to a white gal,

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hang on, lots of folks here have been lumping all Black folks together at every opportunity, for years.

And if nothing else, that essay is an example of the power of the MSM to sway public opinion far from the scene of any trouble or strife.

Lord I hope President Trump wins this upcoming election.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The problem is people see themselves or people they know being held down by the police man in Minnesota.
Most don’t know anyone who will be in this situation. The thugs and under belly of society find themselves in this situation all the time. It’s a common occurrence.
Cops have a taser, nite stick and firearm for a reason. The people they normally deal with are not Girl Scouts.
It’s thugs who kick, bite scratch and head butt cops. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Hang on, lots of folks here have been lumping all Black folks together at every opportunity, for years.

From what I've seen on the TV over the past few days, they lump themselves together pretty well without any help from white folks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Theyre not all black; I've seen chocolate and purple phases.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
BS being BS that is a bunch of BS.

They are part of the problem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How can the police help not profiling when so many of them seem to be misbehaving? Profiling isn't fair, but it happens. My daughter's ex boyfriend was a black man and twice that I know of the police pulled him over on suspicion that he might have drugs in the car because he drove a nice vehicle. Another lady the wife and I know from Minnesota also black, has a good job and drives a BMW. The police pulled her over and asked her whose car she was driving?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I agree with this statement.

"Being African American in the United States is hard. This suit of blackness we wear is heavy and tedious, a constant reminder that we have to be wary of our very existence in everyday spaces and places no matter where we are."

I think they are much better suited to live in Afreaka.

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/30/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Being black is not advantageous anywhere. I would not want to be black. They really do feel not liked and are under suspicion by a sizable portion of the other races in the country. Neither the blacks nor the other races are being irrational in their feelings. Unloved people just like unloved children are prone to be anti social and their behavior becomes a vicious circle. Throw in a somewhat lower intelligence and the attendant poverty that engenders along with easily recognizable physical traits and you have a recipe for disaster. I understand there are lots of exceptional black people that are intelligent and high achieving but they are the exception. Thomas Jefferson was right, slaves were going to become the worst problem this nation would ever face. This issue is going to get worse and worse and no reasonable solution is in sight.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
As a young white man , I was taught to be home at night, and respect those your senior , and if you get caught in another mans home or woman expect the worse .

I don't drive a Beamer, why would you if weren't screaming for attention, I don't wear gold chains around my neck , because they serve no purpose, and are a danger in the work place, I do carry a gun as I'm am legally licenced to do , to protect my wife and my stuff.

If you don't want to be treated like a thug, then don't live the thug life , most times a man needs to look no further than a mirror, to find the source of your own problems .

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
FROM THE ARTICLE
- " ... Noting the rage of [u]demonstrators[/u] in the Twin Cities that has led to days of civil unrest, ..."

" Demonstrators." That is always the same refrain to excuse the looters, arsonists, assaultists, and thieves.

Peaceable assembly to protest and demonstrate against some perceived injustice is acceptable in a society of laws and civilized people. Looting, arson, assaulting innocents, and thievery are law breaking and those who commit those crimes should never be called "demonstrators." They should be arrested and tried at court.

That woman is just turning a blind eye to the crimes committed by the "demonstrators."

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Hastings
Being black is not advantageous anywhere. I would not want to be black. They really do feel not liked and are under suspicion by a sizable portion of the other races in the country. Neither the blacks nor the other races are being irrational in their feelings. Unloved people just like unloved children are prone to be anti social and their behavior becomes a vicious circle. Throw in a somewhat lower intelligence and the attendant poverty that engenders along with easily recognizable physical traits and you have a recipe for disaster. I understand there are lots of exceptional black people that are intelligent and high achieving but they are the exception. Thomas Jefferson was right, slaves were going to become the worst problem this nation would ever face. This issue is going to get worse and worse and no reasonable solution is in sight.

And the great white hope named Lincoln said there was no way they would ever go to school with whites and his plan was to repatriate them to Afreaka.

Just wondering, when did the anti black, lynching, pro KKK, anti civil rights congressional Democrats, suddenly become evil Republicans?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hastings

You failed to mention their often and very large non migratory situation which is a large part of their rampant inbreeding since the 1960s. You cannot continually inbreed with half brothers and sisters without deleterious effects that cause maladjusted humans.

You can’t do it with livestock either.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,485
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.